iPhone port impresses the press.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bobablob

iPhone port impresses the press.

Post by bobablob »

Last edited by bobablob on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpARC

Post by SpARC »

The press.. LOL :lol:
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Sigh...

[grumble]
As mentioned many times, this project is called "ScummVM", not "vinterstum's project". A whole team is responsible for all the code, vinterstum did the iPhone port, but a whole lot of other people did other ports and actually made the games play. You can't give credit to 1 person only, this is, and always has been, the ScummVM PROJECT, made by a TEAM of developers, donators, document writers and so on
[/grumble]

Other than that, publicity is always good ;)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I don't think the author mentioned me specifically at all in the article, at least :P.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

And people started to post wrong and stupid facts about ScummVM. Sigh.

A rant added to the Wiki page.

Eugene
stracenska

Post by stracenska »

I would have thought that news of the iphone port would have at least made it to the front page of Scummvm.org before sites like Gizmondo. How long has this been out now and it's still not mentioned along with the other "Latest Developments"?
SpARC

Post by SpARC »

I think as long as it is not official there won't be any news.. and all (at least 95%) iPhone users already know this nice feature of their gadget!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

stracenska wrote:I would have thought that news of the iphone port would have at least made it to the front page of Scummvm.org before sites like Gizmondo. How long has this been out now and it's still not mentioned along with the other "Latest Developments"?
That's because there is still no iPhone port for a stable version of ScummVM, i.e. it hasn't been tested for all games supported yet, and some engines still don't work yet, but then again you already knew all this before you made this post, right? :)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

There's a time and a place for everything :).

The versions so far have only been development snapshots, not any sort of official release (As in ScummVM 0.9, ScummVM 0.10 etc).
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

md5 wrote:Sigh...

[grumble]
As mentioned many times, this project is called "ScummVM", not "vinterstum's project". A whole team is responsible for all the code, vinterstum did the iPhone port, but a whole lot of other people did other ports and actually made the games play. You can't give credit to 1 person only, this is, and always has been, the ScummVM PROJECT, made by a TEAM of developers, donators, document writers and so on
[/grumble]

Other than that, publicity is always good ;)
Yeah, that's why I labeled the thread "Vinter & Co." I would have put "ScummVM dev's" instead, but from what I gather, Vinterstum is responsible for getting the iPhone port up and running.

Please don't mistake my gratitude to Vinterstum as a rebuke to the other incredibly talented developers who continue to make ScummVM the greatest open source project in the world!
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

bobablob wrote:Yeah, that's why I labeled the thread "Vinter & Co." I would have put "ScummVM dev's" instead, but from what I gather, Vinterstum is responsible for getting the iPhone port up and running.
Without disrespect to vinterstum's work, but the work the rest of the team put into ScummVM is much more than vinterstum's work on the iPhone port. That's why some developers don't like that you only give honor to vinterstum and mention the others like they hadn't done anything important ('Vinter & Co.'). So I guess it would be better to have said 'ScummVM devs & Vinterstum with his iPhone port' than 'Vinter & Co.'.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

You won't have to look hard to find record of me heaping praise upon the ScummVM team. My intention was only to mention to Vinterstum that Gizmodo had blogged the iPhone port.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

bobablob wrote:You won't have to look hard to find record of me heaping praise upon the ScummVM team. My intention was only to mention to Vinterstum that Gizmodo had blogged the iPhone port.
Well at least I have to look harder than looking at the topic in the topic list. (EDIT: which is changed now anyway)
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Yeah, I would have changed it earlier, if I knew that I could.
stracenska

Post by stracenska »

md5 wrote:That's because there is still no iPhone port for a stable version of ScummVM, i.e. it hasn't been tested for all games supported yet, and some engines still don't work yet, but then again you already knew all this before you made this post, right? :)
Thanks for the clarification. BTW, I'd go easy on Bobablob, no one reading his post will interpret that as crediting Vinterstum for the entire ScummVm project, just the iphone port. We all know it took a lot more people to create it in the first place, but without him that article wouldn't exist, so I believe Boblob is justified in thanking mainly him for this specific version, since that's the topic at hand.