"Touchpad mouse mode" doesn´t work | always in "direct mode" (AMAZON FIRE HD 8 | 2020)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Expello

"Touchpad mouse mode" doesn´t work | always in "direct mode" (AMAZON FIRE HD 8 | 2020)

Post by Expello »

Hi,

My Hardware:
AMAZON Fire HD 8 (10th generation |2020)

I change the Control settings in "Touchpad mouse mode", but my touchpad is always in direct mode.

I tested the Playstore version, the latest stable (2.1.1) and the nightly build (2.3.0 git363-g80c29d1c94).

In GUI or in Game...always in direct mode. :(

Thanks for your help!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: "Touchpad mouse mode" doesn´t work | always in "direct mode" (AMAZON FIRE HD 8 | 2020)

Post by Praetorian »

Expello wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 pm I tested the Playstore version, the latest stable (2.1.1) and the nightly build (2.3.0 git363-g80c29d1c94).

In GUI or in Game...always in direct mode. :(

Thanks for your help!
Hello, I cannot reproduce this issue as of yet on my Android devices.

If you don't care about losing your existing settings, added games and save game paths, could you try first to completely uninstall any ScummVM app on your device? *Or, even better* go through your device's Settings->app->ScummVM->Storage and delete any data (cached or otherwise) for ScummVM.

Because I do remember some time ago, having some weird behavior after switching back and forth between installing the Play Store version and the newer development ones. I am not sure if it was related to the touch control behavior though.
Expello

Re: "Touchpad mouse mode" doesn´t work | always in "direct mode" (AMAZON FIRE HD 8 | 2020)

Post by Expello »

Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

I tried it the way you wrote, deleted everything before, then uninstalled an install the latest stable release but the problem remains.

If you like, you can have a look at it yourself, via Teamviewer or Anydesk Session.

I am at a loss.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Expello wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:15 am Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

I tried it the way you wrote, deleted everything before, then uninstalled an install the latest stable release but the problem remains.

If you like, you can have a look at it yourself, via Teamviewer or Anydesk Session.

I am at a loss.
I saw that you submitted this as a bug. That's good because someone with the device could try to reproduce the issue on their and give us more feedback.

I am not sure that a remote session would help me tell what's going on and, in any case, I'm thinking that I could compile a special build with debug prompts to give us some hints about what is going on. This might take a while though due to high work load.
Expello

Post by Expello »

That would be really fantastic, I am ready for all mischief. ;-)
Expello

Post by Expello »

I have now tested the retroarch scummvm core (2.1.1), here the touchpad mode works immediately. :D

But unfortunately bladerunner runs very bad, stuttering sound, graphic errors etc. :(

I hope there will be a solution for the scummvm app soon.
jacobh

Post by jacobh »

I know this is an older thread, but I just installed ScummVM on my tablet recently and ran into the exact same problem and Google led me here.

I'm not an Android developer, but I took a look at the code and I think I found the bug in the Android backend MouseHelper. It looks like the check to see if the event came from a stylus here has a problem. According to the Android InputDevice docmentation, the SOURCE_STYLUS "merely indicates that an input device is capable of obtaining input from a stylus."

It appears the fix to check for stylus input is to instead check the tool type returned by MotionEvent#getToolType(int). I wrote a small test app and confirmed that for touch events the Fire HD8 (2020) tablet has the InputDevice flag for SOURCE_STYLUS always set. I also confirmed that checking the ToolType of a touch screen event returned TOOL_TYPE_FINGER and not TOOL_TYPE_STYLUS. I don't think this is specific to Fire tablets; I was able to reproduce it on an emulated device, but I don't have any other real tablets.

I added this information to the bug ticket and I will try to setup my machine to compile ScummVM for Android sometime this week to test a fix. If that works, it seems like I would be able to just submit a pull request against that ticket if I read the developer wiki page.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Thank you for looking further into it. What you write makes sense, especially given the description for SOURCE_STYLUS.

A PR would be welcome, and I'll try to review and provide feedback ASAP.
jacobh

Post by jacobh »

I was able to build a new version locally and try it out on my Fire. I only tried a few games, but it seemed to fix the issue. The direct, touch pad, and game pad modes all seem to work like I would expect.

I put in a PR. I didn't change the KeyEvent check since those events don't have a ToolType. I also don't think the stylus check matters for a key event and can probably be removed, but I kept the change as small as possible for this issue.

Until this makes it into a release, anyone having issues can try to use a bluetooth mouse with their tablet when practical.