Whats wrong with the new ScummVM Version?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MajinChibi

Whats wrong with the new ScummVM Version?

Post by MajinChibi »

iPod Touch 3g 64gb
iOS 4.3.2

Day of the Tentacle german cd version - homescreen

Day of the Tentacle english cd version - homescreen

Discworld german cd version - working (but i dont know how to load a savegame at the moment)

Indiana Jones fate of atlantis talkie version - homescreen

Indiana Jones and the last crusade german vga - working

Kings Quest 5 German floppy version - working (but at the first two starts, the pointer was stuck in the upper left corner, now at the third start, everything seems to be fine...)

Loom vga talkie - working

Maniac Mansion - working

Quest for Glory 3 - working

Sam and Max german cd version - homescreen

Sam and Max english cd version - homescreen

The Course of Monkey Island german - it works but when i try to enter the scumm menu or change the control settings---> homescreen

Zak McKracken FM-Towns - i can see the scumm menu and the talked text but no game graphic

Zak McKracken - working

The version i had before worked just fine with these games. Then i updated through cydia and now everything is kinda fuc... not good.

Do i need to report this somewhere else? (link)
Heared something about bug tracker...
But i thought the tracker is for minor bugs which need a well written description, but these are quiet heavy and easy to reproduce. (and i am not the only one, who discovered them recently)

thanks
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

First of, it's sad to hear that the release version has such troubles. We were asking for testers for weeks, and apparently nobody was willing to beta test the iPhone builds before the release :/.

Secondly, the bug tracker is a place for *all* bugs. Contrary to what you say, the bigger the bug is, the more importan it is to report it on the tracker.

Forums are not read by every developer. Forum posts are not visible anymore after some time. BUg reports on forum posts are easy to miss, and easier to forget (esp. if you missed it anyway). The bug tracker, on the other hand, is made exactly for this: Reporting bugs, and then tracking their status.

So, yes, please file a bug report on our tracker. The tracker can be very easily found from the forum rules, or from the link on our main website, or even using google...
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

fingolfin wrote:... The tracker can be very easily found from the forum rules, or from the link on our main website, or even using google...
That wasnt necessary (the bugs also can be found easily ;) )

i tried one of the betas, then i got almost the same problems and switched back, because i thought i made something wrong.
(couldnt imagine that such bugs could stay undiscovered)

thanks for the li... ah yeah google, i will see if i can handle the bug tracker.

Anyway thanks for the great work, i love scummvm :)

edit:
wow, just from the rules, to FAQ, to reporting bugs, to sourceforge, to register @ sourceforge... i cant possible imagine why no one is reporting bugs....

edit2:
now i have just to search the tracker if any of these is already reported and then open one new bug for every single game...

edit3:
done
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Actually, filing a single bug report in this case would have been just fine.
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

but now i feel more important and they see that i mean it :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

True :). Anyway, thanks for the reports, much appreciated. I have once more contacted the iPhone porter by email, too (pointing him to this thread). I had written him previously due to some other bug reports, but sadly so far haven't got a reply.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

fingolfin wrote:True :). Anyway, thanks for the reports, much appreciated. I have once more contacted the iPhone porter by email, too (pointing him to this thread). I had written him previously due to some other bug reports, but sadly so far haven't got a reply.
The last email I got from you was on the 30th of last month, about the buildbot. Previous one was with Sev CC'ed, about the remaining tasks on the tracker, which I replied to. So it looks like once again we have issues with emails reaching each other...

To the OP: I never had this issue before (including with DOT talkie), but I managed to reproduce it with the fate of atlantis talkie version now (which unfortunately wasn't a part of my usual test suite for new versions). I'll see if I can track the problem down.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Ok, found the issue.

As a workaround, for now: In the ScummVM options, under the MT-32 tab, change the "MT-32 Device" option to "Don't use Roland MT-32 music".
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

Thanks.

Is that the solution for every problem?

(cause i think the curse of monkey island and zak fm towns bug is a little bit different. but they also got closed as "dublicate" @the tracker)

EDIT:

Changing the mt32 option didn´t change anything
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

MajinChibi wrote:Thanks.

Is that the solution for every problem?

(cause i think the curse of monkey island and zak fm towns bug is a little bit different. but they also got closed as "dublicate" @the tracker)
That's what happens when you enter five duplicate bugs, I assume the last two are duplicates as well and close them :P.

I know about the COMI issue from the other thread, and looking into it.
MajinChibi wrote: EDIT:

Changing the mt32 option didn´t change anything
Hm, back to the drawing board then, I'm not able to reproduce this in any other way.

Things to try:
* Check if there's anything in the logfile (/var/mobile/.scummvm.log)
* Wipe the ScummVM preferences (delete /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Preferences)
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

i´m not used to use a bug tracker ^^ (but willing to learn ;) )

i will look up the log files tomorrow (2:49 am here atm <.< )

But good to know someone is working on the problems :)

thanks!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Vinterstum wrote:
fingolfin wrote:True :). Anyway, thanks for the reports, much appreciated. I have once more contacted the iPhone porter by email, too (pointing him to this thread). I had written him previously due to some other bug reports, but sadly so far haven't got a reply.
The last email I got from you was on the 30th of last month, about the buildbot. Previous one was with Sev CC'ed, about the remaining tasks on the tracker, which I replied to. So it looks like once again we have issues with emails reaching each other...
Indeed. Well, the last one I emailed you was last night. And there was another one on the 16th where I once more (for the 3rd or 4th time :), but indeed emails from me to you seem to be eaten 50% somewhere; maybe me or my ISP is on some kind of blacklist?) sent you a link listing all our iPhone bugs, some of them quite old by now. And begging you to at least comment on each them. Even if you can't work on a fix (resp. in one case, you'd have to verify that a fix I implemented actually works).

Hopefully communication over the forums will be more reliable than email :).
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

User picked target 'tentacle-de' (gameid 'tentacle')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... SCUMM Engine [all games]
Starting 'Day of the Tentacle'
WARNING: TiMidity: connect(): Connection refused!
WARNING: TiMidity: can't open control connection (host=127.0.0.1, port=7777)!
IMuse initialization - Unknown Error!
Overlay: (480 x 320)

User picked target 'samnmax' (gameid 'samnmax')...
Starting 'Sam & Max Hit the Road'
WARNING: TiMidity: connect(): Connection refused!
WARNING: TiMidity: can't open control connection (host=127.0.0.1, port=7777)!
IMuse initialization - Unknown Error!

-----------------------------------------------------------
User picked target 'zak-fm' (gameid 'zak')...
Starting 'Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders'
Your game version appears to be unknown. If this is *NOT* a fan-modified
version (in particular, not a fan-made translation), please, report the
following data to the ScummVM team along with name of the game you tried
to add and its version/language/etc.:
SCUMM gameid 'zak', file '00.LFL', MD5 'f690a2076d72c0ce305b973410514896'

WARNING: Starting game without the required 16bit color support.
You may experience color glitches!
WARNING: TownsScreen::setupLayer(): Layer palette usage requires 15 bit graphics setting.
Layer palette will be ignored.!

2 of the homescreen "errors" and the zak fm-towns error.
Course of monkey island shows no error even though it crashes when i try to enter the menu/try to switch the controls

User picked target 'comi-de' (gameid 'comi')...
Starting 'The Curse of Monkey Island'
WARNING: ImuseDigiSndMgr::prepareSoundFromRMAP: Wrong version of compressed *.bun file, expected 3, but it's 2!
WARNING: Suggested to recompress with latest tool from daily builds!

EDIT:

i deleted the preferences file, now the games start!
But the crash in course and the the bug in zak fm towns stay.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Hm, judging from the errors:
- It's trying to use... TiMidity? Is that even available for the iPhone platform? You can change that through the ScummVM audio settings.
- Zak FM-TOWNS seems to require 16-bit color support, and it looks like the iPhone port lacks that feature - however, it shouldn't show a black screen, unless the new FM-TOWNS graphics code doesn't work at all with an 8bpp display...
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

i dont know what TiMidity is, but every game on my ipod worked fine with the former version of scummvm... (well, except quest for glory 4 ^^ , even though the android version can start it)

EDIT:

Course works fine with the new version, thanks for that! (stretching to the whole display would be cool ;) )

Thats how zak-fm towns looks: