Please test! Run Full Throttle and The Dig using slot-2 RAM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Understood agentq.
Seeing as how FT and the Dig are Scumm games the NDS version of ScummVM now feels more complete anyway.
Thanks for all your work on it. I've played bits of both games on my DS Lite at home but I'll be playing them a lot more next time I need to make a train journey or something.
The offer stands open on ITE anyway.
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

@agentq
I've got a stra,nge bug occuring for the first time. When i try to save, the file name got an continuous "?????" as i type something but, of course, i don't.
It happened after skipping a cinematic on the museum room.
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

@agentq
I've got a stra,nge bug occuring for the first time. When i try to save, the file name got an continuous "?????" as i type something but, of course, i don't.
It happened after skipping a cinematic on the museum room.
Doomsdayman

Post by Doomsdayman »

How did you get the dig too work i just cant get it too work it says that the game dosnt exist
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Doomsdayman wrote:How did you get the dig too work i just cant get it too work it says that the game dosnt exist
If you're trying to 'Add Game' in the ScummVM menu and can't then there's probably something wrong with the game files.
DrWadsy

Post by DrWadsy »

Just completed The Dig. Thought you'd like to know it's definitely completable :)

I played on a DSLite with the M3 Real Flashcart, and M3 GBA expansion pack, just FYI.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!

Game froze a few times, mostly around the area where you're lining up the moons to light up the tomb. It froze several times on entering the tomb, and several times when messing with the moons. I didn't get any error messages or anything, but they were quite regular (usually within 10 mins of starting to play)

Once I was past the stage where maggie has been captured it didn't crash again... not sure why. Only thing I did differently during those sections was to have a higher level of screen brightness. I played on 1 or 2 most of the time, but during the time when it was crashing I had it up to 3 (and sometimes 4). Not sure if it contributed or not, I'll test it more.

As people have mentioned, cutscenes are fairly jumpy, and voices can get pretty nasty sounding. I even had some bursts of static occasionally (once or twice when irritating the bats in the cave)

Anyway, fantastic job, extremely well done :) Hope this feedback helps.
Doomsdayman

Post by Doomsdayman »

can it be that the scumm i use is a beta
Doomsdayman

Post by Doomsdayman »

i used scummvm pc v 1.11 and the dig and Benath Steel Sky worked i think that there is something rong with the ds version i get weird things like when i sad pick up he looks at things in monkey island 2 and day of tentecels please fix this i want too play them soo badly outside
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Doomsdayman wrote:i used scummvm pc v 1.11 and the dig and Benath Steel Sky worked i think that there is something rong with the ds version i get weird things like when i sad pick up he looks at things in monkey island 2 and day of tentecels please fix this i want too play them soo badly outside
You'll notice the first page of this thread was posted 3 weeks ago. Full Throttle and The Dig have only been working that long. You'll also notice that there are are 5 builds. It's very much a WIP (work-in-progress)
Up until these 2 new additions (FT/Dig) all of the ScummVM nDS thumbs came in one zip. Thumbs are the builds for each engine. Example: All the other SCUMM games are thumb A.
When a new stable ScummVM is released (most recent 0.13 so by v1.11 I'm assuming it's actually 0.11.1) then it's released at the same time, or around the same time, for all platforms.

The latest 0.13 build for DS.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7119

The build before that (0.12)
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6090

Notice 0.12 is obsolete. If you have problems you will be told to try 0.13. Same goes for all platforms. When ever you use ScummVM always use the latest build which will be 'unstable'. If you don't like the idea of unstable and want to use the most recent stable then you could come across a problem which has already been fixed.
If you believe you have a genuine problem you can file a bug report. It will be looked at but remember this takes time from working on new stuff. So only do it if you think you've tried everything.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

@DrWadsy: it's good to know that the game is completable, even if there are crashes.

@mortys: I saw that problem a while ago. I thought I'd fixed it. It seems that I didn't! I think it was caused by pressing several buttons at the same time, so if you try and avoid that, it'll go away. If you can find some reliable way of making it happen, that would help!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I'd like to remind everyone reading this that there's a new beta of the main ScummVM builds available here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7119

It would be great if people could download and test this because it will soon become the new stable version of ScummVM, and I want to be sure that it doesn't have any major issues.

It's great that my FT/Dig work has got so much attention but if people could find time to test the main builds too I'd be very grateful.
Doomsdayman

Post by Doomsdayman »

I got it its just a bit complecated then the psp version

P.S are you makeing a ps3 version of scummvm
Bowen747x

Post by Bowen747x »

just started up full throttle for the first time on my DS, looks great!!
Guybrush_Threepwood

Post by Guybrush_Threepwood »

Good morning everyone!

Just finished Full Throttle Version b (english) on my DS Lite with M3 Real and ezFlash V 3in1. Experienced nearly no problems except for some minor sound loops (or do you say glitches?) while loading new locations. The only time I had to turn off subs was during the arena fight due to (i guess) internal ram issues to prevent crashing.
ATTENTION: SPOILER WARNING
Oh, and the game freezes directly after the bunnies hop up the road, but who cares, that´s even past the credits (didn´t know Mark Hamill had three! voice parts in this game)

On to my favorite adventure game of all times: The Dig! The sound is awfully stuttering and it´s slow as hell, but I could cry for joy! It´s running absolutely stable up to the point i´ve played (about a third into the game), even the opening cinematic runs fairly fluent. By the way, i´m playing the German version on the above mentioned specs.

THANK YOU everyone at scummvm for bringing those outstanding game classics back to our beloved handhelds.

Guybrush

Edit PS: Tested with build 5!
Last edited by Guybrush_Threepwood on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guybrush_Threepwood

Post by Guybrush_Threepwood »

Well, ti´s me again already!

I have a question maybe answered thousands of times on this forum by now (can´t find anything contributing by using the search function though).
Would (especially) DOTT and Sam & Max benefit from an external RAM support? These two have similar sound stutterings as FT/TD but even worse (at least on my config: m3 real/ezV 3in1), so maybe they´d improve there as well.
Just curious, @ agentq: is it promising enough to be worth the effort, are you planning to implement RAM support into other scumm builds? Will this one be a part of your regular ScummVM compilation?
Oh, and ScummVM detects my EZFlashV perfectly, but it shows me a RAM size of...wait... 29369128 bytes, that´s roundabout 30 megs, right? I´ve always read about 16 megs or 64, but never 30! Is Scumm correct there? Is my RAM broken (I don´t think so, it works perfectly fine with browsers, homebrew, gba and ScummVM)? Does anybody know???

Once more: Thänx a bunch for all the great work you´ve done so far and will certainly still do
:D