ScummVM and iOS 12

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

maxpayne

ScummVM and iOS 12

Post by maxpayne »

Hello everyone,

as you know, iOS 12 is finally jailbroken by Unc0ver included with cydia.
I did it on my 6th gen iPad. Everything is fine, but I would like to run ScummVM on it.
I already downloaded and installed ScummVM 2.1.0, that I have found here: viewtopic.php?t=14570
It is maybe only for iOS 11, because it's not working for me.
Everytime when I'm starting ScummVM, I see the ScummVM Screen and after 1-2 seconds the app is crashing and I'm back again on the springboard.

Please, can someone help me?
Is there any chance to run ScummVM on an jailbroken iOS 12 iPad 6th gen?
maxpayne

Re: ScummVM and iOS 12

Post by maxpayne »

Has no one any idea?
I would like to play my games again... :(
desepticon

Post by desepticon »

I would like to know as well. Just jailbroke my iPhone 6 on iOS 12.1.1
desepticon

Post by desepticon »

I was able to get it to work by following the instructions at this link

https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Comp ... mVM/iPhone

For some reason it didn't install automatically though. I found the product in the Xcode build folder though. Then, I created an ipa file using the first method in this link, by creating a special zip file and renaming it.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/119 ... for-iphone

Then I installed it with Filza.

I also had to use Filza to find the container for the app, as this product has no root access.
maxpayne

Post by maxpayne »

The problem is, that I don‘t have a Mac for this instruction so I can‘t do this :cry:

Is there no one, who can do an iPhone/iPad Port?
I can not belive that I am the only one who has an iPhone or iPad with iOS 12 jailbreak.
Jqw767

Post by Jqw767 »

Got it to work on iPad Pro 10,5 and Jailbroken iOS 12.
Use the iOS 11 version from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14570
I sent the ipa to myself by email and opened it with AppCake (need Jailbreak and AppSync Unified for that). In AppCake it showed up under imported files. If you install it, AppCake resigns the file.

Importing games was a hassle though. Needed to do the OpenSSH method described in the ScummVM Wiki, and searched for “ScummVM” in /var/media, as the apps names are not clear names. It seems in iOS12 ScummVM can only access its own folder and not the root anymore (at least that’s how I remember it).

Both iTunes (Shared Files transfer to ScummVM) and iFunBox didn’t manage to send the games to the right folder.

There is a slight bug for me: The keyboard is initially visible but in Landscape mode it’s in the way of course. Hiding it works fine, but getting it back is not possible for me. So basics like saving games in Simon 1 or 2 is not possible. For other games (BASS, Both Indys, The Dig and the Space Quest Series) this is no problem because you can make use of the ScummVM saving feature (hold one finger on screen and swipe down with second finger to access ScummVM menu)

Hope it works for others too! Sad to see the support is slowing down for ScummVM on iOS. Jail breaking is sadly almost dead, so most of you probably switched to the Pi or other platforms. I really still enjoy playing all the oldies on the iPad. Waited quite long for this (never got the self compiled versions to work on iOS 12).
maxpayne

Post by maxpayne »

I also installed this version from that link, but ScummVM is crashing for me after starting the App immediately.
I have installed ScummVM via iFunBox, because AppCake also crashed if I have to tried install the ScummVM IPK via AppCake.
I don‘t know what should I do, that it would be work.
It‘s very sad, that no one has any interest to do an App, that would be working for iOS 12.
I would like to play the games on my tablet and not on the PC or Laptop. :(
psy_

Post by psy_ »

Weedy Weed Smoker

Post by Weedy Weed Smoker »

Thanks psy_ for the love ! :lol: This post has been unlisted, but I created a new one...

I just created a website dedicated to emulators for iOS 11 and up here !

And as a proper repo for ScummVM and other emulators seem to have long been missing, I decided to take on the task to create and maintain one specially for iOS 11 and up

You can add my repo by adding this source to Cydia : http://johan.margueritte.free.fr/repo
psy_

Post by psy_ »

that's great! nice to see some emulators updated for new ios versions! thanks a lot, i enjoy to play the old adventures on scummvm for ios instead of remakes cause many times the original is better and uses very little space :)
maxpayne

Post by maxpayne »

OMG thank you very very very much.
Now, ScummVM works also for me on my jailbroken iOS 12 device.
I couldn't tell, how happy I am :D
maxpayne

Post by maxpayne »

Okay, I've tested some games now on my iPad.
ScummVM is unfortunately not working perfect with all DOS Games.
Indiana Jones and fate of atlantis is starting fine, but after the Intro, when Indy is coming, the game is crashing and I'm back on the springboard.
Freddy Pharkas is also not playable. Everytime, when I would like to enter the saloon, the game is also crashing me out.
But Monkey Island, Zak, Manic Mansion is working fine until now.
Khodeus

Post by Khodeus »

Monkey Island 3 does not work, or is it just for me?
Veda

Post by Veda »

Hi

I also had some problems at the beginning with some games with MP3 audio, but when I switched to OGG Vorbis everything was ok.

Every game seemed to crash when playing the first sound, so my guess is that there is some problem with MP3 in the latest build.