Trouble with sound -- LucasArts Collection

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joshofalltrades

Trouble with sound -- LucasArts Collection

Post by joshofalltrades »

Hello!

I just got ScummVm installed on my iPhone and tried DoTT, which worked perfectly. Every other game I have attempted has problems, though. Sam & Max has no voices. Loom has no music. Maniac Mansion has no sound.

I'm using the discs from the LucasArts Collection to install these to my computer before I move files to my iPhone. All of the above games have had every requested file from the list moved into their own respective folders, so I'm not failing to follow instructions.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Trouble with sound -- LucasArts Collection

Post by eriktorbjorn »

joshofalltrades wrote: I'm using the discs from the LucasArts Collection
Which collection is that? (There have been a few collections of various games.)
joshofalltrades

Errrr... I'm at work right now, so I don't know exactly what the collection is called.

It has:

Maniac Mansion
Day of the Tentacle
Zak McKracken
Sam & Max
Loom
Indy 3
Indy Atlantis
The Dig
Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge

And I think that's it...

Sorry that isn't more helpful.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

The only one that springs to my mind is LucasArts Zehn Adventures, but that one didn't have The Dig. It had the other nine games, and Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures. But it's in German, so I don't know which versions of the games it is. The description on Amazon just says it was 2 CDs.
joshofalltrades

That's not it... but don't worry about it until I get home and check for sure.

Thanks for the quick replies!
joshofalltrades

Well never mind about the collection name, turns out it's just a promo my local retailer was having when I bought it. It's just a bunch of the games bundled with multiple CDs and boxes.

So I guess let's try a different angle. For instance, the files I'm moving for Loom are:

000.LFL
901.LFL
902.LFL
903.LFL
904.LFL
DISK01.LEC

What am I missing? There's no sound.

I am hoping that fixing one of these issues will give me insight into the rest, but if not I may need to ask about them individually...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

joshofalltrades wrote: So I guess let's try a different angle. For instance, the files I'm moving for Loom are:

000.LFL
901.LFL
902.LFL
903.LFL
904.LFL
DISK01.LEC

What am I missing? There's no sound.
That looks like the DOS CD version of the game. If so, there should be a rather lengthy audio track on the CD. On a stationary computer, ScummVM should be able to play it directly from the CD. The more convenient way would be to rip it to MP3, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC, name it track1 (.mp3, .ogg, .fla or .flac) and put it in the same folder as the other data files. This is described in the README file, though some of the information may be a bit dated. (E.g. ScummVM should be able to support variable bit rate for MP3.)

Mind you, I don't actually have an iPhone so I can't verify whether or not it supports compressed audio like that. (I just don't see why it wouldn't.)

I should perhaps add that Loom is a bit of an oddity. Most of the games do not use CD audio tracks like that.
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Mind you, I don't actually have an iPhone so I can't verify whether or not it supports compressed audio like that. (I just don't see why it wouldn't.)
It does :)
joshofalltrades

Thanks! I'll try right now to rip that audio from the CD. Hopefully I'll have some joy.

EDIT:

Yay! It works. Now to do the exact same thing to all the other games I'm having trouble with.
joshofalltrades

Grar, Sam and Max doesn't have the same sort of rippable track on the CD.

Files I've moved to the iPhone:

Monster.SO3
SamnMax.000
SamnMax.001

I don't see any audio files. What could I be missing? I have sound, just no voices.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

joshofalltrades wrote:Grar, Sam and Max doesn't have the same sort of rippable track on the CD.

Monster.SO3
SamnMax.000
SamnMax.001

I don't see any audio files. What could I be missing? I have sound, just no voices.
How big are these files?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

joshofalltrades wrote:Grar, Sam and Max doesn't have the same sort of rippable track on the CD.

Monster.SO3
SamnMax.000
SamnMax.001

Look at the CD for monster.sou. Try to copy that. How big is it?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Monster.SO3
SamnMax.000
SamnMax.001

This local retailer of yours, who had a promo deal, you're sure it wasn't called the pirate bay..?
joshofalltrades

Vinterstum wrote:

Monster.SO3
SamnMax.000
SamnMax.001

This local retailer of yours, who had a promo deal, you're sure it wasn't called the pirate bay..?
Yeah, I'm sure. I've got pictures if you want them?

Anyway, I think the problem may have been that I put Sam and Max in the same folder as Day of the Tentacle by accident. I'm trying its own folder now.
joshofalltrades

That was the problem. Is there something in the iPhone ScummVM Wiki that mentions you should put each game in its own folder and I just missed it?

Anyway, all my games work fine now. You can close this if you need to. Thanks a lot!