ScummVM save game for PC to save game for DS

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

timsta97

ScummVM save game for PC to save game for DS

Post by timsta97 »

How can I convert a ScummVM save game for PC to DS and vice versa? I already tried plain and simple transfering, but they aren't compatible, they need to be converted.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've transferred saves between different platforms and they've always been compatible but maybe there's exceptions to the rule.
Maybe the version number? What version of ScummVM was the PC version you used?
timsta97

Post by timsta97 »

I have v1.0 on the DS and PC, the game I want to transfer is "Flight of the Amazon Queen"
beatlefreak9

Post by beatlefreak9 »

There was a post about this a while ago, I think, (a few versions ago :P ) DS to PC copies worked, but PC to DS copies didn't work because the saves were gzipped. So, to transfer it, you need to first unzip it, for which you need 7zip or something else.
EowynCarter

Post by EowynCarter »

beatlefreak9 wrote:There was a post about this a while ago, I think, (a few versions ago :P ) DS to PC copies worked, but PC to DS copies didn't work because the saves were gzipped. So, to transfer it, you need to first unzip it, for which you need 7zip or something else.
Ah, you just need to unzip then. Tanks for the info ;)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

PC save games aren't zipped. Nor are DS saves.
Do you have a link to this thread about PC to DS saves being g-zipped. I don't get it. If you copy a save (PC to DS) you get an exact copy. It's not mysteriously g-zipped unless you g-zip it yourself first.
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Most ports of ScummVM compress savegames internally using zlib, which is also the foundation of gzip (which is diferent from zip aka PK-ZIP). If one renames a ScummVM savegame to have extension .gz, one can use gunzip to decompress it. ScummVM ports usually will also accept uncompressed (and hence bigger) saves, though.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks for the explanation.
I've always wondered why zlib was part of the build process.