Skipping Dialogue (.)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Larrynho

Skipping Dialogue (.)

Post by Larrynho »

Is this function implemented in some way in the Android port? Im using the play store version since the last nightly build (2.2.0git) crashes on startup. Im starting with The Dig and I cant skip dialogues without raising up the keyboard and obscuring quite a bit of the screen, more often than not, the dialogues.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Skipping Dialogue (.)

Post by Praetorian »

Larrynho wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:38 pm Is this function implemented in some way in the Android port? Im using the play store version since the last nightly build (2.2.0git) crashes on startup. Im starting with The Dig and I cant skip dialogues without raising up the keyboard and obscuring quite a bit of the screen, more often than not, the dialogues.
No, as far as I know there's no shortcut for '.' which skips lines of dialogue in Scumm games (probably a few other engines too).

The 2.2.x versions have the short press of the back button as "Esc" and the long press as "ScummVM menu". I can't think of how or where the '.' would fit.

(I do know about the crash, but haven't got around to completing the fix for it yet)
goetz

Post by goetz »

In the play store version (still the SDL version) you can create yourself some on-screen buttons, and one of them the "." key for skipping dialog lines.

To do so: start this extra configuration menu with the "Change Device Configuration" button at ScummVM start up just before the ScummVM launcher appears.

Then choose "On Screen keyboard" -> "Remap On-Screen Controls". Then tick "Button 1 - MOUSE RIGHT". And confirm with OK. Now a select list appears for which key you would like to assign to "Button 1", choode "PERIOD".

This will create a button "1" somewhere on the screen acting as a "." key without having to activate the keyboard. Now you only need to customize the position where you would like to have that one. On the "On-Screen keyboard" menu, select ""Customize on-screen keyboard layout". Now you can drag & drop the "1" button to where you would like it (e.g. top right of the screen). When done, hit your device's back button and confirm all the dialogs with "OK", so that then the ScummVM Launcher starts up, with the additional "1" button.

Same procedure goes for setting up an "ESCAPE" button for skipping cut scenes, or the "KP0" for the sucker punch in Atlantis ;) , by just ticking more buttons 2, 3, ... in the "Remap On-Screen Controls" menu above.

This is also one main reason I like the SDL version for playing these games. :)
Larrynho

Post by Larrynho »

That was a very nice tip about onscreen controls, tbh I had not fiddled much with it :)

I guess Ill have to keep someway 1.9 and 2.2.x (when released) on my device, being able to skip dialogues is a must for me, since I read quite fast and get bored waiting for the dialogue to advance also very fast :p
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

As soon as the important (show stopping) bugs in the Andoird port are fixed, I will look into this feature request -- or maybe someone else will beat me to it :)

I definitely see the point to it, even though I am not a fan of how the SDL port managed it.
Larrynho

Post by Larrynho »

That will be amazing :)

Maybe 1 hit on back button for ".", 2 for esc, 1 long press for other function? Im gonna think a bit on it but I think it will be a wonderful feature :)
fibrizo.raziel

Post by fibrizo.raziel »

I totally agree with Larrynho and I vote for his proposal.
Since I am perpetually learning English, I always turn the subtitles speed down to the slowest and then I use '.' when I have had enough time to understand the sentence and looked up some words in the dictionary when needed.
So please, let me know if this is implemented in the future :)