Police Quest I (On the F200)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's GP2X, GP2X Wiz and Caanoo ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BlackThunder

Police Quest I (On the F200)

Post by BlackThunder »

Heya,

Just today I was looking at ScummVM and some games I could play on it and saw AGI games can work on it. Anyway so I ckucked on my beloved Police Quest and got playing. A bit of adjusting to do with the predict text thing (hell couldn't you even put a small virtual keyboard on it?) but none the less still great.

Anyway so I got into the police car and started to drive around. However I don't know how to put the siren on! Which an important feature for any police car :P. Anyway if some knows how to turn it on I'd be thankfull.

Regards

Jake
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Re: Police Quest I (On the F200)

Post by DJWillis »

BlackThunder wrote:Heya,

Just today I was looking at ScummVM and some games I could play on it and saw AGI games can work on it. Anyway so I ckucked on my beloved Police Quest and got playing. A bit of adjusting to do with the predict text thing (hell couldn't you even put a small virtual keyboard on it?) but none the less still great.
A virtual keyboard is on the TODO but not that high up it (I have some other things I want to get right 1st). Best get used to the predictive input if you fancy AGI games :wink:.

Is there any issues with the touchscreen and AGI games you noticed?
BlackThunder wrote:Anyway so I got into the police car and started to drive around. However I don't know how to put the siren on! Which an important feature for any police car :P. Anyway if some knows how to turn it on I'd be thankfull.

Regards

Jake

What key was it mapped to in the original game (you should be able to look in your manual for that)? I might be able to sort something out then with a keymap.
BlackThunder

Post by BlackThunder »

Cheers for the quick response.

Predictive text is actualy quite easy to get used too.

I have noticed an issue with PQ 1 and the touchscreen. When you press on the screen the game tends to think you pressed about 1/2 cm up than you actually did. This makes walking through doors a big pain. EDIT: It happens rarely actually, but I have noticed that using B instead of pressing is more accurate.

I found out that the key was F10 (I lost the manual a long time ago).

I noticed that some of the axby buttons aren't used, so maybe one of those.

Are SCI engine games hard to emulate?

Thanks for the help DJWillis
Last edited by BlackThunder on Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackThunder

Post by BlackThunder »

I believe I found a bug.

In PQ 1 not too long after the car accident at the start of the game when you go for coffee with your Police mate the predictive text won't show up when I press it. I sit down and then all of a sudden it won't show up. It won't show up at all in Lesuire Suit Larry 1.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Please, file 2 separate bugreports, provide saves for PQ1. Our FAQ describes in detail how and where it should be done to be helpful for developers. That will let us fix these bugs promptly.

Eugene
BlackThunder

Post by BlackThunder »

Ok,

Well I didn't know if there was a key combination for the siren, so I asked. And since DJWillis replied I thought that I'd post in the same thread.

I'll do that bugreports now.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

About the bugs:

If you could file 2 bug reports for the issues with showing the predictive text box in PQ1 and LSL1 that would be great.
As Sev mentioned, including saves and as much information on reproducing it would be great.

Onto the feature requests:

As for the key combination (F10). I will look into the keymap and see if I can pop F10 somewhere (do you know if this was used a lot in AGI games, or are there other keys I need to map for AGI)?

A feature request for this would be handy if possible so I don't loose track and forget to do it :D.

The touchscreen code is hampered by the fact I do not own an F200 so have coded touchscreen support blind. I have a few ideas to improve the accuracy of the touchscreen but do not expect miracles as it is mostly guess work.

If your interested in SCI support then look around this forum and the internet for informations relating to FreeSCI. There is no FreeSCI port for the GP2X currently and FreeSCI is not part of ScummVM (as it stands).
BlackThunder

Post by BlackThunder »

I have reported the PQ 1 bug (with the save file) and I will do the other one today.

I can't remember F10 being used for many other AGI games but that was a long time ago (since they are text entering games not many had use for many other keys) but I can take a look (the only other AGI game I have played so far is Lesuire Suit Larry and well it doesn't work XD).

I'll do that feature request :D.

You have done an extremely good job for coding the touchscreen blind. Using it for predictive text is fine (with the rare occasion of it not registering) it is just the occasional 1/2 cm miss tht is the problem, which isn't a huge problem just a minor inconvenience.

I was wondering, will you be getting a Pandora when they come out? (Or will we have to donate to you for you to get one ;))

Here is the link to the feature request: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418823

Thankyou a lot for the help.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

BlackThunder,

Thanks for the feature request, I have picked it up and will try and sort something for the next SVN build (will be a little way off as I am busy).

As for the Pandora,

ScummVM already runs on the current development boards :D. I did that some time ago, I have an OMAP3 development board and have been very close to the project for 18+ months :wink:.

With any luck I plan to have an official port to coincide with the release of the console. I am currently working on a rough port of SDL to the OMAP3 to help other developers get started also.
BlackThunder

Post by BlackThunder »

Ahh I haven't seen it there. Good to hear about the ScummVM port. It is one thing that I really wanted. Although I hope to see some sort of FreeSCI port so I can utilize the keyboard the way I always wanted too :p (gee sometimes I wish I was enthusiastic about coding, tried it before. Maybe because I was using VB 6 ;)).

Are you going to purchase the Pandora?

It is funny, I never thought I'd actually get to talk to a dev about the issues I was experiencing with the games. I am too used to the big company way of things. The whole 'talking to the middle man' process. I am beginning to like this open source community a lot :D.

Thanks again :).