Keyboard and mouse input - suggestions and problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kandresen

Pie menu?

Post by kandresen »

First off: great port!

For keyboard-style input in landscape mode: I was wondering if a iPhone-specific "pie" menu might be a more useful method to get at ESC and the F-keys.

(I'm guessing it would need something like two fingers down to activate the pie and distinguish from game actions.)

Term-vt100 on the iPhone implements one to access arrows, ESC and control sequences. MobileTerminal.app is under Google Code -- haven't checked to see if the relevant source is available.
abritinthebay

Re: Clickpoint offset

Post by abritinthebay »

burgerkiller wrote:It seems to me that there is a small offset to the right and down of the cursor point compared to the tap position.
I second this impression. In fact this is one of the only two bugs I've found (other one was the weird freezing mouse pointer one).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Re: Pie menu?

Post by Vinterstum »

kandresen wrote:First off: great port!

For keyboard-style input in landscape mode: I was wondering if a iPhone-specific "pie" menu might be a more useful method to get at ESC and the F-keys.

(I'm guessing it would need something like two fingers down to activate the pie and distinguish from game actions.)

Term-vt100 on the iPhone implements one to access arrows, ESC and control sequences. MobileTerminal.app is under Google Code -- haven't checked to see if the relevant source is available.
I think something like this is the way forward, yeah. We can have many "layers" of the pie menu that you cycle through, so it'd give us an unlimited amount of input options (or even make the keys game/engine specific).

How do we activate it though? A few of the options that I can see:

* Swipe left or right to pull up the menu (awkward)
* Swipe left or right to activate a special menu-mode where hold-and-tap activates the menu instead of right clicking (good for games with no need for right-clicking, annoying otherwise).
* Replace the current ESC input (hold down one finger then double tap). Possibly the best compromise, though slightly annoying in situations where you have to hit ESC multiple times to get past an intro sequence.

Thoughts?
SpARC

Post by SpARC »

Choose the input for every game yourself or automatically.. Not the same for all games?! That would be nice I think.

If not automatically then please try to implement the option of choosing different touch options/layouts. Would that be realizable?

And also it would be nice to arrange the screen from top not from bottom.. That is easier to switch options and looks better i think..

Written by iphone and bad english included :D
xvi

Post by xvi »

I've just started playing The Dig and find myselfat a place were I'm required to hold down the left mouse button. Is there any way of doing this in the current version?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

xvi wrote:I've just started playing The Dig and find myselfat a place were I'm required to hold down the left mouse button. Is there any way of doing this in the current version?
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/IPhone

See the "Toggle Click+Drag mode" section.