DS and R4 problem

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

brainspiller83

DS and R4 problem

Post by brainspiller83 »

I'm currently using the latest R4 card with my DS lite, but I can't seem to get past the loading.. page.

I've downloaded the recent kernal (1.18 ) and the scummvm for ds lite, unzipped and on the R4 ready to be used. Also both monkey island 1 & 2 files are on there as well.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or what should I be doing to fix the problem?? I've looked on both wiki and youtube videos and they both pretty much say same thing that I've been doing.

Thanks for your help
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

What loading page where? The R4 kernel doesn't load? What?

If the R4 isn't loading you may have a fake, where did you download the kernel from? The only official R4DS website is r4ds.cn (previously .com) and you should only download the kernel from there.

Where did you buy the R4 from? All the R4s on sites like Amazon appear to be fakes now. The only real R4 is advertised as the R4 Revolution For DS and the company is the R4DS Team.

Check the visible edges of the PCB at the back, the fake I had was dark green and very poor quality with no labelling visible. My real one was lighter.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Moved this to the Nintendo DS subforum.
brainspiller83

Post by brainspiller83 »

iPwnzorz wrote:What loading page where? The R4 kernel doesn't load? What?

If the R4 isn't loading you may have a fake, where did you download the kernel from? The only official R4DS website is r4ds.cn (previously .com) and you should only download the kernel from there.

Where did you buy the R4 from? All the R4s on sites like Amazon appear to be fakes now. The only real R4 is advertised as the R4 Revolution For DS and the company is the R4DS Team.

Check the visible edges of the PCB at the back, the fake I had was dark green and very poor quality with no labelling visible. My real one was lighter.
I bought mine from amazon, but downloaded the kernal from the official website.

The packaging says NDSL R4, revolution 3 for DS (NDSL/NDS). The website they've printed on it is http://www.ndslr4.com.
On the back of the cartridge itself has like a grassy colour green and the label on the front isn't stuck on straight.

I've recently looked on their website and they've only got 1 available.. The original amazon seller that I got it from aren't selling them anymore either.

It's definitely a fake then, bugger!
Thanks for your help
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Yep you've landed a fake, while it works SOMETIMES but after about 2 weeks it will fail completely.

Welcome to the DS Scene, you will always run into things like this. I'm keeping an eye on Amazon for new real ones (mines falling apart!!) so I'll let you know if I see any.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I got my R4 from www.gameyeeeah.com. Works great. Seems real enough. I didn't order mine with a card so I downloaded the software from the R4 website as well and bought a card separately.