ScummVM - Wiimote freezes on startup in main menu.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

zxMarce

ScummVM - Wiimote freezes on startup in main menu.

Post by zxMarce »

Hi there, first post (tho I have been using ScummVM for ages now on Windows, Nintendo DS, Linux & Android).

I bought a Wii (US) last weekend, so the next logical step was to install ScummVM on it!

Well, I fire up my Wii (Sysmenu 4.3), go to Homebrew Channel (v1.1.0) and there it is - ScummVM v1.5.0, which I just added to my SD card today. Also added some files from games I own, of course.

I click (A) on it and the main menu appears, with the "mouse pointer" mid-screen. That's it. The Wiimote shuts itself off, and there's no way to move the pointer. No way to add games (game list is obviously empty), no way to click any buttons on the interface.

I reckon that I did not really read all the READMEs in the package, but I have never had any issues like this with ScummVM. My Wii has a 160GB HDD in the USB port, partition is not FAT type. Unplugged the HDD, just in case, but the problem is still there.

I searched the Wii port forum for "Wiimote freeze" with too many hits and no significant results. I also tried to turn the Wiimote back on, to no avail either. Also pressed all keys in the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

My questions are:
1- Am I doing something wrong?
2- Do I need any other type of controller? (I dare say "NO" because there are lotsa people apparently using it in the forums)
3- What sould I do?
4- If this behavior may be expected, I'd think it would be mentioned in the READMEs pretty boldly, as the Wiimote is the basic controller for the Wii. Is this expected?

Thanks in advance,
zxMarce.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I suggest that you look at the information on the thread below yours i.e. http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=11511

Specifically, you might want to read my last post there for some indication why the v1.5.0 Wii release may be having minor issues. If you can provide some debugging information with the nightly builds, we may be able to work out why and fix this.
zxMarce

Post by zxMarce »

@digitall:

Thanks for the info. I saw that post, but I know nothing abt the Wii's internals. Dunno what's an IOS, for example, but I see mention to them in lots of places.

I'll do my best, tho. ScummVM is a great piece of (reverse?) engineering, and I'd like to use it on the Wii.

Thanks again,
zxMarce
jason charles zero

Post by jason charles zero »

hello,

I have the same problem. the wii pointer freeze at scummvm loading.

the problem is that the scummvm homebrew 1.5 is not compatibel with newer nintendo wiimotes plus. the scummvm dol shout be compiled with the latest devkit / libogc.

you can try a older wiimote plus which is build before january 2012. Or you can use a gamecube controller.

hope that could help a bit
MysteryD8

Post by MysteryD8 »

Same here. I got rid of my original Wii remotes in favor of MotionPlus controllers. An update took care of compatibility with USB Loader GX, but SCUMM only works with the original remotes.