Issue with MT-32 emulation in latest versions

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ICEknight

Issue with MT-32 emulation in latest versions

Post by ICEknight »

So it seems like the new MT-32 emulator is too slow for the Wii and makes everything slow down with the consequent sound stuttering, rendering it pretty much useless in this state.

I was wondering, would it be possible to revert to the old engine just for the Wii port? Or have an option to select between engines?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

The code has been replaced completely with the new code.
I guess one option is to use an older version of ScummVM.

The old MT-32 emulator was pretty terrible at sounding like an MT-32 anyway. Not sure why anyone would use it or want it.

I'm not sure how the Wii works but if it is like Linux, you can run an MT-32 emulator stand-alone executable and have ScummVM (and Dosbox and any other software) use it as if it were a real MT-32.

You can probably just compile ScummVM for Wii with the new MT-32 stuff reverted if you really wanted to. (I am assuming you can do this if you were able to dump the MT-32 roms)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The Wii is not a multi-tasking console.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

Why was the old one completely removed, anyway? It was at least useabale in less powerful devices.

Are there any comparisons between the old and new emulators, somewhere?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

ICEknight wrote:Why was the old one completely removed, anyway? It was at least useabale in less powerful devices.
Because the code was simply updated with the new code. Maintaining both versions at the same time would have been more difficult and was not seen as a useful thing at the time. I still claim that the old one is very very bad and shouldn't have been in there in the first place. The only people able to use have a real MT-32 anyway so why anyone would want it is a mystery to me.
ICEknight wrote: Are there any comparisons between the old and new emulators, somewhere?
I can try to make a comparison recording that compares all 3 (old/new/real) if you like.

In the meantime, check out the samples on here which compare old munt with a real MT-32.

The comparison between new munt and a real MT-32 is inaudible to me, so pretend there is no difference between a real MT-32 and the new munt.

EDIT: On second thoughts, ignore all what I said. If you have a real MT-32 just listen to it and compare it to an old scummvm release on your PC. If you don't have a real MT-32 then you're violating forum rule #0.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

tsoliman wrote:
ICEknight wrote:Are there any comparisons between the old and new emulators, somewhere?
I can try to make a comparison recording that compares all 3 (old/new/real) if you like.
That would be very informative for everybody, thanks!

Could you do the Sam & Max intro, perhaps?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

No.
tsoliman wrote:
EDIT: On second thoughts, ignore all what I said. If you have a real MT-32 just listen to it and compare it to an old scummvm release on your PC. If you don't have a real MT-32 then you're violating forum rule #0.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

Oh.

So... going back to the topic at hand, it's a real shame that the MT-32 emulator can't be used on the Wii version anymore. Just that. =|