Wii/GameCube port - News & Nightly snapshots

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

oduverne

Post by oduverne »

I got the same error with Tucker, it works fine with the newer version of Lame.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

dhewg wrote:I moved all the Changelog entries as well as the links to post #1.

I also believe that i fixed the lockup that happened on various games, please test SVN rev 35811 i just added to the first post in this thread. This (hopefully) fixes:
* the Full Throttle intro
* the COMI intro
* The 7th guest (lockup only happened when CD audio tracks were ripped)
* Possibly more, please recheck if you had hangs/crashes before

If this indeed fixes these problems, i'll try to get my changes upstream, they have not yet been commited (the problem resides in newlib, the C library of devkitPPC)

And don't forget to provide feedback, thanks ;)

Oh, and IHNM and SAGA2 were enabled too, cheers md5
I've briefly tested the r35811 build out on my Gamecube and it seems to work fine. My COMI with OGG audio still crashes near the end of the intro but it's better than it was! I'm planning on testing over the weekend with uncompressed audio or MP3 audio .... we'll see what it's like then.

Should the Broken Sword games work on the Gamecube port?

Can I ask one favour though, related to the component output detection. I built an RGB cable using both the Analogue and Digital ports of my Gamecube (my TV won't display NTSC for my American 'Cube) and ScummVM automatically detects the digital cable and switches to that when I don't want it to. Would it be possible to have a setting in the ini file where the component detection can be disabled? To get around the component display problem I unplug the digital cable before starting ScummVM and then plug it back in after a couple of seconds.

Thanks for the port!

Jimbob

EDIT: Well, encoding the files with MP3 didn't really help. It did get further into the game but crashed when LeChuck starts talking in the intro. SO, I had a second go by skipping the intro and then in crashed when moving Guybrush around in the first room (with the cannon). I guess my Gamecube just doesn't like COMI! :-(
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

And another update, check the 1st post in this topic!

Red_Breast, oduverne: Please test Tucker with the new build

Jimbob: Yes, BS1 and BS2 should be playable with the Gamecube version.
About the 480p issue: If a component cable is detected, it uses 480p. Does than happen with 'official' RGB cables too? The build from today is still unchanged in this regard, you can't configure it atm. I'll think about a solution.
Last but not least: I'll try COMI with the Gamecube version, dunno yet what's happening there

To all: Hkz has found one reproducible problem with OGG audio files. If you encounter bugs or crashes, please try audio files in MP3 or FLAC format first before reporting it. ...working on it ;)

Oh, and as sev posted on the front page: The testing season just started for the upcoming 0.13.0 release! Play test your favorite games and post about your findings, every report is welcome! Please don't forget to mention the version, the language and the used compression method. Thanks!

enjoy,
dhewg

EDIT: We hit the memory limit on Gamecube with COMI :(
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

dhewg wrote:And another update, check the 1st post in this topic!

*Snipped*

Jimbob: Yes, BS1 and BS2 should be playable with the Gamecube version.
About the 480p issue: If a component cable is detected, it uses 480p. Does than happen with 'official' RGB cables too? The build from today is still unchanged in this regard, you can't configure it atm. I'll think about a solution.
Last but not least: I'll try COMI with the Gamecube version, dunno yet what's happening there

* Snipped once again *

enjoy,
dhewg
AFAIK, it doesn't happen with the Official Nintendo RGB cable because this cable only plugs into the Analogue port but the NTSC cube doesn't output an RGB signal ... the best it'll output is S-VHS which isn't found on many TV's in the UK, hence the reason I resorted to making an RGB cable using the output from the Digital port (oh, the quality is rather good as well!!).

I'll have another go with the Broken Sword games, the last time I tried to test BS1 it wasn't recognised by the game detector.
dhewg wrote:EDIT: We hit the memory limit on Gamecube with COMI :(
I guess it doesn't take much to fill the 24MB of RAM on the Cube, would it be feasible / possible to compile ScummVM with only the COMI engine? A bit like the various engine flavours for the Nintendo DS version? I thinking the reduction in the ScummVM dol in memory may help a tiny amount .......
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

Excellent :) For the record I play on a PAL 42" HD LCD TV using component cables and, using overscan 5, have the screen filled left and right with just some tiny borders at the top and bottom 8)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I think we may possibly have a memory issue on the Broken Sword games on the Gamecube as well. At the moment I've only tried BS2 but the audio starts crackling and breaking up
(like it does on COMI) and eventually crashes with a Exception DSI message (or something like that, from memory). I'll try BS1 tonight, hopefully.

Again, my audio is encoded as OGG and I'm using DXA files for the cutscenes.

Jim
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Multiple engine flavors are possible ofcourse. It wouldn't have to be so extreme as all the DS versions, but at least 2.

What would be better is some kind of basic dynamic module loading, but that is not easy at all.
noize

Post by noize »

I saw you contributed DVD support. Great work! Looking very forward for the next build.

While you are at it, may I ask of you to make the Home button bring up the GMM (like F6 on Windows) instead of functioning like F5?

Thanks.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Hrm, isn't the F5 key mapped to the GMM already in ScummVM?

I just checked with COMI and the GMM coming up with the home button is the same as the GMM in Windows (F6 key).
ratix

Post by ratix »

hey games like the dig, full throttle, and COMI work great when you compress with vorbis on the Wii. i just thought i'd point that out. also that LOOMCD on the psp lags like a mother with the audio track compressed to MP3 format, but not with OGG. all my games have compressed sound and they work flawlessly on both the PSP and the Wii.
i have noticed that there is slight sound stuttering in COMI on the Wii only in cut scenes though. just throwin out my 2 cents here...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

oduverne wrote:I got the same error with Tucker, it works fine with the newer version of Lame.
Some urgent business came up and I had to go away for a few days.
Are you saying Tucker works with the version of Lame you have? If so where did you get it?
Now I'm back I should be able to try the new build today or tomorrow.
Good to see 0.13 stable is close.

By the way in the readmes it says other MP3 encoders can be used. Which ones?

Edit

Well I just downloaded the new build and copied the flac version of Bud Tucker I had ready to my SD card. It started straight away. Great stuff.
It's one of those adventure games that feel 'right' on Wii with it's bright colours and big icons.
oduverne

Post by oduverne »

Red_Breast wrote:
oduverne wrote:I got the same error with Tucker, it works fine with the newer version of Lame.
Some urgent business came up and I had to go away for a few days.
Are you saying Tucker works with the version of Lame you have? If so where did you get it?
Now I'm back I should be able to try the new build today or tomorrow.
Good to see 0.13 stable is close.

By the way in the readmes it says other MP3 encoders can be used. Which ones?

Edit

Well I just downloaded the new build and copied the flac version of Bud Tucker I had ready to my SD card. It started straight away. Great stuff.
It's one of those adventure games that feel 'right' on Wii with it's bright colours and big icons.
With lame 3.98.1, I had no compression errors. I haven't tried Tucker yet on the Wii.
noize

Post by noize »

Bossk wrote:Hrm, isn't the F5 key mapped to the GMM already in ScummVM?

I just checked with COMI and the GMM coming up with the home button is the same as the GMM in Windows (F6 key).
Well I tried the latest build r35894, and for me it doesn't show GMM, it just shows the Scumm menu.

GMM is a bit similar in looks as the Scumm F5, the main difference is supporting Return to Launcher, and it shows up no matter what the state of the game is, and most important works in ALL game engines.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Jimbob wrote:I think we may possibly have a memory issue on the Broken Sword games on the Gamecube as well. At the moment I've only tried BS2 but the audio starts crackling and breaking up
(like it does on COMI) and eventually crashes with a Exception DSI message (or something like that, from memory). I'll try BS1 tonight, hopefully.

Again, my audio is encoded as OGG and I'm using DXA files for the cutscenes.

Jim
Well, BS1 seems to be OK ... so far! I haven't encountered any crashes on the Cube but I haven't made much progress within the game in the short testing sessions.

The only problem I have encountered is related to saving the game, I couldn't enter any letters into the save dialog ... therefore, no save. When running BS2 I could put an o (possibly, 0) and a y into the save dialog using the small dpad but this didn't work in BS1.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jimbob wrote: The only problem I have encountered is related to saving the game, I couldn't enter any letters into the save dialog ...
I only run ScummVM on my desktop so this may be completely unrelated, but I fixed a bug in the Broken Sword 1 save dialog recently. Sometimes you weren't able to enter any savegame name. In my case, it was because I pressed Shift to write an upper-case letter. This inserted character code 0 into the string, and that's the "end-of-string" marker. Anything written after that didn't show up on screen.