Any news for a 1.6.0 version on iOS?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

joanthedark: Don't worry, we all have day jobs and IRL commitments, thus things can be delayed a bit! :)

I have checked the relevant history and found this commit between v1.5.0 and v1.6.0 which may be related:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/comm ... 7a3292e5e0

I am going to build four or five builds at various points between v1.5.0 and v1.6.0 with the older toolchain to try to narrow down the cause of the mouse inaccuracy issue you are seeing. I will post links to them in a while. If you could test with them and indicate for each one, if it shows the problem or not, that would be optimal.

Veda: If you want to try testing with these builds as well, it may give some further detail as to where your problem with the fonts was introduced. Thanks.
Veda

Post by Veda »

Done. All work for me apart from 2b558376 which crashes directly upon load.

Digitall, I think my problem is 99% related to the clang toolchain anyhow, since all the builds that I tested that were compiled with the old toolchain are ok. I see the problem only with the clang toolchain.

Another thing: the ScummVM-iph5 executable from the latest master clang crashes too, I had to patch the original ScummVM executable to make it work. Latest clang again shows the same problem with the cursor and resolution.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Veda: Hmm... Not quite what I was expecting as 2b558376 actually adds support for retina displays.

To be clear, which executable are you using?

With the newer clang builds, there should be no need to use the ScummVM-iph5 executable or to binary patch the normal ScummVM executable as the toolchain startup code changes should have replaced this. If you are doing this type of hack, that may be causing the issues you are observing.
Veda

Post by Veda »

Whoops, sorry, my bad. Probably I forgot to change permissions when I transfered the files...

I rechecked and also 2b558376 is OK on my side, same as the other three (no problem whatsoever, resolution and controls seems ok).

Regarding the latest clang: both ScummVM and ScummVM-iph5 work. The problem with resolution and control (i.e. half width and height offset) still persists on the clang build.
joanthedark

Post by joanthedark »

- 1e200620 (Old menu layout): Everything works like a charm.

- 2b558376 (New menu layout): Click-and-drag inaccurate, the rest runs without trouble.

- a4b0c0e2 (Old menu layout): Same as 1e200620, everything works.

- c3470497 (New menu layout): Same as 2b558376, only click-and-drag is the problem.

The trouble seems to occur with the New menu layout only (the one made to support retina display?), from all the versions you have given me in this thread, I haven't seen an Old menu with click-and-drag inaccurate yet.

Just for reference, this is how Old and New Menu layouts look like:

Old Menu, from 1e200620 version (click-and-drag accurate):

New Menu, from 2b558376 version (click-and-drag inaccurate):

(Old menu layout looks blurry compared to New menu in the same resolution, so I assume New menu was made to support Retina Display devices?)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

The "new menu" is only a consequence of the iPhone port to use the full resolution available nowadays. It's in fact just the same layout our desktop versions use for anything hires (as in 640x400 or higher).

But it looks like there's some issue with the coordinates you get for user input... Sadly I don't have any device with a retina display, so I'm not able to test this myself.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

+1 to what Lordhoto said.

I don't need to go further with bisection as the first "bad" commit is 2b558376 (1e200620 is the preceding one).

@joanthedark: Try this with the latest iphone-master and iphone-master-clang builds from buildbot please.

Select "Options" -> "Graphics Tab" and change "Graphics Mode" from "default" to "Normal (No Scaling)" then exit and restart ScummVM.

The result should be that the GUI Launcher will start in 320x200 mode i.e. "old menu layout" rather than the higher resolution of 640x480 i.e. "new menu layout".

If you can indicate if this works for you and if click and drag is inaccurate when running in the 320x200 mode.

@Lordhoto: As the commit indicates, peres has a retina device, so maybe ask him to check.. I think the issue is that the "scale" factor is not being applied properly in the mouse scaling logic here or that there is a rounding problem:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... eo.mm#L315
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

digitall wrote:Select "Options" -> "Graphics Tab" and change "Graphics Mode" from "default" to "Normal (No Scaling)" then exit and restart ScummVM.

The result should be that the GUI Launcher will start in 320x200 mode i.e. "old menu layout" rather than the higher resolution of 640x480 i.e. "new menu layout".

If you can indicate if this works for you and if click and drag is inaccurate when running in the 320x200 mode.
The iPhone port does not offer such scaling settings like our desktop ports. Thus, this will not be possible.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Oh damn... this is what happens when you are debugging blind without the target platform to test on! :)

LordHoto: I assume that the selection box is still there in the GUI, but has no effect on the backend :/
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

digitall wrote:Oh damn... this is what happens when you are debugging blind without the target platform to test on! :)

LordHoto: I assume that the selection box is still there in the GUI, but has no effect on the backend :/
It shows two graphic modes which have an effect for iPhone. These would be "Linear filtering" and "No filtering" with the intuitive meaning.
Veda

Post by Veda »

Here's what happens on my side with the latest build from buildbot.

Standard toolchain:

Clang toolchain:

In the screenshot from the clang toolchain, the cursor position is what I get when I click on the top left corner.
joanthedark

Post by joanthedark »

This is the iphone-master-81a863be:

There's no "Normal (No Scaling)" option there, just like LordHoto said.

I did try both options (they both check the Aspect Ratio box so I tried both check and uncheck) just in case, but all the choices lead to the same, click-and-drag inaccurate and it doesn't bring the Old Menu layout when I restart the app.

(Same happens with the iphone-clang-master-81a863be toolchain).
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

joanthedark: LordHoto has come up with a possible solution for this. The code changes can be found here:
https://github.com/lordhoto/scummvm/com ... tina-input

I have built this with the newer clang toolchain. Can you please test with this build please and report if it fixes the observed problem?
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/o ... fd.tar.bz2

Lordhoto: I tried compiling this with the older toolchain and this failed with the following error:
scummvm/backends/platform/iphone/iphone_video.mm:167: error: cannot convert ‘objc_object*’ to ‘float’ in assignment

Can you see if you can fix this so we can keep the builds working with the older toolchain for now please?
joanthedark

Post by joanthedark »

I can't replicate the issue on iphone-clang-iphone-retina-input-19a2a2fd because the mouse won't work (it doesn't move), neither I can activate click-and-drag mode. It would seem the touch function is disabled as soon as I open the app.