ScummVM Wii 1.3.0 problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

falc0n24

ScummVM Wii 1.3.0 problems

Post by falc0n24 »

Hello.

I have problem starting up the ScummVM Wii port official build 1.3.0. When I try to load it from my USB HDD it crashes with messages:
BEGIN

startup as 'usb:/apps/scummvm/boot.elf'
fatInitDefault failed
WARNING: FSNode::createReadStream: 'scummvm.ini' does not exist!
Default configuration file missing, creating a new one

assertion "_heapSize" failed: file "home/andre/devel/scummvm/scummvm/backend/plugins/elf/memory-manager.cpp", line 84, function: void ELFMemoryManager::allocateHeap()
Abort called.
ScummVM exited abnormally (-127)
Press any key to continue.

END

I don't have problem running any other homebrew apps on my wii. As I understand there is a problem with detecting the HDD and its FAT filesystem. WiiMC had some similar problems before in older versions 1.1.1 (http://www.wiimc.org/2010/12/25/usb-problems/). It was successfully fixed in versions 1.1.2 and 1.1.3. Would it be possible to implement that also in ScummVM?

Best regards
Falc0n24
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

does the actual nightly build also crash?

does it recognize the hdd when you start scummvm from the sd card?
falc0n24

Post by falc0n24 »

MajinChibi wrote:does the actual nightly build also crash?

does it recognize the hdd when you start scummvm from the sd card?
Scummvm 1.4.git (7/7/2011) crashes exactly in the same way as official 1.3.0 build.

When Scummvm is started from the sd card it does recognize my usb hdd without any problems.
I think that problems with Wii build is related to old version of libogc. Current version has many fixes for USB hdds. http://devkitpro.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2770
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

i added it to the bug tracker (hope thats ok)
obcd

Post by obcd »

I remember I had such issues as well.
If I launched the program from within Wiixplorer, it recognised the usb disk fine. If I placed an IOS Reload(58) at the start of the program, it worked fine from the hbc as well.

The problem is related to the fact that the program tries to ininialise the harddisk, while it's already initialised by the HBC. Reloading the IOS resets the wii usb ports forcing a harddisk reset as well. After that, the scummvm disk initialisation works.

The reason it works when launched from wiixplorer is because wiixplorer originally runs on IOS 249 or 222. It wouldn't suprise me it switches to IOS 58 when it launches scummvm or other homebrew.

I hope this helps.
falc0n24

Post by falc0n24 »

obcd wrote:I remember I had such issues as well.
If I launched the program from within Wiixplorer, it recognised the usb disk fine. If I placed an IOS Reload(58) at the start of the program, it worked fine from the hbc as well.

The problem is related to the fact that the program tries to ininialise the harddisk, while it's already initialised by the HBC. Reloading the IOS resets the wii usb ports forcing a harddisk reset as well. After that, the scummvm disk initialisation works.

The reason it works when launched from wiixplorer is because wiixplorer originally runs on IOS 249 or 222. It wouldn't suprise me it switches to IOS 58 when it launches scummvm or other homebrew.

I hope this helps.
Well. Even if that helps it's not a clean solution. Right now I'm using SD card to play my old games with Scummvm. :)

But the problem remains (Thank you MajinChibi for reporting bug to bug tracker). And I know that it could be fixed (probably not easily). As I had written earlier devs from WiiMC project had similar problems with USB hdd's and they (respect for that) provided working code for that. I have tried to review they changes and some of them were hardcoded in WiiMC and some related to using new libogc version.
obcd

Post by obcd »

Why wouldn't that be a clean solution? It simply runs the program on ios58 which is an official ios.
The wii and harddisk compatibility are a complex matter. You have the older ios with an usb 1.1 interface. IOS58 with the official nintendo usb 2.0 interface (the preferred method for homebrew) and 2 flavours of cios with their own usb 2.0 interface, that are regulary tweaked to improve comptability.
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »