Screen Adjustment

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

zewb

Screen Adjustment

Post by zewb »

Is there any way to adjust ScummVM to fit the screen? And if not, are there plans to add that feature?
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

hi,

i just posted a fresh version which incorporates exactly that, check the sticky thread in this forum.

regards,
dhewg
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

It's possible to implement indipendent overscan for horizontal and vertical resolution? I try to explain
I have a 1080i LCD TV; those kind of panels have an exotic 1366x768 native resoution. The official Wii games and channels have no problem to fill the screen in 16/9, but ALL the homebrew seems to have some difficulty, showing two very slim black bars on left and rights borders.
In your all new build of ScummVM (great!great!great!) I've set no fullscreen (to get a 4/3 aspect ratio, like in original games) and overscan 5 to vertically fit the screen; but those black bar borders strech the picture in a sort of 3,8/3 aspect ratio.
Here some simulated screenshot to explain
Correct (what I sholud get)
16/9 (fullscreen on)
4/3 (fullscreen off)
Wrong (what I actually get)
16/9 (fullscreen on)
4/3 (fullscreen off)
As a ticky workaround, I can force the TV to 4/3 while the Wii is set to 16/9 and set the ScummVM fullscreen on, to get a 4/3 streched to 16/9 streched back to 4/3, but it's a little bit inelegant...
If I could set vertical overscan to 4 and horizontal overscan to 5 fullscreen off I could get a correct 4/3 picture without messing around with configurations. Genesis Plus has a similar option, you can arbitrary set the vertical and horizontal strech value.
Thank you anyway for your great work!!!
Last edited by aculotarpa on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

the feedback i got so far seems to be working on various setups. i'll have to dig further into that issue as it seems...

i'll report back when i find anything, but right now i got no clue why you still get black borders ;)
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

I'm shure it's not ScummVM related, since ALL homebrew act this way. The only HB in wich I have a correct aspect ratio are Quake (it lets me adjust the vertical overscan, so i have a little black border around all 4 sides, but AR it's ok) and Genesis Plus (as I said previously, it has indipendent X and Y stretch).

Some time ago I saw a post in OSXBmc (now Plex) about a common difficulty with various Mac trying to fill panels with a 1366x768 native resoution, because the most common resolution supported by the majority of computers and oses is 1360x768. Maybe devkitPro has same kind of problem.

The silly thing is all official Wii contents (Wii games, GC games, Channels, VC games) fill correctly the entiere screen..
aculotarpa

Solved!

Post by aculotarpa »

In stable 0.12 screen 16/9 + NO Fullscreen is perfectly 4:3!
16/9 fullscreen is always wrong, but does'nt matter, if I can correctly play Monkey Island on my TV!
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

actually, no video code has been changed between svn rev 33789 and 0.12.0. are you sure your setup is okay?
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

The most recent versions of Snes9x GX (007) and FCE Ultra GX (2) have an axolutly perfect aspect ratio correction for 16:9 screens out of the box, without messing with overscan and/or overcrop: no black border up and down and perfect 4/3 ratio.
Those are the first HB I see working this fine way out of the box.