ScummVM 1.8.0-git for iOS 7+ available on GitHub

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bsauvage

Post by bsauvage »

Great!

I've made some more testing: Fluidsynth is awesome (with the right soundfont... I'm using Shan's and it's I think better than MT32!). FInally a great sound on iOS!!!!!

2 more questions:
Graphics mode: would it be possible to add more choices than "Linear Filtering", like HQ or AdvMAME ?
MT32: is there any plan to support it on iOS ?

Thank you very much
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

bsauvage wrote:Great!

I've made some more testing: Fluidsynth is awesome (with the right soundfont... I'm using Shan's and it's I think better than MT32!). FInally a great sound on iOS!!!!!

2 more questions:
Graphics mode: would it be possible to add more choices than "Linear Filtering", like HQ or AdvMAME ?

Thank you very much
There are plans to support more graphics filters in the future.

Actually, we can just build modern iOS builds with MT-32 enabled, but I have no idea how the performance for it is. So, you'll have to test that yourself.
bsauvage

Post by bsauvage »

LordHoto wrote:

2 more questions:

Thank you very much

Actually, we can just build modern iOS builds with MT-32 enabled, but I have no idea how the performance for it is. So, you'll have to test that yourself.
thanks. Looking fwd to the new filters!

worth trying MT32 enabled build! I'm pretty sure modern devices can handle it well. how can get going there ? (happy to test and revert).
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

bsauvage wrote:
LordHoto wrote:

2 more questions:

Thank you very much

thanks. Looking fwd to the new filters!

worth trying MT32 enabled build! I'm pretty sure modern devices can handle it well. how can get going there ? (happy to test and revert).
You'll have to wait for the next nightly build. MT-32 will be enabled for it.
bsauvage

Post by bsauvage »

before I do that I'd like to keep aside the file that stores the whole list of games I've added to Scummvm (I really don't want to have to "add" them all again one by one!).

Could please tell me in the .app folder which file contains that information?

Thank you
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

bsauvage wrote:before I do that I'd like to keep aside the file that stores the whole list of games I've added to Scummvm (I really don't want to have to "add" them all again one by one!).

Thank you
It's not kept in the App folder at all. It's stored in "/var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Preferences".
bsauvage

Post by bsauvage »

LordHoto wrote:
bsauvage wrote:before I do that I'd like to keep aside the file that stores the whole list of games I've added to Scummvm (I really don't want to have to "add" them all again one by one!).

Thank you
It's not kept in the App folder at all. It's stored in "/var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Preferences".
ok thanks - will revert tomorrow after updating to MT-32 version. Btw is the Mass Add function on ios? would be good to enable it with a "right click" on the Add button.
bsauvage

Post by bsauvage »

I just picked up a new nightly (123b934f) which doesn't seem to have MT-32 support yet... will wait another day.

Meanwhile, however... what happened to the GUI ???

(sorry I can't attach... but basically it's DOS-like with green text on black screen, very 'old school'...)

[/img]
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

bsauvage wrote:I just picked up a new nightly (123b934f) which doesn't seem to have MT-32 support yet... will wait another day.

(sorry I can't attach... but basically it's DOS-like with green text on black screen, very 'old school'...)

[/img]
The GUI is caused by permission issues again. You'll need to make sure that all files are readable for all users.

The iOS7 definitely has the MT-32 emulator enabled. The iOS one does not. Please make sure you use the correct build.
bsauvage

Post by bsauvage »

LordHoto wrote:
bsauvage wrote:I just picked up a new nightly (123b934f) which doesn't seem to have MT-32 support yet... will wait another day.

[/img]
The GUI is caused by permission issues again. You'll need to make sure that all files are readable for all users.

The iOS7 definitely has the MT-32 emulator enabled. The iOS one does not. Please make sure you use the correct build.
GUI: thanks, indeed forcing all permissions does the trick (can this be forced in the builds, to avoid manually doing it everytime?)
MT-32: indeed I just picked up a new build now and it is there... and it works very well! BIG THANKS! It looks like all I need to do to enable this is Audio => Preferred Device > MT32. (of course set Extra path where I put the two MT32 roms). This then totally overwrites the settings inside MT32 tab which becomes irrelevant. Am I correct? If that's the case, then simply selecting in Audio tab Fuildsynth or MT32 is sufficient to chose the sound type, so I'm not too sure what the MT32 tab actually does on iOS? (I went to the wiki and it's not really obvious).

In any case it seems to work very well and the sound difference is quite notable. I'm not sure whether I prefer MT32 or Fluidsynth with good font like Shan, but it's definitely an improvement to be able to select between them!

One more thing to note: MT-32 sound seems exactly the same as if I select Creative Music System Emulator: does that make sense ? Also, compared to MT-32 on PC version, it seems to be missing effects like reverb. Does that make sense ?

Now back to Mass Add question: if I hover the cursor on the Add Game the comment box says hold shift for mass add. But is this implemented on ios, say with Right mouse click?

Thanks again
torrazk

Post by torrazk »

Any other news on the Apple TV / tvOS front? While adding games wouldn't work on the new Apple TV in the same fashion that they are added in iOS (due to how the Apple TV handles storage) could they be added to the compiled app before building and therefore side loaded along with the app?
torrazk

Post by torrazk »

I'm playing with tvOS and iOS builds right now and have a few questions.

What is the purpose of the "iphone" platform vs the "ios7" platform? I can't find anything in the readme or on the 2 respective compiling pages that answers this.

What is the purpose of the initial Xcode project that creates the `create_project` binary, which in turns creates another Xcode project?

I see that the CoreMIDI framework isn't available in tvOS. Is anyone getting this to compile for tvOS? Previous comments in this thread had made me think that one or two users were able to do that. I'm also getting other errors during compile for libraries that some of the linked object files were built for iOS:

Code: Select all

build/lib/libFLAC.a(stream_decoder-72A5D2A4B3762567.o), building for tvOS, but linking in object file built for iOS, for architecture arm64
Last edited by torrazk on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

torrazk wrote:What is the purpose of the "iphone" platform vs the "ios7" platform? I can't find anything in the readme or on the 2 respective compiling pages that answers this.
iOS7 is specifically targetting iOS 7 or later and has nicer support for modern iOS versins. iPhone targets all iOS devices, but misses support for modern.
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Hi,

First of all, thank you a lot for picking this up. I've been watching these forums every few months to check if someone decided to put some work into this!

I've got two things I'd like to mention (discuss?):

1) I'm not entirely sure if this is what happens and I can't actually test it again right now since I'm at work and the issue involves sound, which are two things that generally don't work together very well :|

I loaded the app onto my device last night and added a game. When I started it I noticed I didn't get any sound (no headphones, using the iPad's speakers). After turning off the mute switch in control center everything seemed to work fine. I know - this is intended behavior by the OS. However, certain apps choose to ignore the mute switch and play sound anyway. Those apps are mostly games or audio/video apps. In my opinion it makes sense for those apps and I think this is something you should consider adding to the iOS port.

To achieve that, you need to set the audio session category in the app. It could look something like this (sorry for the swift :roll:):

Code: Select all

import AVFoundation

do {
    try AVAudioSession.sharedInstance().setCategory(AVAudioSessionCategoryPlayback)
} catch {
    // Handle Error
}
please note this is an operation that is failable (it never failed for me, but it can fail, hence the do/try/catch)

2) Is there any chance to get a UIKit UI? I haven't looked at the code yet, sorry. But if it's something that could be done I might be willing to get involved in developing this.

fletcher.
bsauvage

Post by bsauvage »

Sorry to ask this again but I'm still not quite sure how the sounds options work on IOS:
1/ I do Audio => Preferred Device > MT32. (of course set Extra path where I put the two MT32 roms). This then totally overwrites the settings inside MT32 tab which becomes irrelevant. Am I correct?
If that's the case, then simply selecting in Audio tab Fuildsynth or MT32 is sufficient to chose the sound type, so I'm not too sure what the MT32 tab actually does on iOS? (I went to the wiki and it's not really obvious).

2/ MT-32 sound seems exactly the same as if I select Creative Music System Emulator. Also, compared to MT-32 on PC version, it seems to be missing effects like reverb. Are these normal behaviour on ios device?

thanks