Fixing numeric keyboard functionality?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ICEknight

Fixing numeric keyboard functionality?

Post by ICEknight »

So I dug up my copy of Indy 3 and tried it again on the Wii. Turns out that you can't fight in this game anymore.

Wouldn't it be possible to just map the Nunchuk directions to those of the numeric pad?

Although the ideal solution would be to map the virtual keyboard to the "1" button (like in the official C64 Virtual Console), and then put the screen resize function in the "Home" menu, where all the configuration tweaks should belong. That would leave the Wiimote's + pad free for user-friendly fighting when needed.

Just a suggestion.
Axel

Re: Fixing numeric keyboard functionality?

Post by Axel »

ICEknight wrote:So I dug up my copy of Indy 3 and tried it again on the Wii. Turns out that you can't fight in this game anymore.

Wouldn't it be possible to just map the Nunchuk directions to those of the numeric pad?

Although the ideal solution would be to map the virtual keyboard to the "1" button (like in the official C64 Virtual Console), and then put the screen resize function in the "Home" menu, where all the configuration tweaks should belong. That would leave the Wiimote's + pad free for user-friendly fighting when needed.

Just a suggestion.
I find it funny that I was thinking about this very same thing when I came into the forums and I saw your post.

The problem I see with mapping the keypad to the control pad is that not only the keyboard is mapped to the down direction, but also shift is mapped to up and predictive text mapped to right. (In case you are wondering why you need shift in-game, you may notice that Shift+Home opens a different menu than just Home). Although I agree with you that the port specific options menu (button 1) should be included in the Home menu.

I have found the correct path to avoid almost every fight in Indy3 (which as a side effect gives you higher IQ score!), but there is at least one point in the game when you need to punch a guy (Buff, the big nazi guy that drinks all the beer from the trophy cup). For this it is mandatory to have the keypad mapped somewhere in order to complete the game.

The nunchuck solution was already suggested a while ago, but I don't remember what happened with it.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

The latest version I've tried still renders Indy 3 unplayable because of this inability to fight... It's too late to ask again for a fix in this port, right? :(