Keyboard support?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chrisis

Keyboard support?

Post by chrisis »

First, congratulations to the release to dhewg and the inclusion into official ScummVM source! I played through Fate of Atlantis a few days ago, without any major problems (I had the save-crash-bug once, but it was an older version - the one included in the apps-package of the homebrew channel). Wiimote control just feels so natural, and one has to wonder, why there are not more Point and Click Adventures on Wii from official developers.

Anyways, one thing I would really love to see is either USB-Keyboard and/or some sort of virtual keyboard. I wanted to play Gobliiins, and while it's working great, the problem is, that there is no way to input passwords at the moment. Also, once compiled in, AGI-games should work too.
So, are you already working (or is it planned at least) at some sort of keyboard input?

greets,
chrisis
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

http://wiibrew.org/w/index.php?title=Ta ... ps/ScummVM

"Is posible to add usb keyboard support? Some games need more keys & buttons (example: Indiana Jones and the last Crusade)."
"when libogc has keyboard support i'll add it"
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

thx chrisis ;)

the save issue should be fixed in rev 32565 i posted here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/ScummVM

as MajinChibi already pasted: i'll add usb keyboard support when libogc has support for it.
a wii port specific virtual keyboard doesn't make much sense imho. either libogc should have code for that (the ScummVM port isn't the only homebrew app having this problem), or a common implementation usable for all ports could be used. i'm not sure about this, but iirc a GSoC project for ScummVM already deals with the latter.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

I've noticed that Last Cruisade uses left and right for retreat and middle punch (and Fate of Atlantis seems to have the one-blow-KO cheat mapped to the down key, I think), so wouldn't it be possible to make the directional pad simulate the whole numerical pad, instead of only two of the numbers? That would also make the biplane section in LC playable.

I don't think the LucasArts games would need any more keyboard support than that.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

I created here a post asking if Bluetooth keyboard support will be going to be in the Wii port. I'm not sure if this is the correct post to ask for it of better keep it in the original thread, but clem said me to look here :)

I don't know about the BT implementation of Wii and how the IOS stuff works, so I ask here to the Wii devs :)
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

at the moment, there is NO keyboard included in the wii devkit. If the keyboard gets included , the interface would not be a problem i think.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

exactly, its out of scope of this wii port - its a matter of the foundation libraries.
i'm not sure anyone tried pairing another BT device on the wii other than the official controllers, so i cant really comment on if thats possible at all.

again: *if* libogc gets support i'll look into it :)
Nvaer

Post by Nvaer »

any news about this? What about the linux application? It supports keyboard doesn't it? Could you get some code referral with that?
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

nope, sorry - no news on keyboard support. i never attached a keyboard to my wii and nobody seems to be interested in integrating stable&working code into libogc for it ;)
Javi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Javi-Wan Kenobi »

Is it possible to add a virtual keyboard like the one in the DS port?

I see that the D-pad has mapped some letters and numbers. The 0 is helpful to write some numbers in the MI2 copy protection screen, and I suposse that the "y" and "n" are used for answering questions, "do you want to exit the game" etc, in english games like Simon 1 & 2.
But, since I use the spanish games, I need a "s" instead of a "y". Having no keyboard, the only way to exit is reseting the Wii.
It is possible to map some other letters like the "s" for spanish games, or the "j" for german games, or the "o" for french games, etc... in the 1 and 2 buttons of the wiimote (I see in the READMII file that there's nothing mapped to them...), or in the buttons C and Z and the pad of the nunchuck?

But certainly, I keep thinking that a virtual keyboard like the one on the DS would be a more elegant solution, because that way we can give real names to the saved games, instead of messy things like "0yny0ny0n"...
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I like the virtual keyboard idea.

Regarding the 1 and 2 buttons they are indeed mapped. 2 is ENTER which helps with ScummVM file hierarchy navigation (double clicking with the Wii remote is hard!). I don't remember what 1 is, though.
Javi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Javi-Wan Kenobi »

I've played Indy4, and I've skipped all the fights, going by the Sophia way. But definitely, I "need" some keyboard support or emulation. I want to play Indy3 and, even in the better of cases, when you skip all the fights, you need to punch at least once (the one with the drunk big guy), and as far as I know it's no possible in Wii now.

Maybe I'm dreaming awake, but...
Is it possible to add some nunchuk and wiimote movement controls, and actually play boxing.
It would be great!
Gee, I guess someone may have ask this before. If so, I'm sorry.
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

I just bought my new Wii a few days ago and installed the Homebrew Channel and ScummVM, and I must say, great work, dhewg! :D

But it's a real bummer that there is no USB keyboard support for ScummVM (yet) :cry: . You could play Indy3 with functioning boxing and airplane controls and even play AGI games if it were supported.

Anyway, great job, guys. Keep up the good work. :wink:
zaccret

Post by zaccret »

dhewg wrote:nope, sorry - no news on keyboard support. i never attached a keyboard to my wii and nobody seems to be interested in integrating stable&working code into libogc for it ;)
Is it still true ? I think that Guitarfun (another homebrew) has keyboard support.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

A friend of mine was asking about keyboard support and pointed me towards the emulator Hatari (Atari ST emulator). Im not sure if its any use to you but have you seen that this emulator supports both USB keyboard and mouse?