Feedback on 2.2.1pre (Beta)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Feedback on 2.2.1pre (Beta)

Post by Praetorian »

cnikiel wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:50 am I have tried 2.2.1 again on my android TV box on my FullHD TV and still have the same issues as with the 2.1.0.
I can not read any of the text as it is extremely tiny.
Looks like 5bit font on the big screen.
The games themselves work fine, but due to the tiny font I am not sure which game I am actually starting.
Is there any way to change the font for the gui or change the scaling of the GUI?
I tried the graphics filter, but that did not change anything.

Thanks for all the great work and teleporting me back into my childhood ;-)
Currently there is no manual selection. The app is choosing automatically between low resolution or high resolution based on screen dpi (and maybe resolution I am unsure). The result is sometimes not optimal, but this did fix the tiny text for some devices :)

But there is work under-way for improving this and we probably will be adding a few manual options as well.
cnikiel

Post by cnikiel »

In that case I will have to be patient for an update.
Making this manual selectable sounds like a good idea.

Thanks.
rsc2

Post by rsc2 »

Hello,
is it possible to implement the onscreen button mapping function, which has been available within SDL port? This was really one of the most useful functions to be able to map right click button on the screen anywhere I wanted.
Good job in this project anyway.
Fullpom

Post by Fullpom »

Lots of very interesting changes in this version but a lot of bugs have appeared. I'm on Android :D
_Loss of shaders like hqx.
_Interface become very pixelated.
_Bug during file search (empty, already present in previous versions).
_The material return to interface have disapeared.
_etc.
I admire the work of your team on this application but it would be preferable to publish only the stable versions and not the "pre" ones or then publish 2 separate applications.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Fullpom wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:38 pm Lots of very interesting changes in this version but a lot of bugs have appeared. I'm on Android :D
_Loss of shaders like hqx.
_Interface become very pixelated.
_etc.
I admire the work of your team on this application but it would be preferable to publish only the stable versions and not the "pre" ones or then publish 2 separate applications.
The Android release is considered stable. The "pre" part is for us (the ScummVM team) mostly to know, and also to indicate that even though there is not an "global" 2.2.1 ScummVM release, the Android release comes from that "branch" of code.

Of course there will be bugs, and we will try to fix as much as we can, according to our time and team availability. We are working on a volunteer basis, and we are looking for Android developers to help out.

About the bugs you mention:
- The loss of the SDL scalers is a known issue. We might offer an alternative but it's not a priority at the moment.
- The pixelation on the SDL launcher is a known issue. There is work on the way to fix this (or reduce it significantly).

Please provide more information about the other issues you have encountered.
_etc.
- File search should work ok. What is your Android OS version? What is your device model? What is the issue for you exactly? Can you not see any files at all and are unable to add games?
- "The material return to interface have disapeared." Sorry, I am not sure what you mean here. Can you rephrase and describe in more detail what the issue is?
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Where do I report bugs with the Android version?
I looked up the bugtracker, but it seems... quite inactive?

I absolutely LOVE what you have done for Android with 2.2.1 - Cloud support, Fluidsynth working with the famous FatBoy soundfont... amazing work!

I seem to be having problems with relative mouse support.

1) The first left click(single touch) does not register after a right click (double touch). One must double click after a right click for the LBM to register
2) Cursor sometimes jumps to the upper right corner out of the blue, after right clicking or left clicking after the right click.

Where can I report that?

Other than that, perfect work!
Absolutely loving it (along with the AGS port for Android it has made my phone a portable adventure games player :))
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Jinx1337 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:00 am Where do I report bugs with the Android version?
I looked up the bugtracker, but it seems... quite inactive?

I absolutely LOVE what you have done for Android with 2.2.1 - Cloud support, Fluidsynth working with the famous FatBoy soundfont... amazing work!

I seem to be having problems with relative mouse support.

1) The first left click(single touch) does not register after a right click (double touch). One must double click after a right click for the LBM to register
2) Cursor sometimes jumps to the upper right corner out of the blue, after right clicking or left clicking after the right click.

Where can I report that?

Other than that, perfect work!
Absolutely loving it (along with the AGS port for Android it has made my phone a portable adventure games player :))
I'm glad you're enjoying the port!

Our bug tracker is here:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/report

It needs a github account for login as far as I know.

However, the issues you mention may have been fixed or at the very least improved with some recent commits in the code. For now, these changes are in the 2.3.0git development builds, and not in the stable ones, but they will be part of the next stable ScummVM release, whenever that may be.

I can't 100% promise the specific issues you mention have been fixed though. It's just that I did rework the code for left and right click and touch & multiple finger gestures and did some testing afterwards and haven't noticed such as the ones that you mention. But you'll have to test for yourself and report back if the issues persist.

You could try a daily development build (most likely the ARM64 if you own a recent enough smartphone), but keep in mind that the development daily builds are not compatible with the Google Play Store releases as far as upgrading between them goes, so essentially you'd be uninstalling one version (removing configuration files and local saves etc) and clean-installing the other. For the development builds you'd also need to set up your phone to allow installing 3rd party applications.

So the choice for now is either to wait for the next Play Store release (or beta if we go through that process before release), or to try the development build if you don't mind losing the current configuration and any local stored data (data on external physical storage (eg. SD card) or Cloud should remain unchanged).
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Thank you for your kind reply.
Been a fan of your work since the very early days of SCUMMVM.

I will try the daily/nightly build and commit to bug reporting, as I have in the past (in the case of an old PSP port); the least I can do to help.
One last question - is the ResidualVM part of the android build too? Or is it not yet included?

edit:
Already tried the new daily and have some suggestions regarding the gestures (the issue has indeed been fixed to an extent, but I think there's one slight thing that would improve the overall comfort); can I PM you with them?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Jinx1337 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:46 pm Thank you for your kind reply.
Been a fan of your work since the very early days of SCUMMVM.

I will try the daily/nightly build and commit to bug reporting, as I have in the past (in the case of an old PSP port); the least I can do to help.
One last question - is the ResidualVM part of the android build too? Or is it not yet included?

edit:
Already tried the new daily and have some suggestions regarding the gestures (the issue has indeed been fixed to an extent, but I think there's one slight thing that would improve the overall comfort); can I PM you with them?
Nice!

Better write suggestions here, or on the bug tracker, for more developers to read and maybe discuss about them. PM won't work as well.

For the Android port, ResidualVM is not yet merged with ScummVM; there's still some work to be done on that front. I hope I get time to look into it soon!
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

I have noticed a small issue with the virtual keyboard and I thought to post it here instead of making a new thread.

I'm using 2.3.0git15499-geab3297983 currently and noticed that the v key is not respecting the shift key. Instead of analyzing uppercase V it still just creates a lowercase v. And it's the only one that does that, at least for the letters. Everything else works fine.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

EctoOne wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:47 pm I have noticed a small issue with the virtual keyboard and I thought to post it here instead of making a new thread.

I'm using 2.3.0git15499-geab3297983 currently and noticed that the v key is not respecting the shift key. Instead of analyzing uppercase V it still just creates a lowercase v. And it's the only one that does that, at least for the letters. Everything else works fine.
Do you mean in the filter field of the ScummVM launcher?
Intestestingly I'm noticing the same thing on a local build from current source code (master) on Windows. I wonder if this is a side-effect or regression from the Easter Egg code.
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

Praetorian wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:08 pm
EctoOne wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:47 pm I have noticed a small issue with the virtual keyboard and I thought to post it here instead of making a new thread.

Do you mean in the filter field of the ScummVM launcher?
Intestestingly I'm noticing the same thing on a local build from current source code (master) on Windows. I wonder if this is a side-effect or regression from the Easter Egg code.
I was noticing it when I was editing some game names but you're also right. It is the same issue when using the filter field.

It seems to be just a ScummVM GUI issue. I just tried it with Larry 3 and it worked fine. Since I don't know what the Easter Egg was, I can't give my opinion on it.