Scummvm 2.1.1 looking for SD card

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ventrolloquist

Scummvm 2.1.1 looking for SD card

Post by ventrolloquist »

Hi guys. I downloaded version 2.1.1 off the website and it says it can't find an SD card. When I try adding a game the directory is empty, pressing choose says the directory is being downloaded into. I recently used the playstore version and it worked fine but had to get this version to get Blade Runner working.

Any ideas what might be happening and how to solve this apart from buying an sd card?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Re: Scummvm 2.1.1 looking for SD card

Post by digitall »

Maybe the same issue? viewtopic.php?p=88006#p88006

"When launching ScummVM you will see for a short time (only few seconds) a bar on top of the screen which will say "CHANGE DEVICE CONFIGURATION". This happens only in this version of Android (2.0, AndroidSDL port).

Click on that bar and then select "Data installation location". If "SD card storage" is selected, then click on the "Internal storage" option. If the "Internal storage" is selected then click on "SD card storage" option. Then press OK (in the bottom of the list) and click on the "Add Game..." button. You should see a proper path in the address bar now.

You should also be able to switch back to your original Data installation location setting, if you repeat the above process and select what your original setting was (SD card or Internal storage are recommended)."
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

ventrolloquist wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:29 am Hi guys. I downloaded version 2.1.1 off the website and it says it can't find an SD card. When I try adding a game the directory is empty, pressing choose says the directory is being downloaded into. I recently used the playstore version and it worked fine but had to get this version to get Blade Runner working.

Any ideas what might be happening and how to solve this apart from buying an sd card?
The bad warning "the directory is being downloaded into" has been fixed since the stable 2.1.1. And I think the issue with the SD card is also fixed (?).

As far as I can tell, you should not have to actually have an SD card on your device!

The "Cannot find an SD card warning" is usually due to the app not having permissions to read the external storage (this storage is not necessarily on an actual SD card; Android defines "external" loosely). The app should ask about this permission when first launching and you need to grant it, or alternatively go through your device's settings and allow this permission explicitly for the ScummVM app at a later time.

The empty path in the "Add Game" dialogue has been fixed since 2.1.1. The workaround for this in the 2.1.1 version was to enter a "/" in the path as mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15052

I'd recommend downloading a daily development build (keep in mind that as of late we did some radical changes to the development version, so Blade Runner will be supported but a few other games might not; they will be eventually of course, this is a temporary thing).

Sorry for the confusion. We don't have a dedicated Android porter and the development of the Android port is moving slowly (but steadily!).
digitall wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:55 am Maybe the same issue? viewtopic.php?p=88006#p88006

"When launching ScummVM you will see for a short time (only few seconds) a bar on top of the screen which will say "CHANGE DEVICE CONFIGURATION". This happens only in this version of Android (2.0, AndroidSDL port).
Indeed, this is only for the SDL port (which, at least the Play Store version, won't support Blade Runner, since it requires ScummVM 2.1 or greater).

It won't work for the Android 2.1 which is not build with SDL any more.
ventrolloquist

Post by ventrolloquist »

Thanks guys. The "/" trick works but the only folder I can see is Scummvm data directory and SD card (and I dont even have an SD card). I cannot find this directory anywhere on my phone via search, where do I look? Do I drop blade runner in this scummvm data directory? Thanks :)
ventrolloquist

Post by ventrolloquist »

To add to the above I also don't have the "change configuration" button at startup, it goes straight to the (empty) game list. So I can't even follow the instructions in the thread you linked to because step 1 is to click that button at startup :(

Edit: tried looking for the daily development build and can't find it on the DL page? All I see is the one for windows? Is it in the forum here somewhere?

Edit2: I found the build but I'm having the same directory issue... It seems it shows only the data directory and the sdcard directory neither of which I can find using my phones file browser :(

I just want to browse my phone file directories but it seems it can't read it. Or at least I want to figure out the path for the data directory it's refering to because it's definitely not in the scum folder I found.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

ventrolloquist wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:57 pm To add to the above I also don't have the "change configuration" button at startup, it goes straight to the (empty) game list. So I can't even follow the instructions in the thread you linked to because step 1 is to click that button at startup :(
As I said, this option is only on 2.0 which is the Android SDL port, and exists on the Play Store. That version does not support Blade Runner and we don't provide daily builds (or support) for the SDL port any more.
Edit: tried looking for the daily development build and can't find it on the DL page? All I see is the one for windows? Is it in the forum here somewhere?
The page for the daily builds is here. You will need one of the latest development builds -- most likely ARM64 build would be fine.
https://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

Could you let us know of your device model and Android OS version?
And in the "SD Card" option, do you not see any folders?
For example the "SD Card" option on my phone (Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, Android 7.1.1) corresponds to the phone's "external memory" (and there's a separate folder altogether for my SD card when I have one inserted). In the "SD Card" option I can see the "Download" folder where I can download stuff via the browser, so that would be a good place to put the Blade Runner data game folder.
ventrolloquist

Post by ventrolloquist »

Hi. So turns out I was doing it all wrong. I was trying to drop Blade Runner in the ScummVM data directory which the build was telling me coukd not be accessed.

I totally didnt realize the directory labelled SD card was not an SD card dir, but my main phone directory.

If it still matters I have an LG G6.

Thank you so much for explaining how to do this. I successfully got Blade Runner started 😊. I really really appreciate your help and the fact you've made software like this available for Android 😍.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

ventrolloquist wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:48 pm Hi. So turns out I was doing it all wrong. I was trying to drop Blade Runner in the ScummVM data directory which the build was telling me coukd not be accessed.

I totally didnt realize the directory labelled SD card was not an SD card dir, but my main phone directory.

If it still matters I have an LG G6.

Thank you so much for explaining how to do this. I successfully got Blade Runner started 😊. I really really appreciate your help and the fact you've made software like this available for Android 😍.
I'm happy you got it working! :)

And it does matter to know which devices the Android Port works ok (or if it doesn't, how we can make it work on them), as the Android OS has undergone some drastic changes (and still does with every iteration), especially with regard to storage access and persistence. And also some vendors do their own thing with storage structure on their devices.

We do want to get the port back on track leading to a release on the Store, but this proves to be really hard without a dedicated Android Port developer.
pcgamenerd

Post by pcgamenerd »

I Also Have Problems With Version 2.1.1 Build For Android, It Will Ask For An SD Card & Not For Look For Game Data On The Internal Storage But Only Access The Game Data With An Micro SD In The Android Phone/Tablet. I Tried To Download The Daily Build Of ScummVM For Android (Android ARM). But The Link Is Broken, I Waiting For The ScummVM Team To Fix The Daily Build Of Android ARM & Maybe Fix The Version 2.1.1 Build Of Android To Removed The Requirements Of An Micro SD Card Before We Get An Android-SDL Version Of Version 2.1.1 Of ScummVM... But We Might An Little Longer For An Version 2.1.1 Build Of Android-SDL For ScummVM.

I Hope This Problems Will Be Fix Soon.

UPDATE #1: The Daily Build Of Android ARM Has Just Been Updated Just After I Posted This. I Recommend Downloading The Daily Build Of ScummVM For Android For Now, Until We Will Get An Updated Version Of Android-SDL For ScummVM, Very Soon. Support The ScummVM Team & Please Wait For Now Until Good News Comes! Enjoy The Daily Build! :)

UPDATE #2: The Daily Build Have Problems Playing All CD Audio Games. I Recommend Wait Until The ScummVM Team Fix This Problem In The Build, But All Other Games That Does Not Use Audio Redbook Files For Sound Works Great. (Example: I Tried The Neverhood & It Works Fine.) :x