ScummVM Channel FINAL - IOS58 Support / SVN / Download Now!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Just a general heads-up as I was pulled on this recently (which is why I removed some of my posts).
The forum rule 3b was, I believe, added fairly recently and some of the older members might not be aware of it.

3b) No discussions of softmods, hardmods or jailbreaks. It is assumed that you know how to run homebrew software on some consoles. Discussions on how to break the protection are not tolerated.

I'm not saying the rule has been broken (although maybe the team might - I don't know). But just bear it in mind.
Happy New Year Wii Scummers.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Nobody actually discussed how to softmod (ie- break protection of) the Wii, just what to do after that point. Doesn't matter really. I couldn't get it to work anyway. The Wiimote keeps losing sync with the Wii upon use of any of these programs on the Wii via homebrew. I remember that was my main problem way back which is why I stopped attempting it. It just kept infuriating me.

EDIT: Oh wait, it did work. I was using IOS249 instead of IOS236 which was the whole point. Nice. I have a new working ScummVM channel now! Nice work, Mr_Nick666!
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

MusicallyInspired wrote: EDIT: Oh wait, it did work. I was using IOS249 instead of IOS236 which was the whole point. Nice. I have a new working ScummVM channel now! Nice work, Mr_Nick666!
Did not work for me :(
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Did you run that IOS236 installer first that was mentioned earlier up?
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

If you're on 4.3 you will already have IOS58 installed. If you don't, and you just want the option of IOS58, then use Tantric's installer (see Wiibrew or WiiMC).

For those having problems with installing WADs on 4.3 run the latest version of PimpMyWii, which will re-instate Trucha, and you should be fine to install this and other Channels. I'd recommend not trying it without a NAND backup but, saying that, I've used it on four 4.3 Wiis with no problems whatsoever.
raschi

Post by raschi »

Mr_Nick666 wrote:If you're on 4.3 you will already have IOS58 installed. If you don't, and you just want the option of IOS58, then use Tantric's installer (see Wiibrew or WiiMC).

For those having problems with installing WADs on 4.3 run the latest version of PimpMyWii, which will re-instate Trucha, and you should be fine to install this and other Channels. I'd recommend not trying it without a NAND backup but, saying that, I've used it on four 4.3 Wiis with no problems whatsoever.
I think it's safer to use IOS 236 installer, since it uses IOS 36 as a base to install itself trucha enabled to IOS 236. It doesn't mess with official IOS slots.

I also had to uninstall the old ScummVM Channel before installing the new one.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

raschi wrote:I also had to uninstall the old ScummVM Channel before installing the new one.
Gah! I completely forgot to tell people to do this. As it has the same ID, but uses a different IOS, if you try and just over install it it will stop and give you an error. :shock: Thanks for bringing it up. :wink: I'll add that into the first post.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Did you run that IOS236 installer first that was mentioned earlier up?
Yep.
PS - i have 4.3 firmware and already run PimpMyWii
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

I've done some research and it seems that people having trouble installing on 4.3 Wiis should use Multi Mod Manager and all will be well. :D
Juhani

Post by Juhani »

For some reason the forwarder seems to have a problem with loading games from USB.

My setup:
Forwarder: The final with big S
System menu: 4.2
HBC: 1.0.8 with IOS 58 installed
ScummVM 1.2.0 on SD, games on USB HDD

I'm using The Dig for testing.

When I launch ScummVM from HBC the loading times are fast and the FMVs play almost perfectly. If I launch ScummVM via the forwarder the loading times will be longer and the FMVs won't play smoothly, this is just like the USB 1.1 loading before I installed IOS 58.

I guess that the forwarder does not really launch ScummVM with IOS 58, so USB 2.0 is not used. Is there any way to check which IOS is being used? Hopefully this gets fixed as I would like to use the launcher, I really appreciate the work Nick has done.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

If you're on 4.2 you won't have IOS58 and USB 2.0 will you?
A typo maybe?
If it's a typo and you have 4.3 then I'll add I seem to recall that some USB HDDs wouldn't work. I don't know the situation these days and my Verbatim USB 2.0 250GB HDD has always worked ever since USB 1.1 was added to ScummVM for Wii.
The post I read this in might even be in this forum. I think it had something to do with spin-up times of the HDDs and I asked the poster to try a USB flash drive and that did work.
Juhani

Post by Juhani »

Red_Breast wrote:If you're on 4.2 you won't have IOS58 and USB 2.0 will you?
A typo maybe?
If it's a typo and you have 4.3 then I'll add I seem to recall that some USB HDDs wouldn't work. I don't know the situation these days and my Verbatim USB 2.0 250GB HDD has always worked ever since USB 1.1 was added to ScummVM for Wii.
The post I read this in might even be in this forum. I think it had something to do with spin-up times of the HDDs and I asked the poster to try a USB flash drive and that did work.
No, not a typo. IOS58 indeed comes with system menu 4.3, but you can manually install it to any system menu version. Before system menu 4.3 you could have USB 2.0 with a proper cIOS, but it seems to be that ScummVM only supports IOS58 for USB 2.0. I believe that we shouldn't discuss this matter further on this forum, but Google is your friend or feel free to send me a PM.

There shouldn't be any issues with the HDD I use at the moment, it works just perfectly otherwise. The problems arise only when I launch ScummVM with the forwarder, it's like going back to USB 1.1.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Well I don't really want to discuss it. Except to say dhewg (ScummVM for Wii porter and Team Twiizers) wouldn't code a version that required a custom IOS as he refuses to use them (ugly code) - if he did use them the ScummVM team (sev, fingolfin) I'm sure wouldn't allow it and I know I wouldn't use them either.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

No custom IOS is required. If you are on a lower firmware you can use Tantric's IOS58 installer, which is on Wiibrew, to get official IOS58 functionality. :)
kintera

Forwarder

Post by kintera »

This seem to be broken as long as I a have an sd card in.

I'm running wii 4.1(with ios58) scumm located on my USB 2.0 external with dual partition fat32/wbfs partitions. ScummVM works fine through if i eject the SD card then the forwarder will work. Though if any SD card is in which none have scumm at all it will start the un-themed(black and green) interface and no settings of my games load. now this can be fixed by moving scumm to the SD card but then all the locations are broken for the games. there seems to be a bug with this and having an SD card in while starting. and yes i have checked all my ios's. Any ideas or is it just broken?