ScummVM/Wii SVN builds

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've just tried the game on WinXP. No problems.
Would make me think it's Wii specific if it wasn't for the fact that it works OK with the last stable build for Wii.
I don't know what more I can try. I assume Bossk is using his builds. All I can think of trying is a new build with my old SD card instead of the SDHC card I started to use when support was added.

I tried looking out of the window after picking up the gun and Gorrister looks at one of the engines. However when I have the problem as soon as I select 'use door' or 'walk to door' he walks in and goes straight to the window. The screen changes to a view of an airship outside. Then I'm transported back with the other 4.

I came across another problem when I was playing on the Wii. I couldn't get to Gorrister's heart no matter what I tried. However I kept thinking it must be something I'm not trying.
As I'm in front of the WinXP PC now I've just tried to get the heart. With the 2 sheets tied to the ring I just 'used heart'. It worked. Now I tried this loads of times on the Wii and it didn't work for me.
So I'm thinking something to do with the Wiimote buttons maybe? Could the 2 problems be related as well?

My Wii is at the other end of the house in the main room with the TV and my sister and a couple of friends are in there at the moment. My sister asked me where my 2nd Wiimote was about an hour ago so I don't want to disturb them as I think they might be using it.
I should have time tomorrow to have a look at all this. I'll try with both Wiimotes as well.

Edit
Thinking about the Wiimote I've just had a look at the manual. As well as verb hotkeys you can use Enter for left-click and space for right-click. This should help.
There's quite a bit in the manual. One of the reasons I loved games back then was the size of the manuals.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

OK with the most recent build (Bossk) the game works fine.
With slightly older builds (Briijohn, Dhewg) the problem is there.
Weird thing is I was sure I was getting the problem with Bossk's build as well. If I was I'm not now.
Without looking at the bug tracker maybe something was changed/fixed recently? Whatever the problem was I don't think it's related to the heart problem I had either. With one of the problem builds I carried on anyway and after trying a few times I got it ('use heart') right. It was easier with a Wavebird.
I can understand why people have said mouse control would be nice for the Wii version. Just for the really small items. It tends to take away the novelty factor of the Wiimote control though.
Sorry to waste your time looking at this md5.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Just been playing with the 0.13 stable.
The problem I had with a couple of svn builds with the gun doesn't exist so that's good.
One thing I thought I'd mention Bossk is with reference to another thread about quitting.
So I'm playing IHNM&IMS.
With the new stable 0.13 if I quit from the main ScummVM menu (not the in-game GMM - not tried that) I go back to the Homebrew Channel (my boot method). If I pull up the game's menu with the floppy icon and select quit game I also go back to HBC.
With your last build if I try to quit the screen hangs for the same 2 menus. I can get it back to HBC if I select the Escape key on the USB keyboard.
I thought I'd mention this although I don't know if it helps you fix it as I seem to recall you don't get this problem.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r39095.7z
- SCI engine included

Note about the SCI engine: This engine has just been merged and still under heavy (really heavy) development.
Both with merging it into the scummvm framework AND the fact that most (if not all) games are at most partly supported.

But still, plenty to test and fool around with! Have fun.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

New build:

scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r39329.7z
- SCI progress
- Personal Nightmare support
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

Excellent! 8)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Does this come with the USB and virtual keyboard support? I'm just trying to make sure they aren't separate variations.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Yes, USB + virtual keyboard is in it, I like feature-complete builds ;)
And will be in 0.14 too.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I tried KQ1SCI, KQ4SCI, and an SCI fangame and none of them would work. It just freezes on a black screen and I have to turn off the Wii.

Also what game files are required for SCI games anyway? I thought it might be just the resource.* files (besides resource.cfg) and any resource files (*.v56, *.p56, *.scr, *.fon, *.cur, view.*, picture.*, cursor.*, script.*, font.*, etc) in the directory. But it wouldn't detect any games with just those files so I copied over all the files and it worked. Is the VERSION file also required or something? I can't see how any of the *.drv files are needed or any of the DOS executable files.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Have you tried running those games in a Win32 or Linux build Musically?
I haven't tried running any SCI stuff. After the engine was merged I read it would take a while before games would be playable.

Quick edit I just noticed Bossk said SCI progress. Doh.
But it still might be that I was on the right track, if you know what I mean.
chrisino

Post by chrisino »

Hi,

I used to have a copy of Scummvm running on my Wii quite a while back. It ran most games really well.

I formatted my SD card in error and lost that version.

Every new version I have tried for the Wii resets the Homebrew channel and doesn't even load the menu of Scummvm.

I have unzipped the apps folder to my sd card but no luck so far.

Every homebrew app such as SNESGX, and even SDL Mame run without any problems.

Has anyone else had the problem of constant resetting?

I wish I could go back and use the working version I had!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

Hi Bossk

Thought I'd help you out in trunk builds (also so I can test current builds here at home ;))...

I will be doing a weekly snapshot on a saturday going forward of the current trunk for win32, linux and wii...

Untested beyond 'does it compile' so no promises of things working... try an older version or check dev mailing lists for regression checks I guess...

They will be on my webspace in my sig going forwards - all engines enabled with ogg, flac, fluidsynth (on *nix), zlib, and mp3 support...

Hope it's of help to someone :)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks Jimbob. The more the better.
Just thought I'd mention for anybody wanting to use it with certain games it doesn't include any of the extra files like
drascula/kyra/lure/m4.dat
queen/igor.tbl
sky.cpt
Can't remember if there's anymore.

Also Jimbob is there any virtual/physical keyboard support?
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

Didn't have time to test the build yet this weekend... been very busy.

Followed the instructions on the wiki... so if that's enough then yes (has current libogc and the patched libfat etc mentioned on the wiki)....

If more is needed for them then I'll adjust my build environment accordingly this week for a weekly trunk build with it next week ;)

And yeah to keep space usage down I'm just putting new themes and the compiled executables up - the downloads from www.scumm.org/downloads.php are of course required.... can always install the current version there then copy my binary in place of the current ;)
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

New checkout + build:
scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r39753.7z

@jimbob0i0
The ScummVM buildbot will be supplying nightly builds soon.
Building yourself is a good practice ofcourse, but soon it won't be needed anymore.
Except for customizations ofcourse (I like mapping the buttons a bit different).