iPhone 3.0, ScummVM and jailbreaking - Questions

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
evawes1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:25 am

iPhone 3.0, ScummVM and jailbreaking - Questions

Post by evawes1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:31 am

I'm new to the iPhone and the ScummVM port on the phone. In fact, I haven't got an iPhone yet - I will most likely get the new iPhone 3G S and the new 3.0 software.

I must say that the idea of ScummVM on the iphone was partially responsible for my decision to get an iPhone over other phones. However I must say I've become a bit worried about the whole jailbreaking thing.

The installation guide talks about using Cydia. It doesn't mention the need to jailbreak, but should I assume that Cydia involves the need to jailbreak?

I really just want to play ScummVM without affecting the rest of the phone. The rest of the phone is important as a whole. How does this look for 3.0?

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2260
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: iPhone 3.0, ScummVM and jailbreaking - Questions

Post by md5 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:15 am

evawes1 wrote:I must say that the idea of ScummVM on the iphone was partially responsible for my decision to get an iPhone over other phones. However I must say I've become a bit worried about the whole jailbreaking thing.
There's no need to worry, jailbreaking is a simple process, and can be reversed any time with no side effects whatsoever.
evawes1 wrote:The installation guide talks about using Cydia. It doesn't mention the need to jailbreak, but should I assume that Cydia involves the need to jailbreak?
That's correct
evawes1 wrote:I really just want to play ScummVM without affecting the rest of the phone. The rest of the phone is important as a whole. How does this look for 3.0?
It's not currently possible to put any games on the iPhone to play with ScummVM, if the phone is not jailbroken. The only option is to bundle ScummVM with game files, as it has been done with Flight of the Amazon Queen (which is a repackaged version of ScummVM together with the game files).

evawes1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:25 am

Post by evawes1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm more relieved that the jailbreaking process is simple enough.

As long as scummvm will work on 3.0, and that I can actually jailbreak the 3.0 software - and keep 3.0, then it looks good.

Post Reply