Wii/GameCube port - News & Nightly snapshots

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

After some months of absence, here's finally an update:

For those interested in building the Gamecube/Wii port, i finally wrote down build instructions. Sorry for the massive delay!

A fresh build is available too: SVN revision 35709.

Some of these changes were already present on the builds provided by Bossk, thank you for giving the Wii users their daily fix! ;)

To avoid problems by these changes, please remove any old "scummvm.ini" files on your SD card ("/apps/scummvm/scummvm.ini" as well as "/scummvm.ini" [if present])

Enjoy,
dhewg

EDIT: Changelog and build moved to post #1
Last edited by dhewg on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Big thanks for this.
I hope I can run Bud Tucker with this.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

Fantastic!! Thanks for the New Year pressie! :wink:
RogerWilco

Post by RogerWilco »

Hey!

I've been a long-time fan of ScummVM and when I heard it was available for the Wii I had to try it immediately. I am having issues getting that newest build to work with comi. It will just hang after the initial "throw the dagger in the board" selection screen. I used one of Bossk's previous builds and that seems to work well (although non-sdhc cards seem to work better than sdhc cards for some reason). I noticed Bossk stated that the boot.dol file was too large when using comi, so he split it into 2 separate builds. Is this still an issue?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

SDHC and USB Storage support is WIN! Thank you!
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

RogerWilco wrote:Hey!

I've been a long-time fan of ScummVM and when I heard it was available for the Wii I had to try it immediately. I am having issues getting that newest build to work with comi. It will just hang after the initial "throw the dagger in the board" selection screen. I used one of Bossk's previous builds and that seems to work well (although non-sdhc cards seem to work better than sdhc cards for some reason). I noticed Bossk stated that the boot.dol file was too large when using comi, so he split it into 2 separate builds. Is this still an issue?
The file size is fine, i ran the COMI intro a few hundred times (seriously, heh) recently. Currently i'm hunting down a deadlock that seems to happen only on *.san sequences with compressed audio. Ogg seems more affected than mp3, but thats basically just a timing issue as it seems to me. Maybe this happens in your case too, dunno. Can you try another compression format, or even better: none at all?

I'm afraid i can't do much about the SDHC issue, some cards work while others don't. If you're interested in fixing support for yours, you can hop onto the blitzed or efnet irc network and ask svpe in #wiidev to fix it, but you'll have to help him debug this a bit.
RogerWilco

Post by RogerWilco »

Thanks dhewg!

I am actually running it uncompressed (files copied straight from the CDs). I noticed when I'm ran it with the classic theme it jumped into a debug mode and it said something to the effect of ran out of memory. I can test it a little bit more if you like later on today.

Let me know if I should be posting this in some other area.

Thanks!
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

That is weird indeed, and it doesn't happen on me, no matter what theme is active. Uncompressed should definitely work. But it sounds like the data couldn't be read correctly from SD card. Try recopying the files from CD to SD.
raschi

Post by raschi »

Thanks dhewg:)
I have tested the new 35709 build with comi, and although the intro video runs smooth now, I am experiencing a couple seconds long pause between each dialogue line, sometimes also mid-dialogue. This doesn't happen in the official 0.12.0 build.
I have tested on both SD and SDHC, mp3 compressed. Same result.
RogerWilco

Post by RogerWilco »

I think the pause can be fixed by increasing the subtitle speed to the max (yeah, I know you probably aren't using subtitles, but it seems to work, at least in previous builds).
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

raschi wrote:Thanks dhewg:)
I have tested the new 35709 build with comi, and although the intro video runs smooth now, I am experiencing a couple seconds long pause between each dialogue line, sometimes also mid-dialogue. This doesn't happen in the official 0.12.0 build.
I have tested on both SD and SDHC, mp3 compressed. Same result.
Thanks for the feedback. I used some patches for v0.12.0 to increase the SD performance, these are now sadly incompatible with the libraries of the new toolchain.
I'm looking into boosting the performance again, lets see how that works out ;)
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

thank you for this new (amazing) version.

no more lags in Monkey Island 3 videos, BTW subtitles speed must be set to 9 (or speech hangs for a few seconds between each sentence)

tried on Wii 3.2E (Fr), with an SDHC 8Go class6

ps : why does the subtitles speed is annoying us when it's set to "speech only"...shouldn't the subtitles speed parameter be ignored in "speech only" mode ?

oh, and something really strange happened with Monkey Island 3 (french, audio compressed to ogg):

first launch > wii connected in 480i (original cable) on my computer (with a TV card) > no options changed -> speech OK, no lag.

second launch > wii connected in 480p (componant cable) to my TV (HD) > changed to fullscreen mode + overscan 5 > lag in speech, subtitles speed set to 9 to "kill" this lag.

EDIT : I think I found a bug.

when you run a clean version of scummvm, subtitle speed is set to 60 (options in the main menu), and 8 when Monkey Island 3 is running (game options)

But if you touch any option in the main menu, like the fullscreen mode or overscan, then subtitle speed in Monkey Island 3 is automatically set to 2 in game (still 60 in the main menu)
raschi

Post by raschi »

Setting subtitles speed to 9 does help with the pause between dialogue lines, but it doesn't help with the pauses mid-sentence.
Changing subtitles to max speed shouldn't be necessary anyways, so it's a bug that has been introduced since 0.12.0, and I'm sure dhewg is working on it:)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

raschi wrote:Setting subtitles speed to 9 does help with the pause between dialogue lines, but it doesn't help with the pauses mid-sentence.
Changing subtitles to max speed shouldn't be necessary anyways, so it's a bug that has been introduced since 0.12.0, and I'm sure dhewg is working on it:)
It's not a bug, we've changed the meaning of subtitle speed to actually be subtitle speed, and not subtitle delay
raschi

Post by raschi »

Okay then. Didn't know that.