Load/Save greyed out [solved]

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

firtzi

Load/Save greyed out [solved]

Post by firtzi »

Hi!
Using ScummVM 2.0.0 from the play store on a Kindle Fire HD 10 I can not get saving to work. There is no error message, I simply can't press the buttons as they are deactivated. Not from within the game via F5 menu and not from the launcher ("Load...") either.

I tried several save paths in options/paths to no avail. Other Scumm versions (2.1.1, 2.1.2, nightly build stable/unstable) did wor even worse. I could not select any path at all (tried entering "/" but did nothing).

Is the issue that ScummVM can't read/write from the savegames path?

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by firtzi on Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Load/Save greyed out

Post by criezy »

Not necessarily. Some games, such as Simon the Sorcerer, do not use the ScummVM save game mechanism. For those the Save and Load buttons in the ScummVM Launcher and F5 menu are disabled. You need to use the game own save/load mechanism. For some other games saving and loading is not allowed everywhere in the game, so the buttons may be disabled in some part of the game.

To answer more precisely it would thus help to know which game you are playing.
firtzi

Post by firtzi »

Sure. The game is Freddi Fish 3 The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell (1998) (German version)

It was the same with Tuff Tuff saves the Zoo.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

firtzi wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:32 pm Sure. The game is Freddi Fish 3 The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell (1998) (German version)

It was the same with Tuff Tuff saves the Zoo.
Please try the latest development Android build in the daily builds page. It should be version 2.2.0git.
Does the issue persist there?

I may be able to try to reproduce for the development build (or the latest stable) later.
firtzi

Post by firtzi »

I tried with "Beneath a steel sky". It works fine. As soon as I add BASS the "Load..." button in the launcher gets activated. If I switch to Freddi Fish in the list it gets deactivated again.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Freddi Fish 3 is one of the games that doesn't use the ScummVM save game mechanism. Check the manual that came with the game to find out how to save or load within that game (from memory I think it might be the L and S keys for load and save respectively).
firtzi

Post by firtzi »

BTW it's the very same on an old Fire HD 8.

It will take me a couple of days to install the 2.2.0git version because I don't want to interrupt the game (again) before it's finished. That .apk won't install on the old Fire HD 8, I guess because it's an older CPU.

Thank you very much for your support!
firtzi

Post by firtzi »

criezy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:30 pm Freddi Fish 3 is one of the games that doesn't use the ScummVM save game mechanism. Check the manual that came with the game to find out how to save or load within that game (from memory I think it might be the L and S keys for load and save respectively).
Wow! Works like a charm! Thanks a bunch! :D
Cricri

Re: Load/Save greyed out [solved]

Post by Cricri »

Yes, some Humongous games have the save/load option within the game menu (typically by clicking in the bottom left or right corner), and some can be accessed with L and S keys on the keyboard.