iPad port

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

User avatar
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:59 am

Post by Vinterstum »

iphoneblog wrote:Does ScummVM 1.0.0 run on an iPad yet?
No, you need ScummVM 1.1.1 for that. Until iSpazio does an update (I sent them the link), you'll need to add the UrbanFanatics.com source in Cydia for that version to be visible.
macchrissli
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Post by macchrissli »

i can't use the ipad version so far. it starts on full screen, but then its unresponsive, I can't press any button in the interface - so I can't add games

never mind, didn't see the cursor! ...would be nice to get a instant touch on ipad instead of moving the cursor.
... fuck sorry .. found the touchpad mode ;-)
User avatar
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:59 am

Post by Vinterstum »

macchrissli wrote:i can't use the ipad version so far. it starts on full screen, but then its unresponsive, I can't press any button in the interface - so I can't add games

never mind, didn't see the cursor! ...would be nice to get a instant touch on ipad instead of moving the cursor.
... fuck sorry .. found the touchpad mode ;-)
Yeah I'm gonna make non-touchpad the default on the iPad :).
cromas
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:36 am

Post by cromas »

Thanks for getting the iPad version together so quickly! Playing Indy is a lot of fun on this screen =)

I am having a couple of issues, though. First, the drag'n'click toggle doesn't seem to go both ways -- I can switch to drag'n'click, but I can't seem to switch back.

Second, suspend doesn't work for me. If I hit the home button, then launch ScummVM later, it just crashes immediately. Second launch works fine, but the previous state is not resumed. Is there something wrong with my config, or is this not working on iPad yet?
yellowlemon
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:51 am

Post by yellowlemon »

cromas wrote:Second, suspend doesn't work for me. If I hit the home button, then launch ScummVM later, it just crashes immediately. Second launch works fine, but the previous state is not resumed. Is there something wrong with my config, or is this not working on iPad yet?
The same user experience here for me.

Also, can we edit the setting manually to make NON-TOUCHPAD the default? Which file has this setting?
User avatar
pankratz
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:27 pm

Post by pankratz »

My Ipad finally arrived a few days ago...i am very happy with it. I tested the ScummVM-iphone-port already on my ipod touch and I was really impressed! But the display is just to small for my eyes...So i would love to get ScummVM on my Ipad. There are still games i never played through... :oops:

My Question now: Is the Ipad-port already in a good state for "normal users"? Is there more risk for a brick than on my ipod touch? On this I used the Spirit JB, because i just wanted ScummVM and nothing more. And will the installation work like on my ipod? I didn't found these information on the wiki or here.

Thanks for all the great work, seeing the Sam'n'Max-Intro on the ipod was just awesome. :)
User avatar
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:59 am

Post by Vinterstum »

pankratz wrote:My Ipad finally arrived a few days ago...i am very happy with it. I tested the ScummVM-iphone-port already on my ipod touch and I was really impressed! But the display is just to small for my eyes...So i would love to get ScummVM on my Ipad. There are still games i never played through... :oops:

My Question now: Is the Ipad-port already in a good state for "normal users"? Is there more risk for a brick than on my ipod touch? On this I used the Spirit JB, because i just wanted ScummVM and nothing more. And will the installation work like on my ipod? I didn't found these information on the wiki or here.

Thanks for all the great work, seeing the Sam'n'Max-Intro on the ipod was just awesome. :)
From a code point of view, the iPad is just an iPhone with a bigger screen. ScummVM works fine :).

And there's nothing you can do to brick your device, at all. ScummVM-related or otherwise.

Check here: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8857
User avatar
pankratz
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:27 pm

Post by pankratz »

Is the build in Cydia also up to date? I only know the installation-method that's decribed in the wiki with UrbanFanatics.com as source...
User avatar
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:59 am

Post by Vinterstum »

No, the iPad-specific changes weren't in the last release, so it's only available in Subversion snapshots.

Copying it over isn't that hard: Upload the file to the device (like you would do with a game). Install OpenSSH if you haven't already (in Cydia), then SSH to the phone (use Putty for this if you're on Windows, then check the IP address to connect to in the iPad network preferences). Username root, password alpine. Navigate to where you uploaded the file, then run "dpkg -i <filename>"
User avatar
pankratz
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:27 pm

Post by pankratz »

Thanks. In which folder? So that I don't confuse the OS ;)
chrisis
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:06 pm
Location: Innsbruck, Austria

Post by chrisis »

pankratz wrote:Thanks. In which folder? So that I don't confuse the OS ;)
While I don't have an iPad it should be the same there, so you can upload it anywhere you want, just remember where you uploaded it :). And after you did the dpkg -i thing (it installs automatically into the correct location) you can actually delete the .deb file from your device to save a couple of MB :)
User avatar
pankratz
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:27 pm

Post by pankratz »

This is just great! Much more better than expected... thanks for this again! You made me very happy :D

hints for others:
1. At http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8857 you wrote "dpkg -u" instead of "dpkg -i".

2. I forgot to install ScummVM via Cydia before...

3. Now Cydia wants me to update ScummVM. I just wait until the next release and update than?

I'm going back to my ipad now ;).
User avatar
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:59 am

Post by Vinterstum »

yeah dpkg -u assumes you've already installed it :).

Just ignore the update in Cydia for now, it just gets confused by the snapshot numbering.
cpfoxhunt
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:53 pm

Post by cpfoxhunt »

Is there any way to make ScummVM on the ipad look in the 'home' directory for games rather than in /root? The /root partition seems to be much smaller in size and can't seem to fit curse of monkey island on it.
User avatar
sushi_in_fishbowl
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:49 pm

Post by sushi_in_fishbowl »

Wow.

Spent a full week with this on the iPad - and what can I say?

I've used ScummVM on the PC, Xbox, Wii, DS, PSP, Windows Mobile, iPhone - but absolutely none of them come close to the experience of the gorgeous full screen iPad touch controls!!!

Played Curse of Monkey Island (MI3) from start to finish, on mega monkey, just couldn't put the thing down.

Only my opinion, but I think ScummVM could be the KILLER APP for the iPad!

Regards
Post Reply