Touch gestures change

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TheQL

Touch gestures change

Post by TheQL »

Hi everybody,

This manual hasn't been updated a lot recently, https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User ... iPod_Touch but I seem to have experienced a huge change anyway.

I did several builds from git in the past weeks to test stuff and I just noticed something else. I have a build from 20190625 which does not show any buttons above the keyboard, but the common gestures to show menu or switch touchpad mode, etc. work fine. Then all my following builds are from around 20190730, +- a few days. These show said buttons above the keyboard, but I can't get the gestures to work for the life of it. I didn't figure out which commit could be responsible yet, but I hate it. The keyboard additions are all nice and well, but the gestures should still work, or was that intentional?

Any info is highly appreciated, thanks!
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Touch gestures change

Post by criezy »

Around the same time the button were added above the keyboard the gestures were also changed. This is a separate change related to adding arrow key swipe gestures. In the old behaviour you would use three fingers swipe up and down to show/hide the keyboard. Now the three fingers swipes (up, down, left, and right) are used to simulate arrow key press. The new gesture to show/hide the keyboard is pinch out/in.

All those changes were added as part of their pull request.

(and by the way, the page you link to was updated following those changes :P )

Edit: I forgot to write that the other gestures were not changed. Enabling and disabling touchpad mode for example still uses a two finger swipe to the right (as before). And I just tried it and this still works for me.

Edit 2: Since I didn't change the gestures for touchpad and click&drag modes I didn't think of checking their descriptions in the user manual. The description there ("Hold one finger on screen, swipe another...") was indeed incorrect and has now been updated ("Swipe two fingers..."). It was always implemented as a two finger swipe, but my guess is that the hold one finger down and swipe another method might have worked before I introduced the pinch in and out gestures as the nearest gesture it could be mapped to was the two fingers swipe.
TheQL

Post by TheQL »

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, my trouble was with the hold one finger and swipe gesture, which always worked for me. Now this all makes sense! Somehow I seem to have been unable to find the commits attached to the PR and the change wasn't shown here: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... on=history
But maybe all the docs are just includes from elsewhere and that's why... :shock:

Anyway, just did a fresh build from git and tested, works!

P.S.: I am a little confused sometimes when building ScummVM. I have my own documentation I can follow from scratch, but once set up I would assume a git pull and a new build would be enough. This works sometimes, and sometimes I get weird errors. When I delete everything and start from scratch it builds again, so I assume some left overs from previous builds can be in the way. Is there an equivalent to "make clean" or such which I can run from Xcode or the shell?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The iOS controls (and this is the same for other platforms) are displayed in several places. So to avoid duplicating it we use a template: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... neControls. And then that template is included in all the places where we want to show the controls.

I have had no issue keeping the same clone for several years and just pulling new changes in there. However I do have to recreate the Xcode project sometimes (this happens for example when files are added or renamed).
TheQL

Post by TheQL »

Makes sense. Thanks again!