Lands of Lore on the DS?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mr_Figlio

Lands of Lore on the DS?

Post by Mr_Figlio »

It might be a dumb question, but would this game ever work on ScummDS? Or just a regular port like what was done with QuakeDS? I still have the original on CD(with voice) AND diskette(without voice) and I think it would be an amazing game on the DS. Perfect interface to use with the stylus I think.

-Figlio
clem

Re: Lands of Lore on the DS?

Post by clem »

Mr_Figlio wrote:It might be a dumb question, but would this game ever work on ScummDS? Or just a regular port like what was done with QuakeDS? I still have the original on CD(with voice) AND diskette(without voice) and I think it would be an amazing game on the DS. Perfect interface to use with the stylus I think.
Only the sourcecode is missing to have it ported :D (i.e. Quake ports are based upon opened source code; chances to get original source for Lands of Lore are next to zero)

ScummVM plays the intro of LoL, but not more (and it doesn't look like that'll change for the time being). Not sure if the DS version does that too (would be they same build which plays the Kyrandia games)
Mr_Figlio

Post by Mr_Figlio »

Very often on the PC only the intro would play as well (older Windows issues I think). Maybe that would have something to do with it, I dont know. I tried it on the DS but it wouldn't recognize that there was a game in the folder. It did that for a few other games that should be working on the DS version but I'm probably not doing it right. Maybe I'm using the wrong build. I'll try some other ways and see. If anyone else wants to give it a try let me know!!

Dosbox for the DS would be a solution if it could be done.

-Figlio
clem

Post by clem »

Mr_Figlio wrote:Very often on the PC only the intro would play as well (older Windows issues I think). Maybe that would have something to do with it, I dont know.
No; ScummVM simply doesn't know what to do with the game. The intro works because there are similarities to the Kyrandia games, but the main game engine is different.
Mr_Figlio wrote:Dosbox for the DS would be a solution if it could be done.
Dosbox is not feasible on the DS (not enough CPU power, RAM), there have been numerous posts on this forum about it already.
Mr_Figlio

Post by Mr_Figlio »

I know Dosbox isn't possible, I only meant it would be nice if it could be done, but it can't, so anyways.

I've been doing a bit of research into finding the source code. The game has become abandonware I think, since Westwood Studios no longer exists. Who would know about these things? EA bought Westwood so maybe they might know about the source? At any rate, how long does the copywrite last? 20 years I think. 3 more years isnt that long...[/i][/u]
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Mr_Figlio wrote:I've been doing a bit of research into finding the source code. The game has become abandonware I think, since Westwood Studios no longer exists. Who would know about these things? EA bought Westwood so maybe they might know about the source? At any rate, how long does the copywrite last? 20 years I think. 3 more years isnt that long...[/i][/u]
95 years, still a long way to go:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Copyright_FAQ
clem

Post by clem »

Also Westwood Studios didn't just disappear into a puff of nothing. EA owns all the assets (just like with the Kyrandia games), as you pointed out yourself. Abandonware is not a proper concept (some day I might change my forum signature into that, sigh) No they won't let anyone look at the source (ScummVM team tried when kyra engine was WIP, no chance)
warpdesign

Post by warpdesign »

Latest SVN (as of april 2009) plays LOL, not only the introduction :) Support for LOL is coming !

Very few things are now missing to make it playable :)
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

:D (only a fake!!)
Last edited by MajinChibi on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MajinChibi wrote:Image

:D
Hm? Where is this picture taken from? Looks like some quick Photoshop work :)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Only having played with DS homebrew for about 9 months I don't know about all the homebrew avaliable for it but I've never heard of an app to take screen dumps.
Mr_Figlio

Lands on the DS build or regular build?

Post by Mr_Figlio »

Does this mean that Lands of Lore works somewhat? Would that be the DS build or the regular one?
Mr_Figlio

Post by Mr_Figlio »

ScummVM for DS ver. 13.1 doesn't run Lands. Build F pauses when I try to add the game but still no dice. Why give false hope like that? Any clarification would be nice
warpdesign

Post by warpdesign »

Latest Windows SVN build plays LOL.

Support for LOL is disabled in official builds.

As for the screenshot, having both the scene, and the inventory at the same time would require quite some work to the engine (and especially for the DS version). If it works, it will work on one screen first...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Red_Breast wrote:Only having played with DS homebrew for about 9 months I don't know about all the homebrew avaliable for it but I've never heard of an app to take screen dumps.
I didn't say he took the screenshot from the DS ;) . Read warpdesign's answer, that's the reason I said it's a photoshop job :)