Tool tip messages issue

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nozomi

Tool tip messages issue

Post by nozomi »

Not sure I'm using the right terminology here, but when the cursor is over any part of the interface, a pop-up message appears telling you what that field or button does. With the Android port these message cause severe slowdown and delays. For example...If I add a game, then choose to change the game name, the cursor is hovering over the text entry box. But every letter I change or add causes the tool tip to re-pop up and makes text entry very slow. Once editing text, if I move the cursor to a blank portions of the ScummVM menu I can modify text much faster.

Would it be possible to add an option to disable these tool tips?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Tool tip messages issue

Post by Praetorian »

nozomi wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:36 am Not sure I'm using the right terminology here, but when the cursor is over any part of the interface, a pop-up message appears telling you what that field or button does. With the Android port these message cause severe slowdown and delays. For example...If I add a game, then choose to change the game name, the cursor is hovering over the text entry box. But every letter I change or add causes the tool tip to re-pop up and makes text entry very slow. Once editing text, if I move the cursor to a blank portions of the ScummVM menu I can modify text much faster.

Would it be possible to add an option to disable these tool tips?
I can reproduce the issue. This is not specific to the Android port, although the slowdown is quite more noticeable in Android.
I'd say this is a bug that should be fixed, rather than having an option to disable the tool tips.
We could *also* implement and add the option for that, but for me the priority would be to fix the tooltip that keeps popping up, since this is not proper tooltip behavior.

Edit: I have issued a potential fix for the awry tooltip behavior on editable text fields here:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/3055 (now superseded by the next proposed fix)
Edit 2: Probably a better fix for preventing tooltips popping up while the user is typing in an editable text field here: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/3057