Interface and settings question

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

0AzK0

Interface and settings question

Post by 0AzK0 »

Hello and thank you for work with SCUMMVM! I'm using your program on my devices since nokia 6630. Now I use android phone Samsung A3 2017 and I have question about new version of Scummvm. Previous version that I used was 2.0.0, almost everything was working fine with it (some problems with right mouse click, long tap was not working for my device, and with 2-finger tap I needed to press second finger twice), but it has very valuable function - touchscreen calibration. Without recalibration I cannot press on parts of the screen near borders, which make impossible to use direct touch control almost everywhere: it is almost impossible to get to Gobliins2 menu, impossible to use zone transitions in Kyrandia etc. This settings menu is called up pressing button "device configuration" during program loading(Sorry, my native language is Russian, so screenshots have it.
[attachment=0]Screenshot_20201108-123936.png[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Screenshot_20201108-123902.png[/attachment]
In new version there is no sign of this menu, moreover the interface become pixelized and choppy. It seems that there is no parameter to set interface scaling. I tried to install Playmarket version or stable development build - every version have this problems. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Interface is not a main problem, I really need to somehow calibrate screen to use this program. Can I somehow bring this setting back?

Thank you for answer
Attachments
Screenshot_20201108-123936.png
Screenshot_20201108-123936.png (41.37 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
Screenshot_20201108-123902.png
Screenshot_20201108-123902.png (87.28 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
Last edited by 0AzK0 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0AzK0

Re: Interface and settings question

Post by 0AzK0 »

Screenshots of old and new version of program menu is attached in this post, I couldn't upload all four files into one post attachments
Attachments
Screenshot_20201108-123950.png
Screenshot_20201108-123950.png (142.48 KiB) Viewed 3519 times
Screenshot_20201108-124101.png
Screenshot_20201108-124101.png (16.91 KiB) Viewed 3519 times
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Hello,

We are looking into and working on the UI scaling issue.
It should be alleviated if you enable "Filter Graphics" from the "Options..." -> "Graphics" tab, but a better solution should be coming soon with the next update.

These changes you mention are a result of switching back to code that does not use SDL. This was mainly due to the toolchain set-up and update process (and cross-compilation of third party libraries) being really cumbersome to maintain for the SDL port.

Could you help me understand this "touchscreen calibration" feature? How did it solve the issue for you?
I suppose that this is only an issue with "direct" touch mode and not the 'touchpad mouse mode".
I typically work with "touchpad mouse mode" enabled. However, if I disable that, I don't seem to have issues moving the cursor to the edges and corners of the screen on the two devices that I've tested.
0AzK0

Post by 0AzK0 »

[b]Praetorian[/b], thank you for answer. I got the situation with UI, hope you'll find way to fix it one day.
As for touchscreen calibration, I know that some other android devices can work near borders, I once had Samsung note 8.0 it was working well for both s-pen and finger touch. As for phones it is not so bright, both my current phone and my previous phone(Samsung S4 mini) have troubles with recognizing clicks near edges of the screen. I'll give you a screenshot of calibration result on version 2.0.0. I had to compress it a bit, because file was too large. Plus I added black border for it to show inactive screen parts. The way to fix it without calibration is to shrink game screen a bit, that it can be placed in place of green marker.
If you need any other information - I can give it, just ask :)
Attachments
calibration.jpg
calibration.jpg (112.4 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I will try to test with the old Android 2.0.0, to see how this worked.
If it just restricted the screen area with black border around, then it could be easy to replicate. Hopefully.
0AzK0

Post by 0AzK0 »

I don't know how it was made in source, but my guess that touchscreen area, covered by green marker, is used as all available screen for position calculation purposes. It does not affect game screen itself, only limiting field of actions. So, in my case, this calibration will add some shift from real(absolute) position, but really it doesn't matter.
As simple workaround you could add possibility to add inactive borders from all side of the screen, possibly simply add another screen mode for it, like "centered" one (This one have disabled scaling), but scaled using screen width-shift/height-shift instead of correct width/height . Or maybe you could simply add scaling parameter to centered one? My guess that scaling have to be float value, I doubt we cound get proper integer value for it (but I may be wrong)
BoTToX

Post by BoTToX »

personally I find the ui of v2.2 very ugly, and I would like to have an option to reset the theme of v2.0
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

BoTToX wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:27 am personally I find the ui of v2.2 very ugly, and I would like to have an option to reset the theme of v2.0
Scaling issues aside, which I've already written that we're working on, you can choose the theme of ScummVM via: Options... -> Misc (tab) -> click on "Theme:"

"ScummVM Modern Theme Remastered" is the current one.
"ScummVM Modern Theme" is the previous one, and the one that 2.0 used.
0AzK0

Post by 0AzK0 »

Hello. I have found temporary workaround for my problem: there are programs, that change screen resolution for various purposes in the Play market, for me this program had worked in best way, ScreenShift: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... reenshift2
All that is need to be done is to set overscan values for all 4 borders 2-3%, save profile and apply it only to Scummvm. Now screen in program will have borders and cursor will still be limited to emulator's screen.
Negative part of this way: 1) You'll need root for this program; 2) Playing with settings can make phone unusable, in the worst case you'll need to do factory reset via recovery
BoTToX

Post by BoTToX »

Praetorian wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:20 am
BoTToX wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:27 am personally I find the ui of v2.2 very ugly, and I would like to have an option to reset the theme of v2.0
Scaling issues aside, which I've already written that we're working on, you can choose the theme of ScummVM via: Options... -> Misc (tab) -> click on "Theme:"

"ScummVM Modern Theme Remastered" is the current one.
"ScummVM Modern Theme" is the previous one, and the one that 2.0 used.
Sorry i did'nt see this :oops:
Ty