ScummVM 2.1.0 unavailable on Google Play Store

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

drignor

Re: ScummVM 2.1.0 unavailable on Google Play Store

Post by drignor »

Praetorian wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:16 pm
drignor wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:00 pm Just out of curiosity, are there plans to bring back the functionality for the button on the stylus to work as a right click? I have a Galaxy Tab S4, and with the previous version, I was able to use the button on the stylus as a right click. I just installed 2.1.0 the other night from the downloads page, and noticed that I no longer have that functionality. Debating on whether or not to uninstall the new version and go back to the previous because if I can't get the stylus button to work, it's a major dealbreaker in 2.1.0.
Hello!

Please use the bug tracker to report such issues, especially when they are regressions from previous behavior.

I wasn't even aware that there were problems with using a stylus with the new Android app (and personally I don't have a stylus to test this).

By reporting this on the tracker, it's far more likely that some developer will notice it and try to fix it.
Cool, thanks Praetorian. I just submitted a ticket.
Günni

Post by Günni »

Hello,

I just registered to this forum to play Blade Runner, one of my beloved games in the 90ies on my tablet. So I'm waiting for version 2.1 too. Overinstalling the new .apk files from your buildbot server denies my Android...
Is it possible to upload your 2.1 version as a beta version at google play store? I signed there as a beta user... So overinstalling should work...?

Greetings

Günni
Toothrot88

Post by Toothrot88 »

Hi,

I also signed up here because I'm trying to play Blade Runner on ScummVM Android (but I already used it for several other games for years).

I tried to install one of the latest builds on my Huawei Mate 10 Pro but to no avail. I did allow apps from third parties but it just ended with "app not installed" with every single build for android, stable or development.

Did anyone have the same problem? Thanks
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Toothrot88 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:55 am Hi,

I also signed up here because I'm trying to play Blade Runner on ScummVM Android (but I already used it for several other games for years).

I tried to install one of the latest builds on my Huawei Mate 10 Pro but to no avail. I did allow apps from third parties but it just ended with "app not installed" with every single build for android, stable or development.

On a Huawei M5 (Android 9) I have to allow Chrome, which is the browser that I use to download the app apk from the ScummVM site, to install apps from unknown sources (if only to allow ScummVM to install and then disable it again).
The Huawei software should take you to the particular setting, but if not, on my device the setting is under: Settings -> Security & Privacy -> More Settings... -> Install apps from external sources -> (Choose Chrome from the list) -> (Allow app installs)
Toothrot88

Post by Toothrot88 »

Praetorian wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:05 pm
Toothrot88 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:55 am Hi,

On a Huawei M5 (Android 9) I have to allow Chrome, which is the browser that I use to download the app apk from the ScummVM site, to install apps from unknown sources (if only to allow ScummVM to install and then disable it again).
The Huawei software should take you to the particular setting, but if not, on my device the setting is under: Settings -> Security & Privacy -> More Settings... -> Install apps from external sources -> (Choose Chrome from the list) -> (Allow app installs)
Thanks, that was it! It worked when I allowed both Chrome and Files. I had previously only allowed Files.

However, now when on the app I go to Add Game... -> Choose I get the message as in the attached screenshot. Is it the case that I just need to wait for a few hours/days or this shouldn't happen at all?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200420_233014.jpg
Screenshot_20200420_233014.jpg (45.84 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Toothrot88 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 pm Thanks, that was it! It worked when I allowed both Chrome and Files. I had previously only allowed Files.

However, now when on the app I go to Add Game... -> Choose I get the message as in the attached screenshot. Is it the case that I just need to wait for a few hours/days or this shouldn't happen at all?
This is something that got fixed after the 2.1.0 version.
You could try installing a development build from here:
https://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

It is a bug, the message is wrong/ should not be displayed, and you should be seeing some folders (basically shortcuts) the first time you open the Add Game screen.

If you see nothing then the workaround was to write "/" on the path textbox and press Choose. Again, this should already be fixed in a development build after 2.1.0.
Cricri

Post by Cricri »

I tried the "latest development build" dated 27/03/2020, and I still have the issue with the UI having very small text/buttons.
So back to 2.0.0 for me!

*EDIT* so the above was with the ARM32 package on my Minix box connected to a TV. I installed the ARM64 package on my phone, and the GUI is ok there!
pcgamenerd

Post by pcgamenerd »

Hi, Is There Any New Development Information Yet On ScummVM 2.1.1 For Google Play Store (Android-SDL) Because I Am Not An Big Fan Of The Of The Daily Build For Android & I Rather Use ScummVM For Windows Or Mac (For The Time Being.) I Hope We Get News Soon.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

pcgamenerd wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:16 pm Hi, Is There Any New Development Information Yet On ScummVM 2.1.1 For Google Play Store (Android-SDL) Because I Am Not An Big Fan Of The Of The Daily Build For Android & I Rather Use ScummVM For Windows Or Mac (For The Time Being.) I Hope We Get News Soon.
If things go ok / better than the last months, I and probably the other developers intend to put some time on the Android port. But without a dedicated developer for this port, things are going to be moving slow.

Personally I've been swamped by work, job searching and other personal stuff for quite a while now, so it's been really hard to find the free time (and be at my home PC) to work on this.

From a technical point the outstanding main tasks that remain are:
  • Add some code to handle the upgrade from stable 2.0 (and earlier?) to the new version(s). This is basically some checks for locating and moving ScummVM's old configuration to the new locations, respecting the new security policies of the recent Android OS versions. Similar should be done for the save files.
  • Do *a lot of testing* of the above for various cases of upgrading ScummVM Android on modern as well as old Android OS.
  • Cross-compile a few third party libraries with the new NDK that we have now switched to.
  • Probably introduce the new version as beta on the Store, to get early feedback and catch bugs before it gets a stable release.
As far as I know, the rest of the show stopping bugs have been fixed (the further optimization of the ScummVM UI is a TODO task, but I wouldn't consider it a show-stopper).

We have a bigger list of things to fix or plan for next releases, but the above should be the minimal TODO in order to unblock the path to a release. This is my personal estimation.