Playing King's Quest 1-4

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Arwen4CJ

Playing King's Quest 1-4

Post by Arwen4CJ »

I got the games to copy over fine, and the games play.

However, I am having a serious issue getting the games to be playable. In order to play the games, you need to be able to type words quickly and easily.

When I go to type something, a stupid little old style cell phone keyboard pops up (one in which each number shares several letters).

I am finding it impossible to write anything in it, as the keys don't work as they should. I try to type the letter "s" and ps comes out. When I hit the backspace, it deletes my letter s.

I also cannot access the menus at the top of the screen -- when I tap on one, the menu options show for less than a second and disappear. There is no way I can access them.

Is there a trick that I can use to get my regular iPad keyboard to show up when I type? What can I do to get the menus to display properly? Could I use an external keyboard with the game, and would it work when I tried typing?

Thanks.

As it is now, the games are unplayable on my iPad because I can't type anything. Thank you.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

By default the cell phone style keyboard that you see is in predictive mode. It means that it will try to guess the words using a dictionary. In this mode you should only press the key once to get one of the letter from it. Initially it might not be the correct once, but then type the second and third letters of your word and it will change the first one. You can change the keyboard mode by pressing the * Pre key on the bottom left.

An alternative to using this keyboard is to rotate your device to portrait mode. In portrait mode ScummVM should occupy the top part of the screen and the iOS keyboard will appear in the bottom part.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Regarding the menus, I just tried it and in Click&Drag mode it is indeed a challenge to access them. But in Touchpad mode I have no problem accessing the menu.

You can find control information, and in particular how to switch between the click&drag and the touchpad modes, on our wiki: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/IPhone#Controls