Feedback on 2.2.1pre (Beta)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vince

Re: Feedback on 2.2.1pre (Beta)

Post by Vince »

Krampus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:58 pm Another problem I found: I can't add any new games. I am unable to choose any directory. The window's empty - no access to internal and external memory.
It is exactly the same issue
Sandman1973

Post by Sandman1973 »

I've just started playing a point and click game and saved it. Now I can't find the save file. Are the save games in the ScummVM's app space for the beta too like the config is now. I noticed that there is a betasave folder with my text game save attempts, but the new one is not there - is that just temporary for the new game engines in the beta?

I guess I should have set a save game folder before starting - can I retrieve the save game (or config) in any way if I change from the default locations?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Sandman1973 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:28 pm I've just started playing a point and click game and saved it. Now I can't find the save file. Are the save games in the ScummVM's app space for the beta too like the config is now. I noticed that there is a betasave folder with my text game save attempts, but the new one is not there - is that just temporary for the new game engines in the beta?

I guess I should have set a save game folder before starting - can I retrieve the save game (or config) in any way if I change from the default locations?
I don't think the old saves carry to the new explicitly set location. (This is a ScummVM thing, not Android port's).

If using the default (internal app path) you can retrieve your config (scummvm.ini) for reading or downloading, if you use the LAN server functionality:
- via ScummVM's launcher -> Options... -> LAN -> Start Server
- Set "/root/Path:" to the preset "ScummVM data (int)" (which can be found if you navigate to the top level directory, if you are not there by default)
- Click Apply
- Keep the LAN tab open and the ScummVM app active on the device. (otherwise the server will stop)
- Using a browser navigate to the server's shown IP (on the LAN tab next to the "Stop server" button), and choose: "File system root"
You should be able to find the scummvm.ini in this folder and download it.

Saves in internal app memory can be retrieved in the same way. They will be under: "File system root" -> "saves"

Keep in mind that:
- when accessing the LAN server via the IP shown on the tab, there will be folder shown named "Saved games". This is supposed to be a shortcut to your default saved games location, but it won't work for now (this is a known bug).
- the LAN server can be used to download files, but currently cannot be used to upload files. This is again tracked as the same bug as above

Also, especially for the save games, you can use the Cloud synch functionality, setting it up via the Options.. -> Cloud (Tab) view, so they would be also synched (saved and/or retrieved) from a shared storage location on a service that you set up (currently supported: Dropbox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive and Box).

It is also recommended that you back up your saves in one of those two ways (Cloud synching being the better way of the two, in my opinion), as saved games in the default app memory locations will be wiped if you completely uninstall ScummVM from your device.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Edit: About this specific issue:
Sandman1973 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:28 pm I've just started playing a point and click game and saved it. Now I can't find the save file.
I am assuming you mean that you can still see and load the saved game via the ScummVM app, but the issue is that you cannot find it via a File Explorer app on your Android device.

Or is the issue that you cannot find and load the save using ScummVM altogether?

The change should not be temporary by the way. ScummVM will by default use the Internal app space for saving games, because it's guaranteed to always be available and accessible to the app. The user of course can set a different path explicitly (globally in Options..., or per game via Edit Game...) but then it's the user's responsibility to keep that path available and accessible.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Last beta works fine!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Vince wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:44 am Last beta works fine!
I wonder about the theme. Was it shown with the classic GUI theme (this green/black thing) or you switched it to it? E.g. by default, the screenshot should look something like the following:

Eugene
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Vince wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:44 am Image

Last beta works fine!
Good to know! Thank you for the feedback.

I should clarify for the others, that Vince is testing with development builds from our buildbot. The folder browsring fixes are not in the live beta on the Play Store yet.
Sandman1973

Post by Sandman1973 »

Yes, I was trying to find them with a File Explorer, ScummVM shows them fine.

That's great I had no idea that the "LAN server functionality" was there. Thanks, got my save files now for relocation and backup.
guybrushfan30

Post by guybrushfan30 »

I Hope We Get An Release Date For ScummVM 2.2.0 SDL (Google Play Store Version) Soon, Because I’m Trying To
Get The GPD XD Plus From AliExpress & Play Newly Supported Games On It & Also Play & My 2
Favorite Games Like Monkey Island 1-3 & The Neverhood. Last Thing, I Saw A YouTube Video Before Of Some Guy
Trying An Older Android Porter Of ScummVM On GPD XD Plus & Some Games.
Link To The Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HYsQ4bJ3kn8

EDIT: The Guy In The YouTube Video Was Made By The YouTuber “Byte Size Thoughts” & The Device I Believe
Is Not The GPD XD Plus But The Original GPD XD, Sorry About That.
Vince

Post by Vince »

This error was related to a title called Drascula.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Vince wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:22 am Image

It looks like a required data file for that game is missing.
Is the file "96.alg" in your game folder?
Can you please check if this issue exists on the desktop version of ScummVM as well?
Vince

Post by Vince »

Praetorian wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:36 am

Can you please check if this issue exists on the desktop version of ScummVM as well?
Same game seems to work on Desktop version.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Vince wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:13 am

And is the requested file in your game folder on your Android device?
Vince

Post by Vince »

Praetorian wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:39 am
Vince wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:13 am
And is the requested file in your game folder on your Android device?
Nope, but it's not in the desktop version either
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Vince wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:00 pm Nope, but it's not in the desktop version either
Hmm, I think I see a potential problem, even though I still haven't debugged. The game has all its files in one archive file. ScummVM desktop handles this correctly, and Android doesn't for some reason (even though the port inherently has zlib statically compiled to handle compressed documents...).

I'll have a closer look later on.

Can you clarify if the error occurs straight away? Because on my smartdevice (Android 7.1.1) I can launch the game ok. Edit: just tested on the API 30+ emulated device, and it also runs the game ok.

If the error occurs on a specific point during the game, please provide a save game close to that point. Otherwise, it could be a case of corrupted data file on your part.