Feedback on 2.2.1pre (Beta)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Feedback on 2.2.1pre (Beta)

Post by Praetorian »

Sandman1973 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:03 pm I had considered making the keyboard float, but I'd forgot how to do it. Just looked it up and tried. It would work although not ideal. But this has uncovered another oddity. When I type on the keyboard nothing appears until I hide the keyboard!!
We will be pushing an updated beta which will restore your old config (hopefully).
- The current one will be replaced completely,
- the old (recovered) one will be moved in ScummVM's app space (so it will also be gone from its current location).

This update should also fix the issue with the keyboard input not echoing directly what the user is typing.
Vince wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:33 pm Sorry but I don't know how to go about that process.
It's ok. I'll open the ticket, probably tomorrow.
Edit: I created the ticket. For reference or if you want to provide more feedback, it is here: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11742
Vince

Post by Vince »

Praetorian wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:41 pm
Sandman1973 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:03 pm I had considered making the keyboard float, but I'd forgot how to do it. Just looked it up and tried. It would work although not ideal. But this has uncovered another oddity. When I type on the keyboard nothing appears until I hide the keyboard!!
We will be pushing an updated beta which will restore your old config (hopefully).
- The current one will be replaced completely,
- the old (recovered) one will be moved in ScummVM's app space (so it will also be gone from its current location).

This update should also fix the issue with the keyboard input not echoing directly what the user is typing.
Vince wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:33 pm Sorry but I don't know how to go about that process.
It's ok. I'll open the ticket, probably tomorrow.
Edit: I created the ticket. For reference or if you want to provide more feedback, it is here: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11742
Thank you so much for your awesome work!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

The new beta update is being rolled out (currently under review on the Play Store).

It should:
- Recover your lost config file and use that instead of the new one.
- Input from the virtual keyboard will be handled now immediately, instead of waiting for the user to write full words (press space or enter), which resulted in buggy input to the games.

Let us know if it fixed the aforementioned issues for you and of any further feedback you might have about it.
Sandman1973

Post by Sandman1973 »

Praetorian wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:13 pm The new beta update is being rolled out (currently under review on the Play Store).

It should:
- Input from the virtual keyboard will be handled now immediately, instead of waiting for the user to write full words (press space or enter), which resulted in buggy input to the games.

Let us know if it fixed the aforementioned issues for you and of any further feedback you might have about it.
Just noticed this post so I've just grabbed the beta and...

It has indeed restored and moved my config. All good there. Although that does mean that I can't see and back it up if I want to.

The keyboard does respond correctly now and text appears as pressed.

But, I'm using the Google keyboard and the options to float it are not above the keys (just numbers - even though always show numbers is off for the keyboard and they are not show when used elsewhere). So the only way to float the keyboard is to turn this on outside of ScummVM and then load up ScummVM.

Otherwise all good. Just need the games to save and restore now.

Thanks
Vince

Post by Vince »

Hopefully one day they can fix the blurry interface bug. :?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Vince wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:29 pm Hopefully one day they can fix the blurry interface bug. :?
I committed a fix for this. It won't look blurry but it won't look very pretty either (even though I actually prefer it this way). This will be affected by the Options->Graphics->Filter Graphic checkbox.

It will be part of the next beta update (or 2.2.1 stable).
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Sandman1973 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:05 pm
Praetorian wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:13 pm The new beta update is being rolled out (currently under review on the Play Store).

It should:

Just noticed this post so I've just grabbed the beta and...

It has indeed restored and moved my config. All good there. Although that does mean that I can't see and back it up if I want to.

The keyboard does respond correctly now and text appears as pressed.

But, I'm using the Google keyboard and the options to float it are not above the keys (just numbers - even though always show numbers is off for the keyboard and they are not show when used elsewhere). So the only way to float the keyboard is to turn this on outside of ScummVM and then load up ScummVM.

Otherwise all good. Just need the games to save and restore now.

Thanks
I'm glad to hear that most of it is working :)

Yes, I had a feeling that the floating options on the keyboard would be gone, since I had to reduce the keyboard to the simplest format possible in order for direct-input to work ok.

However, the next step is to enhance the keyboard. I am not sure about the floating option, but extra keys and transparency should be possible. Should be ready in the next 2.2.1 beta update (or stable 2.2.1)
Vince

Post by Vince »

Blurry fixed on last beta (Oct 3 2020) but now we cannot add games. Directory was empty
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Vince wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:25 pm [...] but now we cannot add games. Directory was empty
Could you elaborate a bit?
Is the issue that you can browse into a game's folder, but ScummVM does not detect it?
Or is it no longer possible to find the folder at all?
(or something else).
What Android OS version is this?
Vince

Post by Vince »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:41 am
Vince wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:25 pm [...] but now we cannot add games. Directory was empty
Is the issue that you can browse into a game's folder, but ScummVM does not detect it?
(or something else).
When I go into different folders from root, ScummVM shows absolutely nothing. I'm on Android 10.

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Vince wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:21 am
Praetorian wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:41 am
(or something else).
When I go into different folders from root, ScummVM shows absolutely nothing. I'm on Android 10.

Oh, damn.

This could be a side-effect of us targeting API 29 (from API 28) as Google mandates that all updates should do from November, but my physical devices are only updated up to Android 9 (API 28) -- so I must have missed this on the emulated one in Android Studio.
From 2 November 2020, app updates must target Android 10 (API level 29) or higher.
https://developer.android.com/distribut ... target-sdk

See, this is why I am beginning to resent Android development. :D

I will switch it back to 28, and hopefully our update will be going live before November the 2nd *or* we will have found a solution for API 29s restrictions by then.

On a side note: we need Android developers to help out and possibly a dedicated Android developer! Please, if you are someone who has experience on Android development or know someone who could help and can reach out to them, please consider contributing to the ScummVM Android port.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Vince wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:21 am When I go into different folders from root, ScummVM shows absolutely nothing. I'm on Android 10.
I've pushed the commit that reverts us back to targeting API 28.

If you are checking with developer builds, please check at some point later today or tomorrow (after the builds on our automated buildbot are done), and tell me if the issue is fixed now.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:37 am
Vince wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:21 am When I go into different folders from root, ScummVM shows absolutely nothing. I'm on Android 10.
I've pushed the commit that reverts us back to targeting API 28.

If you are checking with developer builds, please check at some point later today or tomorrow (after the builds on our automated buildbot are done), and tell me if the issue is fixed now.
Ok, i'll do that. Thank you!
Krampus

Post by Krampus »

Hi!
I am testing the latest (beta) release 2.2.1pre on my Huawei MediaPad5 Lite 10 (Android 8).
My old config-file has been accepted and all games (stored on SD card) from previous version (1.8) are there :) and working :D

I am referring to MT-32 emulation. It seems MT32 only works, when the ROM-files are directly placed inside the respective game folder. With older releases of ScummVM you simply had to place ROM-files in the app path - but I can't find that any longer.

Another problem I found: I can't add any new games. I am unable to choose any directory. The window's empty - no access to internal and external memory.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Krampus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:58 pm I am referring to MT-32 emulation. It seems MT32 only works, when the ROM-files are directly placed inside the respective game folder. With older releases of ScummVM you simply had to place ROM-files in the app path - but I can't find that any longer.
I didn't know that you could put them centrally in the ScummVM app path. If it still works like that (meaning it's not a general change for how MT32 ROM file are handled), it should suffice to place the ROMs in a folder on your Android and then go to Options -> Paths and set "Extra Path:" to the folder where those roms are placed. This folder could be used to place other such files that you want ScummVM to find.
This should work, once the folder access bug is sorted, that is. See below.

I will also add the external app path to the ScummVM search path in the next update, so that one, at least in theory, will be another place to put the ROMs and such files, without setting the Extra Path via options.
You should be able to see the full path for the ScummVM external app path, when you select the "ScummVM data (Ext)/" option in the top root level of the dialogue where you add new games from.
Krampus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:58 pm Another problem I found: I can't add any new games. I am unable to choose any directory. The window's empty - no access to internal and external memory.
This sounds like the issue Vince mentioned above. It should be fixed in the next beta update.