Apple drops NDA for released iPhone software

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MisterSentient

Apple drops NDA for released iPhone software

Post by MisterSentient »

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/

What are the implications of this for ScummVM for the iPhone?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

That depends on the new terms :).

But at the very least, it'll mean I can commit an XCode project that anyone can use to build ScummVM using the official SDK (and registered iPhone developers can deploy to their phones).

As for an official AppStore version: there's still issues remaining preventing that. Some are solvable given time and effort (autosave issue), some are not (the interpreted code clause in the EULA). When/if we solve the former, I'll try to contact Apple and get official word on the latter, however.
maxd

Post by maxd »

Vinterstum wrote:That depends on the new terms :).

But at the very least, it'll mean I can commit an XCode project that anyone can use to build ScummVM using the official SDK (and registered iPhone developers can deploy to their phones).

As for an official AppStore version: there's still issues remaining preventing that. Some are solvable given time and effort (autosave issue), some are not (the interpreted code clause in the EULA). When/if we solve the former, I'll try to contact Apple and get official word on the latter, however.
I look forward to seeing the Xcode project; I am almost a registered iPhone developer (hold ups getting licenses from my work), so it'll be useful for me! I'm also an engineer, so I'll see if I have any time free to actually contribute.

I actually am good friends with some legal types at Apple; I'm going to start asking them questions about the interpreted code thing, now that they have finally dropped the NDA. :)

Max
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

maxd wrote: I actually am good friends with some legal types at Apple; I'm going to start asking them questions about the interpreted code thing, now that they have finally dropped the NDA. :)

Max
Getting them to change the EULA to be a bit more specific about what it disallows would be awesome :).
shurlogg

Post by shurlogg »

Vinterstum wrote:But at the very least, it'll mean I can commit an XCode project that anyone can use to build ScummVM using the official SDK (and registered iPhone developers can deploy to their phones).
Any news about this? In my eyes, ScummVM is an absolute must on a mobile phone, but I'm a little hesitant about voiding my warranty first thing after buying the iPhone... So this would be an ideal solution for me...
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

shurlogg wrote:
Vinterstum wrote:But at the very least, it'll mean I can commit an XCode project that anyone can use to build ScummVM using the official SDK (and registered iPhone developers can deploy to their phones).
Any news about this? In my eyes, ScummVM is an absolute must on a mobile phone, but I'm a little hesitant about voiding my warranty first thing after buying the iPhone... So this would be an ideal solution for me...
I've got the XCode project up and running, but for some reason landscape mode is broken in that build, and it's prone to crashing :/. I'll have some more spare time to work on this pretty soon, though.
subspark

Post by subspark »

As for an official AppStore version: there's still issues remaining preventing that. Some are solvable given time and effort (autosave issue)
Well I hope this solves the first problem, Vinterstum:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/08/push-notificatn.html

I would certainly like to see iPhone's ScummVm make its way onto official channels. Best of luck to you with the EULA.

Cheers,
Paul.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

subspark wrote: Well I hope this solves the first problem, Vinterstum:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/08/push-notificatn.html

I would certainly like to see iPhone's ScummVm make its way onto official channels. Best of luck to you with the EULA.

Cheers,
Paul.

Not at all, unfortunately. The push notification stuff is just a way for the iPhone to automatically start up a given program with a specific network message arrives. It's mostly for IM software, it doesn't help ScummVM at all.
subspark

Post by subspark »

Im sorry to hear that Vinterstum. I hope luck finds you before too long.

Cheers,
Paul.
Synergie7

Post by Synergie7 »

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but game engines like Torque (from Garage Games) look like their runtime engine Torque Game Engine, executes bytecode on the iPhone.

However I guess the difference between what the creators of those applications do, and the premise of SCUMMVM is that the data for TGE would be bundled with the application and hence "signed" :-( Where as the SCUMMVM would need to load external / unsigned bytecode.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

shurlogg wrote:
A bit delayed, but: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6881