Gamecube progress but resetting to SDLoad menu

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jimbob

Gamecube progress but resetting to SDLoad menu

Post by Jimbob »

OK, I'm now able to compile my own DOL files for scummVM for the Gamecube and I've started investigating DOL files with specific engines. My first effort contained both the SCUMM, sword1 and sword2 engines (I specifically wanted to test COMI and BS2).

The good news is the DOL file is just over 2MB, therefore saving ~5MB of memory and BS2 seems to work much much better BUT I have encountered an issue at the docks in Marseille. I've solved the puzzles around the security hut but when climbing over the fence I'm taken back to the SDLoad menu. So, I went back and redid the security hut puzzles but saved it before climbing over the fence. Again, I was taken back to the SDLoad menu. So, third time lucky, I loaded scummVM again and loaded the save and then climbed over the fence, this time it didn't reset back to the SDLoad menu. Any ideas what may be causing this??

I'm now thinking of saving every time I move from one puzzle area to the next, as a precaution but I'd like to see it I get booted back to the SDLoad menu again. I haven't encountered any Exception DSI crashes in BS2 like before.

I'm now compiling 4 separate DOL's ... one containing SCUMM and SCUMM 7+8, one containing Lure, Sky, Sword1 and Sword2 (i.e. Revolution games). The other 2 will each contain half of the other engines. I've hit a bit of a problem with the last DOL file, I've hit the problem with tracker issue 2144834. This is trying to compile the following engines M4, MADE, PARRALLACTION, QUEEN, SAGA, IHNM, SAGA2, TINSEL, TOUCHE and TUCKER.

I'm planning to test COMI later today / tonight to see if the smaller DOL helps with the memory problems.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

No idea why that happens with BS2. Have you checked other versions or the bug tracker to see if it's more wide spread?
I've got to say I feel for you. Hope that doesn't sound patronising. But finding Gamecube specific help must be hard now that everything is Wii.
Good luck. Looks like you're on the right track with separate .dols for each engine. I use a Nintendo DS sometimes, if I'm travelling, which uses a similar system and apart from Scumm engines being the 'A' build I always forget which build to use for which game.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yeah, I think I'll just have to put up with it. It doesn't seem to help much producing separate builds for the various engines. COMI still crashes during the intro, if you skip the intro then it virtually crashes as soon as you start doing things in the first room. There's no benefit to doing a separate dol for BS2 either, it still crashes in the same place. I've played it on my iMac using the same SVN version and it seems to be fine. I'm guessing it must be linked to running out of memory, this is using MP3 compressed music / speech files.

The only thing left to try is uncompressed music / speech files but I need a larger SD card for that ....

A Wii isn't on the "shopping list", I don't particularly want a faster Gamecube ;-)
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Dhewg fixed a newlib bug in devkitPPC a few weeks ago that fixed crashes (COMI intro hang etc).

I can build a gamecube DOL for you to try (compiled with a fixed ddPPC) and you can try if that does not crash.
I'll get back to you later today.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Bossk wrote:Dhewg fixed a newlib bug in devkitPPC a few weeks ago that fixed crashes (COMI intro hang etc).

I can build a gamecube DOL for you to try (compiled with a fixed ddPPC) and you can try if that does not crash.
I'll get back to you later today.
I think I'll probably have that fix already, I'll check my git status later to see if there are any updates.

There's no need to build a DOL, I have devkitPro installed on both of my Macs for building various DOL's.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

I know you have dkPPC set up.
However, I don't know if dhewg spread his newlib patch, and there hasn't been a major release of dkPPC in the meantime.
The patch is not part of libogc/libfat.

So, if you want to try a GC dol with only the scumm engines in it, here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xymjnum3ttn
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I've downloaded your build and I've been testing it with COMI. The crashing seems to have disappeared BUT I think this may be because I disabled the Music driver output in the Options after seeing a post in the PPC forum about COMI eating memory at startup. I'll test this theory later with one of my builds.

So far, I've been able to play the introduction, part 1 and I've started part 2. Before disabling the Music driver I was unable to even finish viewing the introduction without crashing. The audio still seems to stutter a bit but it's understandable and playable.

I'll try BS2 with the Music driver disabled to see if it helps with the crashing.