USB mouse support

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dogman82

USB mouse support

Post by dogman82 »

Hi, first off, I love this port to Wii and the fact it utilizes the 240p mode; makes those games look flat-out amazing on the CRT!

I'm curious on whether it's a possibility to add USB mouse support to those who wish to use it. The two main reasons being that:

a) I personally find that attempting to click on things with the Wiimote is very awkward compared to a mouse as you need a really steady arm and hand, making it a lot more tedious to do simple, immediate basic actions like clicking on an item or menu option. For example, I find that aiming the cursor over an object and clicking a menu option as quickly as at a computer being relatively impossible; with the Wiimote it is necessary to be careful to not hit the wrong command or object as it has a tendency to meander all over the place, and this is something that is just natural and non-requiring of any thinking at a computer. In other words doing the same actions with a mouse, well it simply stays put when you don't move it, end of story, and when you do it's a lot quicker and way more precise. And these kind of games you aim and click on things quite a lot (if not 100% of the time). Of course other people may like the Wiimote and that is great, to each their own, but in my opinion and possibly others it really gets in the way of enjoyment of the game and I find myself not wanting to click on things if I don't have to, which is the point of graphical adventure games in the first place.

b) There are certain mouse-only quirks in games like for example holding down a left mouse button, and not to mention double-clicking is a bit odd as well, though of course this point is relatively minor compared to the above IMO.

I just know with the DOSBox 1.7 Wii emulator there is support for a USB mouse and I can't imagine it would be too hard to implement? Thanks a lot for this great port; hope to hear your feedback on this!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

As far as I know, it already does. I had it working before. Or was that DOSBox Wii?
dogman82

Post by dogman82 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:As far as I know, it already does. I had it working before. Or was that DOSBox Wii?
Nope; just tried it again just now. The keyboard works, but the mouse definitely does not. Tried two different USB mice and they don't light up as well. DOSBox the mouse works, BUT, no 240p, plus ScummVM is just better. :P

Do you know if the developer is active?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

He is not, I'm afraid. He's moved on to other things, I gather.
Rikcahrd

Post by Rikcahrd »

dogman82 wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:As far as I know, it already does. I had it working before. Or was that DOSBox Wii?
Nope; just tried it again just now. The keyboard works, but the mouse definitely does not. Tried two different USB mice and they don't light up as well. DOSBox the mouse works, BUT, no 240p, plus ScummVM is just better. :P

Do you know if the developer is active?
Dosbox has 480i and 240p or any mode you want with the config file.