scarmona wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:02 pm
Sandman1973 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:57 pm
- The on screen keyboard appears for the tablet, but this appears over the bottom part of the screen - where you'd expect it. But this covers the text and entry area. Any chance the "game area" could be shrunk so the keyboard could appear under it and not on top of it?
- It might be useful to allow the screen to be rotated too to play these in portrait mode?
I absolutely agree with these two combined as well!
For those who use a device with a stylus (phone or tablet) this could be very very handy to play older Sierra games that required text parser input. Playing the games in portrait mode, with the software keyboard ready to use at the bottom, the (smaller) game area at the top, and using the stylus (or Bluetooth mouse if you want to go fancy) to move the character, would be a dream come true.
Thanks for considering!
Thank you for your feedback.
There is indeed consideration for this feature, internally. However, it could require a lot of work (I know in the past this was my experience when supporting both screen orientations and switching between them).
Thus it falls outside the scope of this particular beta. It may still come in the future or a more experienced Android developer could surprise us and issue a Pull Request that can be integrated before the beta goes live (one can only dream, eh?).
Still, I will *try* to improve the existing keyboard for this beta, mainly in these directions:
- Add more functional keys, that are present on a common qwerty keyboard
- Have it be semi-transparent, like the one in Android 2.0
- Support floating capability, so that you can move it around the screen and out of the way.
- I'll have a look about how hard it would be to support the shrinking screen functionality (when the keyboard comes up). I am not a big fan of this big change being added into this beta, but if it's easy, straightforward to implement (I've seen that Android SDK already has some options about this) and can be made as a GUI setting, *maybe* it'll make it in.
Hopefully, I'll have something soon, in time for the next beat update (or 2.2.1 final, if that's the next step)