ScummVM for nVidia Shield; which build do I need?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Banjo

ScummVM for nVidia Shield; which build do I need?

Post by Banjo »

I've used ScummVM for years on my PC but now I want to try it on my nVidia Shield (2017). Since the older build 2.0 is not available for the Shield via the Play Store, I assume I need to sideload this?

No problem... but which build do I download for the Shield? Is it the ARM64? And do I need the "development" build apk or will the "latest stable" work okay?

Also, is it possible to map certain keyboard keys to my Shield controller? For example, mapping the arrow/direction keys to the controller's d-pad? Or map the mouse to the right analogue stick?

Thanks!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM for nVidia Shield; which build do I need?

Post by Praetorian »

Banjo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:17 pm I've used ScummVM for years on my PC but now I want to try it on my nVidia Shield (2017). Since the older build 2.0 is not available for the Shield via the Play Store, I assume I need to sideload this?

No problem... but which build do I download for the Shield? Is it the ARM64? And do I need the "development" build apk or will the "latest stable" work okay?

Also, is it possible to map certain keyboard keys to my Shield controller? For example, mapping the arrow/direction keys to the controller's d-pad? Or map the mouse to the right analogue stick?

Thanks!
Arm64 should be fine. According to the following links, Shield 2017 uses Tegra X1 and that is ARM64 :
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/n ... iew,4.html
https://www.nvidia.ca/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

Currently the stable build may support more games and have prettier fonts, etc. because it has third party libraries built in.

The development builds now use a newer SDK and NDK and they include any bug fixes since the last stable so in general I would prefer those -- but keep in mind that you'll probably a) not have support for a few of the games that ScummVM supports and b) you'll need to keep in mind and update manually to a better development build that will at least include the third party libraries (this should be soon-ish).

About your other question, I think you could try experimenting with the key-mapper feature, which is new in the latest ScummVM versions. I don't own a Shield to test, but please provide any feedback of any issues or if you got it working.