ScummVM custom skin

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rotane

Post by rotane »

Wow, awesome mockup tx0min! I love the idea with the icons, and it is definitely doable. I'm referring to the Books app (an eBook reader) that has the ability to display a "cover.jpg" that is put in every eBook's directory - that's the app's website: http://code.google.com/p/iphoneebooks/

Next. I don't think a swipe-delete is necessary, but hey, why not have it. The game options is also well thought through.

2 thumbs up!
SpARC

Post by SpARC »

:shock:

Are these just pictures?? everything looks so real!
rotane

Post by rotane »

SpARC wrote:Are these just pictures?? everything looks so real!
Yes, just pictures and not screenshots. Unfortunately, I have to add ;)
SpARC

Post by SpARC »

Then make it like the Coverflow! :wink: That would be awesome!! And not flat labels.. More threedimensional like game boxes^^..

Just kidding^^
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

SpARC wrote:Then make it like the Coverflow! :wink: That would be awesome!! And not flat labels.. More threedimensional like game boxes^^..

Just kidding^^
Coverflow already works great with ScummVM.
rotane

Post by rotane »

bobablob wrote:Coverflow already works great with ScummVM.
Yeah man, now please go port the Leopard finder to the iPhone and we're set :wink:
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Nice mockups, and even some things which would be nice for the standard ScummVM. For example, alternate new themes or improved versions of the existing theme would be very welcom there, too.

BTW, if somebody is interested in designing a nice new 320x200 theme, that would also be highly welcome ;).

The icons idea is nice. However, there will be copyright issues with that, I am afraid, so we probably couldn't distribute them with ScummVM, they would have to be inside a 3rd party "icon pack". But ScummVM could be made to look for icons named "gameid.jpg" or "targetname.jpg" for sure. Whether vinterstum/other interested parties are willing to/interested in putting that much effort into it of course is another question....

Now if I had an iPhone... :) But those T-Mobile rates just are totally unacceptable for me (over here in Germany).
tx0min

Post by tx0min »

I've been pretty interested in developing an iPhone Application since I bought it, and I think this is the perfect chance to start.

But the problem is that I don't know how to start. Is there any documentation out there? Any developing IDE? Language is C++, right? How do I have to pack apps in order to get iphone recognizing it?

Well, I have a lot of questions and don't know where to ask.

Sorry about the offtopic.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Actually, for the GUI stuff, you're pretty much stuck with Objective C.

Some links to get you started:

* The toolchain you need to compile stuff: http://code.google.com/p/iphone-dev/

* Some minimal examples of various code features (very handy): http://thebends.org/~allen/iphone/

* Site with some forum discussion and code samples: http://iphonedevdocs.com/

* Most iPhone projects are on Google Code these days, handy place to look at code: http://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=iphone

* iPhone dev wiki: http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index. ... =Main_Page
tx0min

Post by tx0min »

Great! thanks!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Vinterstum wrote:Actually, for the GUI stuff, you're pretty much stuck with Objective C.
I would object to adding separate GUI code for iPhone to ScummVM. It's better to enhance current code, and all mentioned GUI improvements are pretty doable.

The reason for my objection is that we will have to support both versions which puts unnecessary load and may lead to easy desynchronizations. From the other hand, as Fingolfin mentioned, all ports could benefit from new improved GUI as well.

Eugene
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

sev wrote: I would object to adding separate GUI code for iPhone to ScummVM.
The Objective C stuff would be for doing any iPhone native GUI code (which most of these mockups have been examples of). Duplicating the iPhone widgets in our own GUI code would be a bit odd, though of course a generic theme+code for touchscreen devices would be nice.

Any native GUI launcher would have to be a third-party app that launches ScummVM via the command line.
sandman4sure

Post by sandman4sure »

sev wrote:
Vinterstum wrote:Actually, for the GUI stuff, you're pretty much stuck with Objective C.
I would object to adding separate GUI code for iPhone to ScummVM. It's better to enhance current code, and all mentioned GUI improvements are pretty doable.

The reason for my objection is that we will have to support both versions which puts unnecessary load and may lead to easy desynchronizations. From the other hand, as Fingolfin mentioned, all ports could benefit from new improved GUI as well.

Eugene
With an improved GUI you mean redesigned from the bottom up?
So not just some tweaks in the ini file and some new pictures?

If so, what are the limitations when designing a new GUI?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

sandman4sure wrote:With an improved GUI you mean redesigned from the bottom up?
So not just some tweaks in the ini file and some new pictures?

If so, what are the limitations when designing a new GUI?
Here is the deal. If you would start tweaking our theme INI file, and then face with behavior limitations, I will gladly implement them in code.

I.e. current behavior is limited to what is implemented there. Say, lists could be scrolled only with use of scrollbar. Or checklists have current standard behavior.

I could implement iPhone-like scrolling of lists, those "switcher" checklists et al. Only thing that I will be more motivated if I will see new theme progress from you and constructive feedback on current documentation and themeing approaches.

Other slightly unrelated things are that we really need better designs for current scrollbars and drop-down lists. And of course, about box needs complete rewrite, it looks too simple in current theme. So if you have some idea on gfx/effects there, I would gladly implement them as well.

Also guys you started to change color scheme of ScummVM GUI. As you may see, we branded current colors, so I would really prefer to have at least our default theme in these colors. Of course, I am not going to limit you and don't object to even including alternative color schemes to our distribution package, but default colors should stay as they are, at least for the time being.

Eugene
abritinthebay

Post by abritinthebay »

The problem with branding on a UI is that a UI is supposed to be just that... not a brand.

The ScummVM UI works on a PC, but on the iPhone it looks clunky and out of place. I've edited the modern theme to look more iphone-like on mine, and it does wonders for making it look more like a solid native app, even though it's not.

All I've done is alter the loading screen, change the colors, and change the checkbox graphics... and it looks a lot more "native". I'll upload it when I've worked out bugs.

Certainly a separate native loader would make more sense though, long term. That way you don't even have to worry much about the UI (except for the menus in game).