Monkey Island 1 - Sound files

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

StanBop

Monkey Island 1 - Sound files

Post by StanBop »

Hey all
i recently started playing MI1 again on my PC with ScummVM (and it rocks :) ) and decided to port it over to my old DS.

i have the game running perfect, everything apart from one thing... all the sounds are messed up... i start the game and go to the first chapter title scene, i hear the circus music from the fettucini brothers. What is supposed to be the night ambiance music around the town, is actually the jungle ambiance etc etc...

I had experimented with renaming the converted WAV files and it worked but it took loads of time, trial and error.
Could anyone give me a list of track names and the music that should be playing on that track?

like: track01=creepy chords, track2=circus music

Thanks
Stanbop
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

What process did you follow to rip the game's audio tracks from its disk?
StanBop

Post by StanBop »

Followed this down to the letter
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#cdaudio
Format: WAV
Compression: IMA ADPCM
Samplerate: 22050 Hz
Channels: Mono
On the fly encoding: On
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Your files need to be named track01.mp3 (or .ogg or .flacc), track02.mp3 and so on

The first track is track01. Perhaps the program you used to rip the tracks considered the first one to be the game's data track, and shifted all the audio track numbers by 1?
StanBop

Post by StanBop »

no their totally messed up, not just moved by one.
i have the .ogg files but i cant seem to get those running.
another world

Post by another world »

md5 wrote:Your files need to be named track01.mp3 (or .ogg or .flacc), track02.mp3 and so on
this is partially incorrect information. please do the research before posting in this section. the nds port of scummvm does not, and probably will never support .ogg of flac file types. also mp3 files for the cd music are not supported, only for talkie audio tracks.

@StanBop: double check that you encoded correctly. try running them in winamp (or something similiar) and check the file information. based on what you said i'm assuming you have the cd audio version. your files must be not only encoded correctly but named track01.wav, track02.wav - track24.wav (as stated by md5). you will need the two secret of monkey island data files and the 24 wav files in one directory. make sure you are using build A of scummvmds.

you can use an app like iso buster by smart projects to grab the wav audio tracks. keep in mind they should be tracks 02+ on the directory tree, track one would be the data files. after they are off the cd, convert, and then rename.

goodluck!

-another world
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

another world wrote:
md5 wrote:Your files need to be named track01.mp3 (or .ogg or .flacc), track02.mp3 and so on
this is partially incorrect information. please do the research before posting in this section.
Ouch. I would never speak to somebody like md5 like that.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

another world wrote:
this is partially incorrect information. please do the research before posting in this section. the nds port of scummvm does not, and probably will never support .ogg of flac file types. also mp3 files for the cd music are not supported, only for talkie audio tracks.
You know what? ScummVM is ported to more than 20 different platforms, each one with its own peculiarities. Indeed, the DS port does not support MP3/OGG/FLAC files due to its limited resources. But each port has its own peculiarities, and the "partially incorrect" information you're referring to is different depending on the system. I was trying to be helpful and no, I don't have a Nintendo DS system. And yes, I don't remember what audio formats are supported in each platform that ScummVM has been exported to, I have so many other things to remember, and I rarely want to remember information such as this.

But his problem is NOT related to encoding, as you so boldly state, judging from the information he gave us. He mentioned that the game music is played correctly (which means that it has been encoded properly), but the wrong tracks are played. So, before jumping to the wrong conclusions and "partially incorrect" information, it would be best to focus on the actual problem: that the tracks are named incorrectly or are in the wrong order, since he can hear music and not garbage. And the comment about isobuster is irrelevant, because from what he said he has already ripped the audio tracks.

But in any case, this problem has appeared in the past, and it was proved that the user in that case had a pirated version of the game, and he downloaded the music tracks of the game from mixnmojo (which are in the wrong order). So we have to deduce where he got these tracks, before jumping to any other conclusion, because the most likely cause is that these tracks have been converted from the MP3s in mixnmojo...

My 2c