ScummVM 1.8.0-git for iOS 7+ available on GitHub

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bSr43
ScummVM Porter

ScummVM 1.8.0-git for iOS 7+ available on GitHub

Post by bSr43 »

Hello,

I worked on the iOS 7+ version of ScummVM recently. Here is a link to my GitHub project:

https://github.com/bSr43/scummvm/tree/i ... tform/ios7

This is a preliminary version, but it works pretty well on all my devices :)

It should not be too difficult for anyone to download the source code (and all its dependencies), compile under Xcode 7, and install on any iOS 9 device.

Feedback is welcome, but please keep in mind that I’ll not have so much time to work on this project, and that even if it works, this is only the result of a few hours of work, so maybe I forgot some stuff.

UPDATE: the branch has been merged into the official repository. You can clone the repository at https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm.git instead!
Last edited by bSr43 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Perhaps you would like to join the team and maintain the port?
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

sev wrote:Perhaps you would like to join the team and maintain the port?
Yes, I would be glad to officially maintain the port, indeed!
I didn’t proposed a pull request on GitHub yet, mainly because I know that I should update the « create_project » tool first.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

That is really cool! Looking forward to it.

Eugene
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

The repository has been cleaned, and the repository URL has slightly changed.
GhGh

Create_project error

Post by GhGh »

Hi bSr43,
first of all I want to thank you for your great work, making this possible. ScummVM is one of the most missing Apps on my iPad since ithas no JB. Now I tried to compile it myself to sideload it on my devices. But I ran into trouble :roll:

Cloning the git repo works fine, also compiling the create_project tool works (XCode asks me if I want to update to recommended settings)

But when I run the create_project tool with the command line parameters from the readme I receive the following error:

Segmentation fault: 11

I also tried to compile it with "recommended settings" and without. No difference.

Maybe you have an idea what could be wrong here.

Kind regards,
Peter
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Re: Create_project error

Post by bSr43 »

GhGh wrote:Hi bSr43,

But when I run the create_project tool with the command line parameters from the readme I receive the following error:

Kind regards,
Peter
Oh, that’s weird. Did you receive a crash report? Also, what’s happening when you run the tool directly from Xcode? (You should only see the usage output in the bottom of the Xcode window)

Usually, here is how I proceed to use this tool.
The first solution is from Xcode itself:
- press cmd+< it should open the scheme editor
- in the « Run » section, the « Arguments » tab, set the « Arguments Passed On Launch » to the arguments you would have given to the command line tool. Here is a screenshot of my settings:
http://imgur.com/j3ThrE7
- in the « Options » tab, set the « Working Directory » to your build directory. Here are my settings:
http://imgur.com/gUNaYvB
- now, simply run the tool with Cmd+R

The other solution is from the terminal:
- launch the terminal
- execute « cd where/your/build/directory/is »
- now, drag and drop the create_tool from Xcode to your terminal (I mean, open the « Products » group in the left panel of Xcode, and drop the « create_tool » item in the terminal window). It will paste the tool full path in the terminal.
- add the parameters, like the ScummVM source directory, etc.
- press enter :)
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Re: Create_project error

Post by bSr43 »

My fault, I feel so stupid... I understand what’s happening: you haven't unzip the libraries in the build directory yet, and the « lib » directory is missing!

I updated the project on GitHub, so that it’ll not crash anymore if this directory is created after the create_project tool is used.

Sorry again for that mistake.
GhGh

Post by GhGh »

Cool, thanks a lot. I will try this at home :D
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

Url has slightly changed… again :)
GhGh

Post by GhGh »

Hi bSr43,
I just tested the process again and compiling and sideloading to my device works fine. Thanks a lot for the update. I just tested the first game (Day of the Tentacle, Talkie version) and I got music but no speech or sounds. The file containing the speech is monster.sou Do you have an idea why I don't have any sounds?
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

I just tested the process again and compiling and sideloading to my device works fine. Thanks a lot for the update. I just tested the first game (Day of the Tentacle, Talkie version) and I got music but no speech or sounds. The file containing the speech is monster.sou Do you have an idea why I don't have any sounds?
Which compilation method have you used? From the command line, you need to add the switches to compile with MP3/FLAC/etc. If you used Xcode, the only format available right now are FLAC, and OGG, maybe you have a version of DOTT with MP3 files, or something else? The Mac version works great, with voices, but I don't have access to other versions :-/
GhGh

Post by GhGh »

Maybe my game files are damaged, even in Scumm for mac I've no speech or sounds. I'm trying to get it working on my mac and when I've a working game I continue testing on iOS.

So it seems to be a problem with my game files, NOT with the iOS version...
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

ok, let me know if you find why you don't have speech. Anyway, I'll try to find time to compile MAD for iOS / simulator, and update the lib archive :)
thatinkjar

Post by thatinkjar »

Firstly, thank you very much for being the person to restart the iPhone port. I pretty much signed up just to say thank you :) We can obviously use ScummVM on a lot of devices, but it sure is neat to be able to access the games on an iPhone!

While I'm here, I thought I would add a couple of things that may help with development going forward. Firstly, the scaling looks great on an iPhone 6s Plus, but it's a little weird on a regular 6s. I turned off linear filtering on both devices, but the 6s image doesn't seem right. I'm probably not technical enough to explain, but the scaling ratio doesn't look even (e.g. instead of double pixels to fill the screen, it feels like a ratio of 2.1x is being used). Does that make sense? As I say, the Plus doesn't have this issue at all.

The only downside at the moment is that when you leave the app and come back, ScummVM restarts. It would be nice if the app supported multitasking or at the very least saved your progress when exiting (or prompted you to do so). Is there any way that this can be improved going forward?

Thanks again for all your hard work :)

Jon