Mpeg2 no longer supported; what now?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Shake3000

Mpeg2 no longer supported; what now?

Post by Shake3000 »

So I started playing broken sword again and apparently my version has mpeg2 cutscenes. Scummvm lets me know mpeg2 isn't supported anymore, it used to be...any advise as what to do know? I could reencode the scenes but to what format? Thanks
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

or you could simply download the ready-to-play, hi-res dxa cutscenes from here.

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/

fyi, mpeg2 support is now taken out because support for smacker has been added.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jonatan wrote: fyi, mpeg2 support is now taken out because support for smacker has been added.
It would probably have been removed eventually anyway. It added needless complexity to the code (since the MPEG frames decoded to 16-bit YUV images, even though the original movies used an 8-bit palette), and the quality of the re-encoded MPEG movies wasn't that great. (The DXA movies should look exactly like the original Smacker ones.)
Shake3000

Post by Shake3000 »

Thanks for the lightspeed replies, works like charm.
benjabones

Post by benjabones »

Longcat wrote:or you could simply download the ready-to-play, hi-res dxa cutscenes from here.

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/

fyi, mpeg2 support is now taken out because support for smacker has been added.
Hi all!

new here, I'm in the same pickle with the cutscenes, but the download doesn't seem to download from the page! any help here?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

benjabones wrote:but the download doesn't seem to download from the page! any help here?
Works for me. Clicking on the link (right-clicking and choosing "Save as" doesn't work) should take you to a SourceForge page where the download should start automatically after a few seconds. It should also have some instructions on what to do if it doesn't.

(And I really should stop using the word "should" so much.)
Pretty_Boy

Post by Pretty_Boy »

Ok i have a question too, i have the same problem and i downloaded the pack from the link above, but in this file there are only 6 files in it but in my broken sword folder there are way more scenes, whats about them?