building iOS libraries using Xcode

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

donkthemagicllama

building iOS libraries using Xcode

Post by donkthemagicllama »

Has anyone been able to build the iOS libraries (libFLAC, freetype, etc) using Xcode?

I'm trying to make a tvOS port, and it works in the AppleTV simulator, but I need to recompile the libraries for tvOS.

I *think* this wouldn't be too hard if I could start from building for iOS, but I haven't been able to do that yet...
jonnyijapan

Post by jonnyijapan »

I just landed in your boat. Had the same idea; copy the iOS target, make it into a tvOS target, try to build to device (Apple TV), fixed (removed, for now) some iOS specific things like touches, but realized those libs are built for iOS and likely needs to be rebuilt for tvOS, if possible.

And FWIW, opengl is unfortunately deprecated since current tvOS (12.0) but can likely still be used... maaaybe, in the long run, opengl code must be replaced with metal code. Not that metal would really be needed I assume.

Edit: I also got it all to build and run using tvOS simulator.
jonnyijapan

Post by jonnyijapan »

Just an update: Not a lot of time on my hand, but I am *slowly* on my way to building all of the libraries for tvOS. I'm not sure we can get around CoreMIDI, if it's really needed, if we can just switch that off when creating the xcode project etc, in the end...

I'm not very used to building FLAC, freetype and all those libraries at all. But looks like I've gotten FLAC to work for now. At least the scummvm xcodeproj seems happy about it. I've yet to fix all of the libs so I can launch on device to see if anything worked at all...

So these are the libs that need to be recompiled:

libFLAC.a, libfreetype.a, libfluidsynth.a, libjpeg.a, libmad.a, libvorbisfile.a, libpng.a

For early-proof-of-concept-build purposes it might be possible to remove the requirement of one or a few of those. I guess I might try that further down.