[obsolete] ScummVM DS 1.0.0 beta1

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

[obsolete] ScummVM DS 1.0.0 beta1

Post by agentq »

ScummVM 1.0.0 beta1 released for testing!

Please test this new beta version of ScummVM, and post your results here.
It would be good to know which games you have tested.

Please include which card reader you're using and the language your game
is running in.

Download here:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummvmds1-0-0beta.zip

New Features

- Gamma correction feature to make games more visible on the original DS
- Assorted bug fixes

Supported Games

Build A:
Manic Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Passport to Adventure
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Bear Stormin' (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade (DOS version only)

Build B:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Build C:
Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Elvira 1/2
Waxworks (Amiga version only)

Build D:
Sierra AGI games
Gobliiins 1 - 3
Bargon Attack
Ween: The Prophecy
Future Wars
Lost in Time

Build E:
Inherit the Earth

Build F:
Kyrandia 1

Build G:
Lure of the Temptress

Build H:
Nippon Safes

UPDATED: Removed Rapidshare link and replaced with proper one.
UPDATES: Removed Woodruffe from the list, it was there by mistake
Last edited by agentq on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
InnocentBystander

Anything in particular you want tested?

Post by InnocentBystander »

I've got a bunch of Lucasarts and Sierra games on my SD card, so if there's anything in particular you need tested, I might be able to try it out.

Also: does this include Full Throttle / Dig support?
Hansi

Post by Hansi »

Mirrored here to skip Rapidshare waiting:
http://hansr.net/scummvm/scummvmds1-0-0beta1.zip

Will we see Discworld support in the final version?
phoenixclaws

Post by phoenixclaws »

Bug?

The Floppy Version of Inherit the Earth seems to work but I tried the CD/Talkie Version and all I get is a black screen.
InnocentBystander

Good so far...

Just messing around a bit, I tried out Sam & Max CD, DOTT CD, Monkey Island 1, BASS CD, Lost in Time, Leisure Suit Larry 1, and Space Quest 1, and they all booted and ran fine for a couple minutes. MI1 loaded the game I had in progress with no problems.

And I answered my own question: No Full Throttle support in this.

Any chance of seeing some of the feature requests we've made make it into the big 1.0? At the least, it'd be real nice to have shift & ctrl emulation to be able to bypass copy protections.

Edit: Whoops, found a bug. And actually, this seems to be present in .13 as well. When I enter one AGI game, then drop back to the launcher, it hangs trying to launch any other game. I'm running an Acekard2 with the 3-in-1 RAM pack on a DS Lite.
another world

Re: Good so far...

Post by another world »

InnocentBystander wrote:Just messing around a bit, I Edit: Whoops, found a bug. And actually, this seems to be present in .13 as well. When I enter one AGI game, then drop back to the launcher, it hangs trying to launch any other game. I'm running an Acekard2 with the 3-in-1 RAM pack on a DS Lite.
in regards to v.13...

i tested a few hundred agi games (retail and fan made) and only had 1 or 2 freeze when trying to go back to the launcher. the problem is game specific and not a scummvmds issue. i'm also running the same set up as you with akaio 1.4.1 proper on one card and akaio 1.5 beta on the other.

as for this new beta, many of the agi games (including fan made games) are loading with more than 1 game to choose from in the launcher. what i mean is, when i pick the folder where the game is, scummvmds is asking me "pick a game:" to load. these games, no matter which i pick, are freezing up and/or shutting down the nds. i tried the same games without removing them from the msd, changing anything, etc with v.13 and everything works as it should. scummvm simply goes to the correct loading screen and then adds the game to the launcher without providing any choices -- as it has always done so in past revisions.

i've no idea what might have changed from v.13 to this beta, as you stated its mostly bug fixes, but something has altered the way agi games were loading and working in the past.

i've noticed that a red hourglass is showing up with agi games load. v.13 did not do this so i have to assume that the code was altered.

i hope this bug report helps in some way. if you need better testing please PM me and i'll try to set aside some time to test 50 or so games on both builds.

cheers,
-another world
InnocentBystander

Re: Good so far...

another world wrote: i tested a few hundred agi games (retail and fan made) and only had 1 or 2 freeze when trying to go back to the launcher. the problem is game specific and not a scummvmds issue. i'm also running the same set up as you with akaio 1.4.1 proper on one card and akaio 1.5 beta on the other.
-another world
OK, but when this problem is occurring on titles like King's Quest 1 & 2, Space Quest 1 & 2, and Leisure Suit Larry 1, don't you think it's a little disingenuous to try to handwave that away as being a "game specific" problem? I suspect far more of us here, if we're using the AGI build, are using it for the Sierra classics and not fangames. From playing around, it seems like the only AGI games I can freely switch between are, Manhunter, PQ1, and (oddly) Black Cauldron.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

@another world: I've asked the rest of the team to comment on your AGI games crashing issue. Hopefull someone will know something which will help.

While I have only made a few changes to the DS port this time round, the engine teams have all been working on their respective engines, so all those changes and new features are in the DS port too. This means new bugs may have appeared. This is one reason why everything needs testing.

@phoenixclaws: The CD version of ITE has never worked, it just requires too much memory for the DS.

@InnocentBystander: Isn't there one specific key combination to skip the age check in Leisure Suit Larry? Perhaps adding a specific button for this would be an easier solution than adding Ctrl and Alt to the keyboard. I'll look into it.

I'd like to add Discworld support to the game for 1.0.0 but it depends mostly on how much time I get to work on it. Real life is taking up all my time at the moment!
phoenixclaws

Post by phoenixclaws »

Ah okay. It might be good to say Floppy Version only in the working games list for Inherit the Earth. You've put similar info in for others so I hope that's not such a big deal.
another world

Post by another world »

@InnocentBystander: i said both retail and fan made in my original post to you. retail meaning the commercial games. none of the commercial games crashed for me when returing to the launcher, this included verious builds and revisions of each game. perhaps a reformat of your msd using the panasonic formatter is in order?

please understand i am not calling you a liar. i beta test as my non-paid job =). i have 5 acekards running different versions of the firmwares and different versions of scummvmds. all part of an ongoing compatibility project, of sorts.

@agentq: cheers mate.

i have to ask, would there be a possibility of getting the "enter" key mapped to the "L" trigger for the agi build? it would save a lot of time while playing. i am right handed and moving the hand that holds the stylus down to hit "B" a few hundred times a game causes the nds to move around a bit more than i'd like. i realize what i am asking is something i would love in my own personal build. i can only justify it by stating that right handed people hold onto the nds with their index finger on the "L" trigger. the "enter" key on the keyboard is a bit small and sometimes hard to hit when playing agi games for hours on end.

-another world
Mud

Re: Please help test ScummVM DS 1.0.0 beta1 here!

Post by Mud »

agentq wrote:The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble
Wow, I didn't know it was possible to run 640 x 400 games on the DS! I can't wait to test Woodruff. :D
InnocentBystander

@another world - sorry I got snippy. I just did a full reformat of my SD card, and I'm getting the exact same behavior. Far more AGI games lock up upon quitting to the menu and relaunching than not. Do you think we're looking at some tiny difference between different versions of the AK2 hardware? It's not like Chinese chip pirates are known for their build quality . . .

@agentq: As far as I know, there are two copy protection codes that would be needed. The one for LSL1 is Alt-X, and for King's Quest IV AGI, you press Alt-D, which brings up a prompt where you type MARBLE to bypass it.

...wait. If I recall, Gold Rush had manual-based copy protection as well. Anyone know offhand if there was a key combo to bypass it?
another world

Post by another world »

InnocentBystander wrote:@another world - sorry I got snippy. I just did a full reformat of my SD card, and I'm getting the exact same behavior. Far more AGI games lock up upon quitting to the menu and relaunching than not. Do you think we're looking at some tiny difference between different versions of the AK2 hardware? It's not like Chinese chip pirates are known for their build quality . . .
this is getting a bit off topic for this thread so i will only type this 1 reply. if you need more help to debug this you are welcome to join #acekard on /server irc2.gbatemp.net:5190 on the irc network.

if you are using the official firmware, give akaio a try. akaio has a much higher compatibility (as well various improvements, updates, etc) over the official firmware. however, if you are using akaio try the official dldi. the akaio 1.4.1 proper dldi file has some issues, for some people, on certain homebrews. i've not had any problems but it appears the official dldi may fix any that you might have. keep in mind that this is a known bug and it has been fixed in akaio 1.5, which is not yet a public release.

also when you did your reformat using the panasonic formatter did you put on a clean copy of the firmware? it is possible that a file or two became corrupt in the firmware folder. the only things you should save are the globalsettings.ini and the theme folder (if you use a custom skin). perhaps the savelist.bin for the official firmware as well (i can't recall if it uses this or not).

it should have nothing to do with the hardware. again please feel free to join #acekard so that we can help you out more.

cheers,
-another world
InnocentBystander

@Another World

Eh, if you're on the Akaio team, I'll take your word that it's a software issue unrelated to ScummVM. And I'm content enough with current behavior that I probably won't mess around with it if it's stuff that's fixed in 1.5.

I wouldn't have brought it up at all except for it being a bughunt thread.

Cheers!

PS - Akaio rocks, thanks for working on it in whatever capacity. :-)
alexfont

Post by alexfont »

Hey guys,

Just got a few days my CycloDS Evolution, so I decide to test ScummVM on it as you asked.
My firmware is the last one, 1.54, although ScummVM console prints out a DLDI device message with version 1.3 which I don't know if is the last one.

I test only two games from Build A, The Secret of Monkey Island (CD version) and Indiana Jones The Last Cruzade.

On The Secret of Monkey Island I found:
  • The in-game action controller, where we can choose those options "Push", "Talk To", etc. is a bit cutoff and the bottom screen. Its difficult to choose the bottom options.

The dialogue choice lines are cut a bit in the beginning of each line, probably due to rescaling.

Getting around with zoom image to see text better while dialogue choice are at prompt, and we can accidently choice one of the dialogues without taking the pen out.

Zoom image the 2nd screen doesn't have the same ration of width and height as the main screen which is a bit weird.
Now real bugs a found:
  • While talking with a pirate inside the tavern (the one in the middle bottom table) after talk with those 3 main pirates at right scene screen, I found a little bug in that screen image. I choice the first dialogue about "LeChunk" and after some dialogues the pirate head had a pixel black line all over its neck in. The line appear really fast while pirates head change his eyes and month. Don't know if this happens with pc version

After first cut-scene about LeChunk (blueish scenario) ends, the music got stuck for about 2 seconds (looping). After that the other scene music start without problems.
On Indiana Jones The Last Cruzade:
  • Just found one thing that may cause by rescaling. After the first fight in the ring, I couldn't choice the dialogues. Only after a bit of trial and error with the pen it assume one of it.
I didn't got much further in this test but I'll try continue testing other games.