Scumm 1.5.0 on iPad 4 iOS 6

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

bonewire: octopus is basically correct. Download the package, perform the actions he indicated to overwrite the default executable with the iphone 5 patch executable, then using ssh to access your IPhone (as per transferring game data), overwrite the installed ScummVM.app with this one. Instructions on the basics of this are here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/IPhone

However, this is a bit complex and only really intended for power users, testers and developers who are happy with development testing builds. If you are not comfortable/capable of doing this, you will have to wait until the next release is picked up the Cydia repositories, but this may be some time. This is as _sev indicated in the other thread on this issue:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=12283
bonewire

Post by bonewire »

Ok I did it and ScummVM is working. :) Great thank you. I only have one problem now. The reason why I wanted to install ScummVM on my iPad is "The Dig" and exactly this game makes ScummVM crash when I start it and goes back to springboard. Does anybody have an idea how to make this work or already made it work?

Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis works fine though.

Thank you guys for your support.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

"The Dig" uses the same engine (SCUMM) as "Fate of Atlantis" and has been reported to work on IPhone on the games compatibility thread for this port:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4724

I suggest that you try running your "The Dig" datafiles on your desktop machine with ScummVM 1.5.0 stable and the latest development build, and see whether it works there.

This is probably due to either a missing or misnamed datafile, thus the engine exits when the resource can't be found. The desktop build will report debug information to the console window when this occurs, especially if run as "scummvm -d 1"..

If this works fine on the desktop, I can only suggest that this is a "Out of Memory" issue on the IPhone, but without debug output, this is hard to know and I don't know if it is possible to do remote debugging with gdb on IPhone builds... that would be a question for the IPhone porter(s).
bonewire

Post by bonewire »

Hi digitall,

first of all thanks for your time. I really appreciate that you´re spending your free time to help people making their stuff work. (Or developing it for all the platforms in the first place) :)

Anyway, I tried everything you wrote. "The Dig" works perfectly on my Desktop version 1.5.0. (and I used the exact same folder as on my iPad).
I also restarted my iPad (holding off and home button until it restarts) memory was free and it still crashed after starting The Dig.

But I remember something: The only thing that´s different with that game from the others is that years ago I used a method to shrink the files (I think that it turns all .wav files into mp3 files so the overall size of the Dig is much smaller). I did that to save space on my iPad that day and it worked fine but maybe this is something that doesn´t work with the new iPad and it´s A6 chip.)

What I will try today is that I find my original The DiG CD and install the full game with all it´s over 600MB and see if that works.

Do you have any suggestions other then that?

thanks again
Glenn
bonewire

Post by bonewire »

by the way: tried it on my iPhone 5. Same crash
bonewire

Post by bonewire »

As I guessed: It is the shrinked version of the Dig that isn´t working with the ios Port. I tried the CD version of the Dig and it is working fine with my iPad 4. Thanks guys

I think the shrinked version of the Dig (from ca. 600MB to 280MB) has resized audio and video files. Don´t know why it is working on the desktop version though.

cheers
Glenn
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

No problem, though fairly busy IRL, so fitting this into my coffee break! :)

Unsure of the cause here, though it may be due to increased RAM usage for decompressing the audio resources i.e. you are trading disk space for runtime RAM usage, with the compression tools.

I'd suggest:
a) Try recompressing with the latest scummvm-tools to see if the resulting compressed datafiles then work:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#tools

b) If this is still crashing, then try profiling the memory usage on your desktop build with uncompressed and compressed datafiles to see what the usage and difference is i.e. would be useful to know if this is OOM and whether we can do anything to the audio resource loading code to mitigate this. http://freecode.com/projects/MemProf is a tool for this under Unix/Linux, not sure about Win32.

c) If this shows no obvious difference in RAM usage, this could be a real bug in the audio compressed resource code, but without debug traces of the crash, this could be tricky to pin down... so you will have to use the uncompressed version for now.
bonewire

Post by bonewire »

Actually I don't care about the compressed version now. I'm so happy it works and I have enough space. But I will do the test if this helps you. Or don't you care either. I would do this if thiswould hel you but If you say: screw it. I'm happy with the uncompressed version.

Thanks again :)

Have a nice day
Glenn (bonewire)
Bayern_boy

Post by Bayern_boy »

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any further progress, and if a new ios release is coming. I know that quite a few people have gott Scumm up and running, but it would be great to get a new working release straight from Cydia.
kennyk

Post by kennyk »

I really want to get this working before my vacation next week, but nothing has been successful. I'm probably doing something wrong. I have tried installing it with the urban fanatics repo on cydia and used digidna's diskaid to replace the current folder with the one in iphone-master-latest.tar.bz2. I also tried ScummVM_1.5.0git.ipa with ifunbox (although I have no idea how to sign it, the iModResign didn't seem to have a program I could download). I'm not a developer either if that is important.

I appreciate any help and thanks to the developers, I have thoroughly enjoyed playing ScummVM on my old iPad 1 before it died.

(iPad 4 with iOS 6.1 and evasion)

[Nevermind, I finally got it. I had to register my udid with imodresign and wait a few hours for an email.] :D
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

@Bayern_boy: We don't have any direct control or relationship with the Cydia repository porters, so can't comment on likelyhood of that.
Bayern_boy

Thanks

Post by Bayern_boy »

@digitall. Thanks for the reply. Will Scumm 1.6 for iOS be posted on ScummVM downloads page? At the moment it's just 1.5.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

@Bayern_boy: ScummVM v1.6.0 for iOS will be posted on the downloads page when the porter supplies a build for this... However, I don't know when that is likely to occur.
Bayern_boy

Post by Bayern_boy »

Thanks so much @Digitall,
fingers crossed eh.