Scumm 1.5.0 on iPad 4 iOS 6

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

I tried over writing the var/stash with the new build of scummvm.app and tried it, no luck. It paused for a few seconds then crashed. I rebooted after and tried again, same result. I think it is logical to assume it needs to be recompiled for a6 processor, its the only logical answer like many people are saying.

Is it a big job to recompile a program like this? Im not really programming savy.
bonewire

Post by bonewire »

I tried the development build. When you start it the first time it takes a few seconds until it crashes. After that it crashes instantly.
jack44556677

I was wrong!

Post by jack44556677 »

I may still be right, accidentally, but the command line invocation failed with illegal instruction 4 because the launch application needs to be recompiled for the a6x, not the scummvm.app itself. I was a bit too quick with that .... Sorry! *Edit although when I tried to execute ScummVM within the ScummVM.app folder, it gave the same illegal instruction 4.

Next step is to install Xcode and give it a whack (if I can). Is llvm going to work for compiling it?

I also tried the dev version, and had the same trouble. Is there another place to look for crash logs? I checked /var/logs/crashreporter and /var/log but found nothing related to scumvm.app or org.scummvm.scummvm.
fydo

Post by fydo »

I recently picked up an iPad 4 with iOS 6.1, and I'm willing to help test this issue. It is happening on my iPad as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Mac or XCode, so someone would need to provide a binary for me.

EDIT: I just found the link to the development build earlier in the thread. I'll give it a shot. :)
octopus

Post by octopus »

Well, what’s up? If I could be your tester — you’re welcome. ScummVM was one of the reasons to buy iPad, you know. :)
Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

When do you think we can get a fix for the crashing issue. If scumm isnt working on all a6 devices thats pretty major. This should definately take priority. It seems that until this is fixed i have to hold off on all my sierra games for now :(

Is it possible they can just whip up a quick fix or daily build to get it back up and running? We could test it and give feedback. I wish i knew more about coding.
Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

As a temp work around i am just using dosbox, im playing quest for glory 1 vga and kings quest 5. I tried kings quest 6 but the voices dont work, its funny cause kq5 the voices work just fine. I looked at all the install settings for sound blaster and even changed them around a bit but no voice only music and sound.

I dont like the interface as much, or the speed, but it will tide me over till scumm gets fixed up.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

This link might contain relevant info and fixes to the problem
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1256 ... -and-armv6

Edit: In particular, this link:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1261 ... 8#12836808
Last edited by md5 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Ravippe wrote:When do you think we can get a fix for the crashing issue. If scumm isnt working on all a6 devices thats pretty major. This should definately take priority. It seems that until this is fixed i have to hold off on all my sierra games for now :(

Is it possible they can just whip up a quick fix or daily build to get it back up and running? We could test it and give feedback. I wish i knew more about coding.
It's not possible to create a quick fix. We use a self-build toolchain and not an official one, thus someone would need to investigate how we can fix this. It's not clear when someone finds time for this.
Davic

Post by Davic »

Hi! Any news about this? I Have an iPad 4 and the same issue.
Please I love scummvm and I would love to play it in my Ipad...
I wish it could be resolved.

Regards!
jack44556677

SOL

Post by jack44556677 »

http://metaneutrons.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... eipad.html

I suspect there are legality issues surrounding this (hence the custom tool chain), but it appears that the code available above just needs to be compiled for armv7(s). Even if I go to the bother of building it (if I even CAN), I think that same legality would prevent me from releasing it.

At least it looks like its totally possible and even legal too, if you have a developer account ($99 a year).
Latzen

Re: SOL

Post by Latzen »

jack44556677 wrote:
I suspect there are legality issues surrounding this (hence the custom tool chain), but it appears that the code available above just needs to be compiled for armv7(s). Even if I go to the bother of building it (if I even CAN), I think that same legality would prevent me from releasing it.

At least it looks like its totally possible and even legal too, if you have a developer account ($99 a year).
hey!!!!!!!!!!!! thaaaaaaaaaaaaanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i downloaded the ipa and sing whith my account , now run on may ipad 4 !!!! :) :lol:

why not run cydia version?? ¿?¿?¿ legality issues??
Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

If there are legality issues, which i dont understand how or why, how could it be allowed for the ipad 3 and it was compiled and works greatl i just dont understand how or even why this should matter becAuse we can still download it.

But in the previous post which i couldnt understand well you said you downloaded the ipa from the above link ,mthen you resigned it and it works great? So do you have a developer account, or if its resigned does it just work. How are you able to get it working on the ipad4?
Doofdilla

Post by Doofdilla »

Hi,

i just want to confirm that the .IPA that can be found in the link posted by jack44556677 is working fine on my ipad 4, ios 6.1!

I downloaded the "ScummVM_1.5.0git.ipa" and installed it (using well known methods to install unsigned ipa's on a jailbroken device) and it seems to work just fine. I played Indiana Jones Last Crusade for a while without any errors.

Thank you for posting that link, and good luck to the devs to incorporate whatever change into your "official" .deb file.

regards
DoofDilla
octopus

Post by octopus »

Works for me too.