iPod Touch/iPhone Port?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rotane

Post by rotane »

Man, and I just wanted to go to bed, but I had to refresh the thread first - that was 2 hours ago! You rock!
Vinterstum wrote:* rotane's excellent new icons :)
hehehe 8)
alden

Post by alden »

sound is working perfect, indiana jones 4 is now playable too!
very good thx :D now im just waiting that keyboard input works and i can play monkey island 2
stracenska

Post by stracenska »

sev wrote:
bobablob wrote:We've long known that ScummVM has a dev team like no other, but the speed with which you've gotten this port into shape still astounds me.
Well, the reason for this is that iPhone is something like 31st platform for ScummVM being ported to, so whole process is well debugged :)

Eugene
Gosh, and I thought I was going to have to wait until hell freezes over for this iphone version to come out.
fingolfin wrote:Due to some unforeseen problems, we have had to slightly postpone the release of the iPhone port. In a nutshell, the Heisenberg compensators are still suffering from some quantum flux issues; but hopefully we'll receive a shipment of magnatomic flux chillers next week, which we can the couple with the various game engines (likely we'll start with the warp engine), to achieve the required RDF (Reality Distortion Field), and presto, it should work just fine!

After that, everything should be a piece of cake, maybe we'll have to short-circuit the internet via a positronic matrix or so, but again that should be rather trivial compared to the rest.

To put it in *even simpler word*, we just have to wait till hell freezes over and/or Steve changes his mind regarding 3rd party apps on the iPhone. Whatever will be first (but if I were I'd go and buy some *warm* blankets, just in case...)

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

stracenska wrote:Gosh, and I thought I was going to have to wait until hell freezes over for this iphone version to come out.
Well, you certainly didn't provide any helping hand here, so you don't have any reason to complain. After all, this Open Source project is something people do it in their spare time because they want to, for free. We all have our personal lives to think about and our work. Don't expect to have your own personal code monkey doing all the work for you when you want it, unless you want to do it yourself. So kindly, enjoy the work that is being done and stop complaining and being sarcastic, pretty please.
stracenska

Post by stracenska »

Was there a complaint in my comment? Yes, my comment was sarcastic, but I was only referencing Fingolfin's sarcastic comment to someone else. He wrote several sarcastic statements intended only to ridicule people like Psycho for simply asking if there ever would be an iphone port. I just found it ironic that three months ago certain developers mocked the notion of an iphone port ever existing and now, thanks to the hard work of people such as Sev, it's a reality. Why is it okay for the developers to make jokes at forum members' expense but when we do the same back we're chastised? I'm sorry. I didn't realize sarcasm was a privelege reserved only for the developers here.
markush8

Post by markush8 »

btw: how did you get Monkey Island 2 running without any keyboard input?! 8-)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

stracenska wrote:Was there a complaint in my comment? Yes, my comment was sarcastic, but I was only referencing Fingolfin's sarcastic comment to someone else. He wrote several sarcastic statements intended only to ridicule people like Psycho for simply asking if there ever would be an iphone port. I just found it ironic that three months ago certain developers mocked the notion of an iphone port ever existing and now, thanks to the hard work of people such as Sev, it's a reality. Why is it okay for the developers to make jokes at forum members' expense but when we do the same back we're chastised? I'm sorry. I didn't realize sarcasm was a privelege reserved only for the developers here.
Well, people tend to be sarcastic when they are asked for progress ALL THE TIME when there clearly isn't any. Asking all the time things like "any news?" will certainly not speed up development or make developers magically fall from the sky.

You need people that are willing to create something (in this case, the iPhone port) and of course have the willingness to spend their free time on it and fix any bugs that might arise AND in the case of a port, to actually own the device that the program is being ported to.

So yes, it's natural that you'll hear sarcastic comments when you keep asking "why isn't there any progress?" over and over again, unless of course you wish to do it yourself
bramvandijk

Post by bramvandijk »

stracenska wrote:
Gosh, and I thought I was going to have to wait until hell freezes over for this iphone version to come out.
No, as you noted already yourself:
fingolfin wrote:...

To put it in *even simpler word*, we just have to wait till hell freezes over and/or Steve changes his mind regarding 3rd party apps on the iPhone. Whatever will be first (but if I were I'd go and buy some *warm* blankets, just in case...)

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!
And it seems that Steve has changed his mind :D
rotane

Post by rotane »

bramvandijk wrote:And it seems that Steve has changed his mind :D
He sure did! But this current version of ScummVM does not build on the SDK that Steve talked about. Well how could it, as the SDK is far from being released! :wink:
kultschar

Post by kultschar »

Ive been a PC ScummVM user for a long time due to my huge Monkey/Indiana Amiga days!! Got my iphone last week and after playing the crappy NES sim my gaming needs were not satisfied, anyhow I remembered scummVM and wow to my delight people were already talking about a port!!

Anyhow I cant thank you guys enough (esp Vinterstum), I was playing Monkey Island last nite (must admit I missed the sound) so cant wait to try the new version.

Two questions - im stuck on Monkey 2 intro like most people -is iphone keyboard support for this bit to be included in a later version?

Anybody got Monkey Island 3 working? I uploaded but it keeps taking me back to springboard when I try to start!!

Cant wait to try fate of alantis with voice etc
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

For those concerned about running MI2, zark chimed in with a solution on page 9:
zark wrote:Monkey Island 2 works, with some effort. You need to copy a savegame into /var/root/.scummvm on your device, then start it by SSH-ing into the device and running:

/Applications/ScummVM.app/ScummVM -d0 -b 103 monkey2

(If you have vterm-100 installed, you can run it that way too.) That'll launch the game to a point where you can tap-swipe to bring up the menu and load your game.
It's not the most convenient thing in the world, but it works until the genius of Vinterstum graces us with Keyboard support ;-)

As for running MI3: COMI, Vinterstum gave some insight on that same page with:
Vinterstum wrote:The higher res games like COMI and Broken Sword won't work too well for now, at least until I optimize the screen updating code a bit.
And MI3 is about as high-res as they go! I have it on my phone anyway just for testing purposes when new versions come out. I can get to the difficulty-choosing screen and select an option before the application locks up.
markush8 wrote:
TomFrost wrote: The repository: http://www.seriouslyslick.com/iphone/repository
Thanks for the repository, this makes installing / updating much more convenient!!
You're welcome, sir :)

As far stracenska, it sounded much more like he was offering congratulations to Vinterstum for doing for what other major developers thought was impossible -- at least to me. I didn't take any intended malice or impatience from that, but I can see where that mistake could be made. Regardless, though, I think our huge support of this branch is one thing we all have in common, so let's focus on that :)
Last edited by TomFrost on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kultschar

Post by kultschar »

Cheers for the info

I must be doing something wrong with my CMI 3 install as I cannot even get that far - it simply resets back to Springboard
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

kultschar wrote:Cheers for the info

I must be doing something wrong with my CMI 3 install as I cannot even get that far - it simply resets back to Springboard
That's strange... I mean, neither of us has it working, but it should at least not work to the same degree, if that makes sense. What are your specifics? I'm running iPhone 1.1.1 with the latest version of SummerBoard (though I don't see how a SpringBoard replacement could really stop a crash from happening). COMI is the Windows/English version, and the file sizes total up to around a gig.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Well, initially the iPhone did not support 3rd party (homebrew) apps, so adding support for it was moot - and still, you need to jailbreak it to make things work, hence the initial answer that there wouldn't be a port for it.

As for a virtual keyboard, other ports already have such a feature (e.g. the Windows CE port), so it shouldn't be awfully hard to include one.
sandman4sure

Re: Sound too quiet

Post by sandman4sure »

rotane wrote:
markush8 wrote:Try firmware 1.1.1 - there the volume should be fine.
I'm on 1.0.2 and had to turn the volume down as it was pretty loud in a quiet environment (sound effects and the beeping music in MI1, at least)..
I'm still waiting for the mp3 support for the cd version of MI1. That intro tune is probably the best music ever used in a game!!